[comp.graphics] Grad. Schools in comp. graphics

ah2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Aaron Noel Hughes) (02/01/91)

Could you netters out there give me a few pointers in the right
direction as to which graduate schools have graduate programs in
computer graphics?
(preferably out on the west coast)

Thanks a bunch,

Aaron

p_davis@epik.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) (02/02/91)

In article <8be5Muu00Vp788V0NP@andrew.cmu.edu>, ah2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Aaron Noel Hughes) writes...
>Could you netters out there give me a few pointers in the right
>direction as to which graduate schools have graduate programs in
>computer graphics?
>(preferably out on the west coast)

Write to SIGGRAPH at:

	ACM SIGGRAPH
	c/o Association for Computing Machinery
	11 W. 42nd Street
	New York, NY 10036

or call them and ask for the Computer Graphics Career Handbook.  This describes
various areas within the field of computer graphics, and lists schools which
offer programs in those areas.

-pd

parghi@cs.uiuc.edu (Amit Parghi) (02/05/91)

ksbooth@cs.ubc.ca (Kellogg Booth) writes:
>ah2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Aaron Noel Hughes) writes:
>>                which graduate schools have graduate programs in
>>computer graphics?
>>(preferably out on the west coast)

>The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>has masters and PhD programs in computer science in which computer graphics
>is offered as a research area.

Hmmph!  "Kellogg Booth", indeed!  Who is this guy, anyway?

Seriously, though:
1. ACM publishes a student assistantship directory, which is (supposedly)
   mailed out to all student members about once a year.  If you don't have
   one, check with your local ACM student chapter.  The directory contains
   brief write-ups on the areas of research and financial assistance
   available for each computer science department listed.  (Of course, the
   level of information present in the directory is dependent on what each
   department chose to send back, and it's always out of date, but it's
   still quite good.)

2. Check out the "Computer Graphics Career Handbook" which somebody
   recommended a few days ago.  It's pretty good, though it doesn't really
   say much about grad school.  (If I recall correctly, it does, however,
   have a nifty listing of employers in the field).

3. This is probably the most important information source: LOOK FOR IT
   YOURSELF.  Being at CMU, you have access to the resources of TWO
   universities (CMU and Pitt), between which you should be able to find
   all the information you need.  First, check with your local CS
   department to see if they have any booklets, brochures, or posters from
   other departments.  Then check for addresses in Peterson's or other
   guides.  Look at the departmental descriptions in the catalogues of
   interesting universities.  Write to the departments for applications
   and detailed brochures.

4. Looking at journal articles and conference proceedings over the last
   few years should give you a reasonable idea of the work being done in
   the field, and the people and groups doing it.  Good sources include
   IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, SIGGRAPH proceedings, ACM
   Transactions on Graphics, and (if you can find them), the proceedings
   of Graphics Interface (known as GI).

5. To get you started, here's a *partial* list of universities "out west"
   which have something in "computer graphics" (note that my definition of
   graphics may be broader than yours):
University of British Columbia		Vancouver, BC*
		(6356 Agricultural Road, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1W5, Canada)
University of Calgary			Calgary, Alberta*
University of Washington		Seattle, Washington
		(FR-35, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 98195)
University of California, Berkeley	Berkeley, California
University of California, Santa Cruz	Santa Cruz, California
Caltech					Pasadena, California, 91125
University of Utah			Salt Lake City, Utah
		(Merrill Engineering Bldg, Salt Lake City, UT, 84112)
Brigham Young University		Provo, Utah, 84602
Rice University				Houston, Texas
University of Texas			Austin, Texas, 78712

   Others closer to your part of the world include:
Carnegie-Mellon University		Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
University of Pennsylvania		Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute	Troy, New York
Cornell University			Ithaca, New York, 14853
New York Institute of Technology	New York, New York
University of Toronto			Toronto, Ontario*
University of Waterloo			Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G3, Canada*
Ohio State University			Columbus, Ohio
		(2036 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH, 43210-1277)
University of North Carolina		Chapel Hill, NC, 27599-3175

* Note that Canadian universities generally accept a smaller proportion of
  foreign applicants than of Canadian applicants.

Hope this helps.
Amit

bcorrie@csr (Brian Corrie) (02/06/91)

parghi@cs.uiuc.edu (Amit Parghi) writes:
>ksbooth@cs.ubc.ca (Kellogg Booth) writes:
>>ah2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Aaron Noel Hughes) writes:
>>>                which graduate schools have graduate programs in
>>>computer graphics?
>>>(preferably out on the west coast)

Whole bunch of good infoe deleted....

Just thought I'd add that Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, B.C.
Canada has a fairly strong graphics group, and is a great area to live

8-)    8-)   8-)

parghi@cs.uiuc.edu (Amit Parghi) writes:
>* Note that Canadian universities generally accept a smaller proportion of
>  foreign applicants than of Canadian applicants.

My two cents worth.....

	Brian (bcorrie@csr.uvic.ca)

Brian Corrie, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C.
            bcorrie@csr.uvic.ca

td@alice.att.com (Tom Duff) (02/06/91)

parghi@cs.uiuc.edu (Amit Parghi) says:
>Hmmph!  "Kellogg Booth", indeed!  Who is this guy, anyway?
Obviously you don't go to many breakfast cereal trade shows.
After you visit the General Mills Booth, you can walk over to ...

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (02/06/91)

  Keep your eye on Yale as well.  We may enter the fray with a computer
graphics program, soon.  Real soon...

							Ken
--

  If you can not get rid of a family skeleton,
  you may as well make it dance.		  - George Bernard Shaw