[comp.graphics] sun color raster images

gt5116b@prism.gatech.EDU (TUREK,GABRIELLA) (02/06/91)

I'm would like to know if there is a way to transform sun
standard color raster images to GIF format. If so, with what
and where do i find it.
Please aswer to me directly as i usually don't read
these news groups.
Thank you Gaby gt5116b@prism.gatech.edu

blochc@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (charles bloch) (02/06/91)

In article <21276@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt5116b@prism.gatech.EDU (TUREK,GABRIELLA) writes:
>I'm would like to know if there is a way to transform sun
>standard color raster images to GIF format. If so, with what
>and where do i find it.
>Please aswer to me directly as i usually don't read
>these news groups.
>Thank you Gaby gt5116b@prism.gatech.edu

Actually, it would be better if someone could POST the answer, as this
question has up (at least once a day) in this newgroup, alt.graphics,
alt.graphics.pixutils, and alt.sex.pictures.d.  I'm not sure where the
right place to ask this question is (evidently no one else is either,
or it wouldn't be posted everywhere), but it would be nice to see the
answer posted to all of the above groups, to try to stop the frequent
questions.

I have seen the general answer (in a FAQ posting as well as from other
users) to 1) get PBMPLUS if you don't already have it (ftp site given)
	  2) use rasttoppm followed by ppmtogif to get the desired
results.

I tried to follow the above prescription, but 1) PBMPLUS does not have
rasttoppm in it, and 2) PBMPLUS has many files and seems to require
more technical expertise to compile the right codes than I have.
Others have run in to the same 2 problems and posted saying so.  So
who can make it easier for us amateurs?

Thanks on behalf of a multitude of dummies...
--
# Chuck Bloch				blochc@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu   #
# IUCF					blochc@gold.bitnet              #

warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (02/06/91)

Use the "fbm" and "pbm" conversion software.

From the bottom of man entries:

fbm: by Michael L. Mauldin  mlm@cs.cmu.edu  (May 1989 address)
pbm: by Jef Poskanzer (1988)

So just find out if you have fbm & pbm available, then read the man entries.
--
   _  |\	warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
  / `-' *  <--	Computer Science Department,