[comp.graphics] Run-length encoded Sun rasterfiles

jwm@SUN4.JHUAPL.EDU (James W. Meritt) (01/26/91)

Is there a program to convert ordinary sun rasterfiles to run-length
encoded sun rasterfiles?  I can do this by loading it into an
editor (touchup) and saving it, but there should be a better way.

Opinions expressed are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily
represent those opinions of this or any other organization.  The facts,
however, simply are and do not "belong" to anyone.
    jwm@sun4.jhuapl.edu or jwm@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu or meritt%aplvm.BITNET

neek@NEEK.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU (Craig Marcus) (01/26/91)

In article <9101251648.AA16056@sun4.jhuapl.edu>, jwm@SUN4.JHUAPL.EDU (James W. Meritt) writes:
|> Is there a program to convert ordinary sun rasterfiles to run-length
|> encoded sun rasterfiles?  I can do this by loading it into an

Also along these lines, does anyone know how to convert the 'old-style'
sun rasterfiles to either the standard or rle type ?  The type
is encoded in bytes 20-24 of the raster file, where:

		0 = oldstyle, 1=standard, and 2=run-length.

It seems that some graphics utilities (ie, FrameMaker) cannot load
old-style formats but have no problem w/ the other 2.

Craig Marcus
Carnegie Mellon U.

dd@mips.com (you talk like a person who has never heard of duct tape) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan25.212307.10252@cs.cmu.edu> neek@NEEK.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU (Craig Marcus) writes:
>In article <9101251648.AA16056@sun4.jhuapl.edu>, jwm@SUN4.JHUAPL.EDU (James W. Meritt) writes:
>|> Is there a program to convert ordinary sun rasterfiles to run-length
>|> encoded sun rasterfiles?  I can do this by loading it into an
>
>Also along these lines, does anyone know how to convert the 'old-style'
>sun rasterfiles to either the standard or rle type ?

The answer to the original question is "/usr/lib/rasfilters/convert.2".

The answer to the new question is "/usr/lib/rasfilters/convert.0".

--
David DiGiacomo, MIPS Computer Systems, Sunnyvale, CA  dd@mips.com