[comp.graphics] Solid Black GIF Image

trammell@engin.umich.edu (James Trammell) (02/02/91)

I'd like to know what is involved in writing a C program to generate a
perfect 1152 x 900 solid black gif image?  I assume that a gif file
has a header section that tells whatever program is loading it how big
it is, how many colors it has, etc.  I guess i'd just have to fabricate
that data, then start a loop to knock out about 500k of bytes that, when
loaded as a GIF file, would generate a solid black 1152 by 900 image.
anyone know what information a GIF file contains in its header and
how it is all organized?  Thanks.

James Trammell					      University of Michigan

	"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

trammell@caen.engin.umich.edu

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.233210.24030@engin.umich.edu> trammell@engin.umich.edu (James Trammell) writes:
>I'd like to know what is involved in writing a C program to generate a
>perfect 1152 x 900 solid black gif image?  I assume that a gif file

If you have access to a PC, you might look in at 2 packages at simtel20, et al.
the packages are gifkit11.arc and giflib11.zip.  They are in the appropriate
pd1:<msdos.graphics> directories.  The giflib package is listed as a turbo c
library for manipulating gif files.  I'm not postive it contains source code,
so you may stike out there.  gifkit  is listed as utilities to manipulate gif
images, and I'm not sure if it's just all executables or is source is included.

Hope this helps.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'