[comp.graphics] Transfering Mac picts to be read into Alias on the SGI.

robertl@skat.usc.edu (Robert Letterman) (01/26/91)

Does anyone know of a way to convert Macintosh pict or tiff files to a format readable by the program Alias running on a Silicon Graphics Iris for the purpose of texture mapping.

Also does anyone know of a filter that allows Alias to output RIB files
for use with Pixar's Renderman.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Reid Ellis) (01/27/91)

In <29620@usc> robertl@skat.usc.edu (Robert Letterman) writes:
|Does anyone know of a way to convert Macintosh pict or tiff files to a
|format readable by the program Alias running on a Silicon Graphics
|Iris for the purpose of texture mapping.

You can use the beta version of the new PBM package -- it includes
some utilities for reading PICT files now and I think it has a filter
for output of SGI image files.  Once you have the SGI image files,
I've seen a utility posted here a while ago called "toalias" that
converts from SGI Image format to Alias PIX format.

|Also does anyone know of a filter that allows Alias to output RIB files
|for use with Pixar's Renderman.

Can't help you there, sorry..
					Reid
--
Reid Ellis  176 Brookbanks Drive, Toronto ON, M3A 2T5 Canada
rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      ||  rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu

topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) (01/29/91)

In article <rae.664968141@barney> Reid Ellis <rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> writes:
>In <29620@usc> robertl@skat.usc.edu (Robert Letterman) writes:
>|Does anyone know of a way to convert Macintosh pict or tiff files to a
>|format readable by the program Alias running on a Silicon Graphics
>|Iris for the purpose of texture mapping.
>
>You can use the beta version of the new PBM package -- it includes
>some utilities for reading PICT files now and I think it has a filter
>for output of SGI image files.  Once you have the SGI image files,
>I've seen a utility posted here a while ago called "toalias" that
>converts from SGI Image format to Alias PIX format.
>
>|Also does anyone know of a filter that allows Alias to output RIB files
>|for use with Pixar's Renderman.
>
>Can't help you there, sorry..
>					Reid
>--
>Reid Ellis  176 Brookbanks Drive, Toronto ON, M3A 2T5 Canada
>rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      ||  rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu
>CDA0610@applelink.apple.com   ||             +1 416 446 1644

The last time I looked the PICT -> PBM (actually PPM) utility did not
handle PICT1 files (1 bit) or 16 or 32 bit PICT2 files.
It also throws away all non-bitmap information -
circles, rectangles, etc.  Also (sorry to harp) it doesn't properly
handle all PICT OpCodes, so there is a chance that, in addition to
the aforementioned limitations, it will not work on some valid 2-8 bit images.

Bob Munroe
topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

Reid Ellis <rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> (01/30/91)

R. Munroe <topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> writes:
|The last time I looked the PICT -> PBM (actually PPM) utility did not
|handle PICT1 files (1 bit) or 16 or 32 bit PICT2 files.
[other problems deleted]

What I do for this is to convert my PICT file to GIF on my Mac using
one of the many picture manipulating utilities available, upload that
to the Iris, and then use the "fromgif" and "toalias" tools posted
here and elsewhere in the past.

Hope this helps..
					Reid
--

turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (02/01/91)

In article <29620@usc> robertl@skat.usc.edu (Robert Letterman) writes:

> >Does anyone know of a way to convert Macintosh pict or tiff files to a
> format readable by the program Alias running on a Silicon Graphics Iris
> for the purpose of texture mapping.

Try Adobe PhotoShop on the Mac.  It can at least make a raw RGB file from
a PICT.
--
Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Internet: turk@apple.com