[comp.graphics] PoolTable Turing Test Photo

raisch@Control.COM (Robert Raisch) (01/16/91)

I have recently seen a piece of marketing hype that uses the "famous"
pool table image that was supposed to have passed the "Turing Test"
for computer generated images.  (It's the one where a cueball is seen
striking a set of pool balls, (1,5,11,12), and what makes it really
spectacular is the use of motion blurring.)

My question is, who owns the copyright to this image, and how do I
get in touch with them?

It seems to me that an artist should be remunerated for his work.

-Rob Raisch, Control Technology Corp.

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (01/16/91)

In article <1084@cthulhuControl.COM> raisch@Control.COM (Robert Raisch) writes:
>I have recently seen a piece of marketing hype that uses the "famous"
>pool table image that was supposed to have passed the "Turing Test"
>for computer generated images.  (It's the one where a cueball is seen
>striking a set of pool balls, (1,5,11,12), and what makes it really
>spectacular is the use of motion blurring.)

The only image I could find was one using the balls 1,9,8, and 4 (of course
the name of the image is 1984 :-).  It's in "3D Computer Graphics" by Andrew
Glassner (image C-14) and "An Introduction to Ray Tracing" edited by Glassner
(p193).  It is credited to Tom Porter, Pixar.

Is this the one you were thinking of, or is there another one also??
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (01/18/91)

In article <1971@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) writes:
>The only image I could find was one using the balls 1,9,8, and 4 (of course
>the name of the image is 1984 :-).  It's in "3D Computer Graphics" by Andrew
>Glassner (image C-14) and "An Introduction to Ray Tracing" edited by Glassner
>(p193).  It is credited to Tom Porter, Pixar.

The first place I saw this image was at the art show at SIGGRAPH '85.
It also appears in the January 1986 issue of ACM Transactions on
Graphics.  It is one of the most photorealistic computer generated
images I've ever seen.  The motion blur is not the only thing that is
impressive.  The reflections are well done also.  There is a neon "BUD"
sign and it is even motion blurred on the eight ball.  There is a
window in the pool hall which is reflected in the balls and shows a
person and palm trees outside.  There are pool table lights.

I have a photography background so I did notice one "flaw".  There is
no reflection of a camera lens in the balls.  A real photograph would
have one (actually, a lot of photographers would love to find a way to
produce images of shiny spheres without camera lens reflections so this
is probably a good thing ;-).  Another thing is that I've never seen
any pool balls so pristine as these other than right after they come
out of the box new.  The same goes for the felt.  He should have
shmegged them up a bit ;-).

--Bill Davidson

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (01/18/91)

If this is the image I'm thinking of, there are visible jaggies in some
of the reflections on the balls.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
               "I don't feel right... tonight!" -- Dung

knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll) (01/18/91)

I think the image you are thinking of is "1984" by PIXAR.  The balls
are numbered 1,9,8, and 4, left to right.  A very realistic image.

uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) (01/19/91)

In article <14869@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>In article <1971@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) writes:
>>The only image I could find was one using the balls 1,9,8, and 4 (of course
>>the name of the image is 1984 :-).  It's in "3D Computer Graphics" by Andrew
>>Glassner (image C-14) and "An Introduction to Ray Tracing" edited by Glassner
>>(p193).  It is credited to Tom Porter, Pixar.
>
>The first place I saw this image was at the art show at SIGGRAPH '85.
>It also appears in the January 1986 issue of ACM Transactions on
>Graphics.  It is one of the most photorealistic computer generated
	It was also the cover photo for a "popular" computing or technology
	magazine in 1984 (I think).  I think the magazine is no longer
	with us, but I have the copy in a box at home.  There was a real
	hand with cue  matted in on the cover.  I've moved twice since then
	so the box is probably deeply buried.
>images I've ever seen.  The motion blur is not the only thing that is
>impressive.  The reflections are well done also.  There is a neon "BUD"
>sign and it is even motion blurred on the eight ball.  There is a
>window in the pool hall which is reflected in the balls and shows a
>person and palm trees outside.  There are pool table lights.
>
>I have a photography background so I did notice one "flaw".  There is
>no reflection of a camera lens in the balls.  A real photograph would
>have one (actually, a lot of photographers would love to find a way to
>produce images of shiny spheres without camera lens reflections so this
>is probably a good thing ;-).  Another thing is that I've never seen
>any pool balls so pristine as these other than right after they come
>out of the box new.  The same goes for the felt.  He should have
>shmegged them up a bit ;-).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are not the first to suggest this.  In fact, Tom Porter did another
image that is certainly better in this respect, and I think better in
overall realism.  It is the bowling scene "Textbook Strike".  It is used on
the cover of _The_Renderman_Companion_, but you can see a lot more detail
in a blow up.  I have a poster of it on my wall.

>--Bill Davidson

Sam Uselton		uselton@nas.nasa.gov
employed by CSC		working for NASA		speaking for myself

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (01/19/91)

In article <22705@well.sf.ca.us>, jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
|> If this is the image I'm thinking of, there are visible jaggies in some
|> of the reflections on the balls.
|> ---

really?  where?  The only imperfection I could find was some strobing of
one of the motion-blurred reflections.  But you have to look REAL close to
see it.

Of course, as others have pointed out, the balls and table are too
perfect, which is another imperfection.

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	During an operatic recital at the White House, while the
	nervous soprano was doing her best to please the First Family,
	one of the guests turned to President Coolidge and asked, "What
	do you think of the singer's execution?"

	"I'm all for it,"  Coolidge replied.

aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley) (01/19/91)

robert@sgi.com sez in <1991Jan19.031630.3683@odin.corp.sgi.com>
>Of course, as others have pointed out, the balls and table are too
>perfect, which is another imperfection.

I saw another Turing-test which was a photo of a classroom and a
raytraced copy.  The only way you could tell the difference was because
the board was dirty in one.

Has anyone done any work on making things look dirty and worn?
Everything in the computer-graphic world is shiny and new.

\/ o\ Paul Crowley aipdc@uk.ac.ed.castle
/\__/ Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (01/21/91)

In article <7926@castle.ed.ac.uk> aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley) writes:
>Has anyone done any work on making things look dirty and worn?
>Everything in the computer-graphic world is shiny and new.

James Kajiya of UCLA has made similar comments.  From what I have heard, he is
working in that area.  Anyone associated with Dr Kajiya care to comment?

							spl (the p stands for
							polishing up my pixels)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2572 -- a guest at network.ucsd.edu --
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (01/21/91)

In article <7926@castle.ed.ac.uk> aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley) writes:

>Has anyone done any work on making things look dirty and worn?
>Everything in the computer-graphic world is shiny and new.

  In my images, I work my tail off to make things not appear too "computer-
perfect".  This is relatively easy to do with fractal models of nature.

  Unfortunately, not all complexity in nature is fractal.  Fractals generate
mondo complexity form a simple description; the kind of complexity I observe
in old chalkboards, worn poolballs, asphault, etc., is just not (very) fractal.
Thus it may require a lot more work to imitate convincingly.

  One can resort to the good old manual paintbox solution, but a procedural
method would be really neat to have, eh?

  "We're working on it."

						Ken
--
		The Fundamental Dilemma of Existentialism:

	Eschew obfuscation.			Ignore alien orders.

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (01/25/91)

> In article <7926@castle.ed.ac.uk> aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley) writes
> >Has anyone done any work on making things look dirty and worn?
> >Everything in the computer-graphic world is shiny and new.

Of course, people with non high colour computers have an advantage.

If I am tracing at a low res, I just turn dithering on and it seems to
add texture to objects... 1/2 :-)

Still hoping to swap QRT files, thanks to those who have answered already.

--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies

stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) (01/26/91)

F. Ken Musgrave writes:
>Paul Crowley writes:
>>
>>Has anyone done any work on making things look dirty and worn?
>>Everything in the computer-graphic world is shiny and new.
>
>  In my images, I work my tail off to make things not appear too "computer-
>perfect".  This is relatively easy to do with fractal models of nature.
>
>  Unfortunately, not all complexity in nature is fractal.  Fractals generate
>mondo complexity form a simple description; the kind of complexity I observe
>in old chalkboards, worn poolballs, asphault, etc., is just not (very) fractal.
>Thus it may require a lot more work to imitate convincingly.

Why are fractals so important? Any stochastic model will do. One way to add
"dirt" is by texture mapping or solid texturing. (see for example the cover
of the Renderman manual).

I wouldn't mind seeing more dirt in computer generated images, just for
the sake of variety. By analogy, figurative art is not only restricted to
hyperrealism.

Jos

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (01/26/91)

Re: Discriminating realistic appearing synthetic imagery.

A test image generator must consider a lot of factors when trying
to fool a viewer.  You can spend a lot of time, but the benefits
of realism do not come simply for the cost.  For this reason
we need what I call "computational test pilots" [critics of a sort]
who are more knowledgeable than the general public and can look for
image artifacts.

In article <1991Jan25.142659.3914@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>
stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) writes:
>I wouldn't mind seeing more dirt in computer generated images, just for
>the sake of variety. By analogy, figurative art is not only restricted to
>hyperrealism.

1] first attmept
1) take computer generated image, go outside.
2) grab a hand full of soil, sprinkle lightly.

or 2] second attempt
1) view local 'red' light district,
2) generate NC-17(tm) images.

;^)

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene
  AMERICA: CHANGE IT OR LOSE IT.

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.142659.3914@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) writes:
>I wouldn't mind seeing more dirt in computer generated images, just for
>the sake of variety. By analogy, figurative art is not only restricted to
>hyperrealism.

The pool table picture was an attempt at photo-realism; something we
are getting closer to but can't quite do.  It was an extremely good
example (especially for 1984) though it attacked something that was
relatively easy (spheres and green felt).  I think the real emphasis
was coming up with a good model for motion blur (it made my jaw drop
when I first saw it).  It almost looks like a real photograph with
strobes.  There are two major clues: the lack of imperfection and the
lack of camera lens reflection in the balls.  In many professionaly
produced pictures of shiny spherical objects, the camera lens is
retouched out or obscured by other reflections around it (you can't
shoot it without the reflection; it's impossible).  If you were really
trying to fool the viewer (given that that is a goal) you might even
put in a camera lens reflection.

More generally, lighting models are getting really good; to the point
that objects look as if they could be real, even though in all cases
you know they aren't (I have yet to see a computer generated image that
I couldn't tell was not a photograph of a real scene though some took a
few seconds of looking).  Of course we could debate how important
photorealism really is.  While in general, I don't need it or really
care, it would be nice to know that you could do it if you wanted to.
As far as being for variety, it seems like an awful lot of work for
mere variety.  You'll get more pleasing variety from creative artists
using computer graphics than from a small technical improvment (gained
at great expense).  This is not to say that I am against increased
photorealism but "variety" just seems like a dumb reason.  Increasing
the state of the art and available tools for artists and scientists is
a better reason.

--Bill Davidson

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.142659.3914@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) writes:
>Why are fractals so important? Any stochastic model will do. One way to add
>"dirt" is by texture mapping or solid texturing. (see for example the cover
>of the Renderman manual).

  Yes, the reference to fractals in my posting was a bit indicative of my
peculiar world view.  Fractals are the most compact way of describing
complexity in nature.  "Dirt", in order to be realistic, should be complex.
It can also be quite heterogeneous and thereby non-fractal, as it is the
quality of self-similarity that characterizes fractals.

  By the same token, no simple texture can represent dirt well.  A hand-painted
texture map is trivial; you might as well scan photographs of dirt and
scuffing.  If it's not described with a formula or an algorithm it's not
computer graphics, it's art or craft.  (Again, I'm showing my prejudice in
favor of procedural models.)

  Have a good close look at a "trompe l'oeil" still life painting (e.g., Ken
Davies) to get an example of the kind of complexity involved in artful
depiction of dirt and wear.  We have a long way to come, in computer graphics.
Yet the inclusion of such imperfections is essential to the computer graphics
"Turing test", and to the aesthetic flexibility of the computer as a medium for
visual art.

						Soap Boxken

--

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (01/26/91)

In article <15115@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>In article <1991Jan25.142659.3914@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) writes:
>>I wouldn't mind seeing more dirt in computer generated images, just for
>>the sake of variety. By analogy, figurative art is not only restricted to
>>hyperrealism.
>
>The pool table picture was an attempt at photo-realism; something we
>are getting closer to but can't quite do.  It was an extremely good
>example (especially for 1984) though it attacked something that was
>relatively easy (spheres and green felt).

> In many professionaly
>produced pictures of shiny spherical objects, the camera lens is
>retouched out or obscured by other reflections around it (you can't
>shoot it without the reflection; it's impossible).

But you can come arbitrarily close: take the picture through a
neutral density filter whose front surface reflects onto a large surround
of black felt. And put the camera in the dark. A 10 percent transmission
filter works well.

Doug McDonald

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan26.144101.27840@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>In article <15115@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>> In many professionaly
>>produced pictures of shiny spherical objects, the camera lens is
>>retouched out or obscured by other reflections around it (you can't
>>shoot it without the reflection; it's impossible).
>
>But you can come arbitrarily close: take the picture through a
>neutral density filter whose front surface reflects onto a large surround
>of black felt. And put the camera in the dark. A 10 percent transmission
>filter works well.

While it's true that this will make the camera reflection pretty much
disappear it can cause other problems.

Can you say flare?  I knew you could.

Also, you have to make your apparatus cover the field of view of the
spherical object (180 degrees in all directions) without having the
fact that it is an apparatus visible.  In most cases that's very
problematic.  Large gel's tend to exhibit all sorts of imperfections
which reflect in those shiny objects.  These imperfections also
translate onto your film directly (since you are shooting through
them.  Plus there's more places for dust to collect and it all adds up
to make that picture you thought was going to crisp and vibrant into a
fuzzy mess.  Just retouching the camera out in the first place makes
for a better image.

I've spent a lot of time in the studio trying to learn how to do
advertising work.  Crisp, vibrant photos are a main-stay in this type
of work.  I used to shoot 4x5 most of the time and spend a hell of
a lot of time trying to make the crispest photos possible.  I know
what I'm talking about because I've tried it.

This is getting away from CG; follow-ups to rec.photo (which I don't
read anymore).

--Bill Davidson

jaapv@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (01/27/91)

In article <15115@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>In article <1991Jan25.142659.3914@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) writes:
>>I wouldn't mind seeing more dirt in computer generated images, just for
>>the sake of variety. By analogy, figurative art is not only restricted to
>>hyperrealism.
>
>The pool table picture was an attempt at photo-realism; something we
>are getting closer to but can't quite do.  It was an extremely good
>example (especially for 1984) though it attacked something that was
[...]
And more discussion of same. By this time, I'm getting highly
interested in this photograph/image. I've read in earlier posts
that it's in a book; is there an electronic version of it (the
original?) available somewhere? And ftp-address would be highly
appreciated.

--
Regards, Jaap.

Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.
jaapv@cc.ruu.nl      +<-*|*->+      I claim *every*thing and speak for myself

pfl@eniac.tmc.edu (Pedro Faria Lopes) (01/29/91)

In article <7926@castle.ed.ac.uk>, aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley) writes:
> robert@sgi.com sez in <1991Jan19.031630.3683@odin.corp.sgi.com>
> >Of course, as others have pointed out, the balls and table are too
> >perfect, which is another imperfection.
> ...some text deleted here...
> Has anyone done any work on making things look dirty and worn?
> Everything in the computer-graphic world is shiny and new.

not everything! have you seen "Paris 1789"? it's a computer generated film
done in 1989 to celebrate the bicentenaire of the french revolution.
Most of the scenes that include 3D buildings and gardens have that warn and
non-perfect look. They avoided the use of solid textures and, instead, they
used projected maps. the images to map were created with the help of a paint
system and done manually. that's how they avoided the clean shiny new look...

> \/ o\ Paul Crowley aipdc@uk.ac.ed.castle
> /\__/ Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

pedro faria lopes
--
Carl, Computer Animation Research Lab. @ INESC, Phone: 351 1 545150
pfl@eniac.inesc.pt   pfl@eniac.uucp             Fax:   351 1 525843

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (01/29/91)

In article <1125@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> jaapv@accucx.UUCP (Jaap Verhage) writes:
>In article <15115@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>>The pool table picture was an attempt at photo-realism; something we
>>are getting closer to but can't quite do.  It was an extremely good
>>example (especially for 1984) though it attacked something that was
>[...]
>And more discussion of same. By this time, I'm getting highly
>interested in this photograph/image. I've read in earlier posts
>that it's in a book; is there an electronic version of it (the
>original?) available somewhere? And ftp-address would be highly
>appreciated.

I personally would love to have a version of it.  It's copyrighted by
Pixar.  Perhaps they can be persuaded to make it available (I know they
have people who read this group).  Some work will probably have to be
done to make it ftp-able.  The version I first saw was (I think) an
8x10 glossy photo-print.  You could get as close to it as you wanted
and you couldn't see jaggies (I didn't have a lupe handy ;-).  I would
guess that the original is probably 4k to 8k pixels across with at
least 24-bit's of color resolution.  That's a hell of a lot of data
(maybe as much as 150Mb); considerably more than most sites would
consider reasonable for ftp.  My vote (if I had one) would be for
something around 1280x1024x24 tiff or Sun Raster or some other widely
known format (this is still about 3.75Mb uncompressed; compression
would be necessary for obvious reasons).  I would think it would
compress well with all that green felt.

--Bill Davidson

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (01/30/91)

  This is a posting on behalf of Holly Rushmeier, who is having trouble
posting to the net.

>All I wanted to add to the discussion about imperfections in
>graphics images was that I thought the following paper
>"Imperfection for Realistic Image Synthesis" by Becket and Badler
>The Journal of Visualization & Computer Animation Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 26-32.
>was a pretty good  discussion of the problem and a few
>attempts to deal with it. Its a paper you might
>me interested in if you haven't already run across it.
>-- Holly

  This is a new European journal published by Wiley & Sons, Sussex, England.

>I'd like to see the discussion move forward in time
>from talking about an image that was after all published 7 yrs ago.
>Also, in case no one has mentioned it, the 1984 picture and the
>side by side conference rooms Greg Ward did appear in Foley,
>van Dam , Feiner and Hughes.
>And finally, as far as Turing tests go, there is only one paper
>that I know of where anybody did direct side by side tests of
>real and synthetic images (our obscure TOG article from '86). If
>people on the net know of similar experiments since then, unpublished
>or published I would be interested in hearing about them. (Oops,
>I forgot, there is one other paper -- the automotive appearance
>paper by the Toyota group in the last Siggraph).
>-- Holly

  Hear hear! - that kind of side-by-side comparison, particularly in the
kind of carefully controlled environment of the radiosity experiments,
approaches the real practice of Science.

						Ken (for Holly)

--
		The Fundamental Dilemma of Existentialism:

	Eschew obfuscation.			Ignore alien orders.

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (01/31/91)

  Again, I'm posting for Holly Rushmeier:

          Greg Ward did the conference room comparison, and there is an article
          about the software he wrote and more images (mainly in black and
	  white) in the June 1990 issue of "Lighting Design and Application".

          There have been a few other places in which real and
          synthesized images have been compared:
          "An Experimental Evaluation of Computer Graphics Imagery" by
          Meyer et al. , Jan '86 ACM Transactions on Graphics.
          (compares images of the red-white-blue box)

          "Accurate Rendering Technique Based on Colorimetric
          Conception" by Takagi et al., in SIGGRAPH '90 (compares
          images of cars)

          The feature article on Akira Fujimoto in the May 1989 IEEE
          Computer Graphics & Applications.(compares images of a
          hallway in a hotel)

          I would be very interested in hearing about any other
          efforts to compare real and synthetic images. Also I would
          like to get any other references about adding imperfections.

	  hr3@prism.gatech.edu (RUSHMEIER,HOLLY E)