[comp.graphics] Graphic File Formats

robert@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Robert Viduya) (12/21/86)

>amamaral@elrond.UUCP (Alan Amaral) (amamaral@elrond.UUCP, <507@elrond.UUCP>):
> In article <6901@decwrl.DEC.COM>, rost@decwrl.DEC.COM (Randi Rost) writes:
> > I have created a library of C routines for reading/writing/creating
> > Object File Format files...
> > I'm not sure about distributing the sources on the network, but if
> > there is enough demand, perhaps I can twist some upper-management
> > arms to let me do such a thing.
>
> Please do post the sources if humanly possible.  I have been looking for
> some reasonable file format that I can use where I stand a snowballs chance
> in hell of exchanging info with others easily.

There are other file formats floating around that will handle porting
graphics from machine to machine.  The one I'm most familier with is
Commodore's IFF (Interchange File Format) which allows to store not
only graphics but other info as well such as sound or even just plain
text.  The Amiga uses IFF and full documentation as well as a few
sample C programs for reading and writing IFF files can be found in
the ROM Kernal Reference Manual for the machine.

Putting my obvious bias aside (I own an Amiga) and looking at things
objectively, I would say that the best thing to go with is the new
GKS Metafile format that ANSI and ISO are supposedly working on.
I've not been able to find this particular standard in the GaTech
library (I'm not sure it's even an accepted standard yet), so I
can't really say much about it.  However, it does have a few things
going for it:

	o	It's a standard developed and supported by an
		organization devoted to standards.  These tend
		to not change too much as time goes on and when
		they do, it's almost always guaranteed to be
		compatible and always has a good reason for the
		change.

	o	Standards developed by companies tend to have a
		more difficult time being accepted by other
		companies, especially those in direct competition
		to the developing company.  Instead, those other
		companies tend to come up with their own standards
		(incompatible, of course) leading to a plethora of
		incompatible standards.  As an example of this, look
		at the various sets of control sequences used for
		terminal control.  It's only been recently that
		ANSI's X3.64 standard has garnered wide-spread
		acceptance.

Of course, there are drawbacks with things developed by a committee.
However, I think those drawbacks are more acceptable than the total
anarchy that would ensue if the standard organization didn't exist.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya					     robert@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services					(404) 894-4660

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (12/25/86)

In article <2824@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) writes:
>GKS Metafile format that ANSI and ISO are supposedly working on.
>I've not been able to find this particular standard in the GaTech
>library (I'm not sure it's even an accepted standard yet)

I think you are referring to the Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM).
This IS in fact an accepted standard!  As of 8/27/86, it is
American National Standard X3.122-1986, available from

    ANSI
    1430 Broadway
    New York, NY   10018

The same document is also an international standard, IS 8632
(accepted just this fall, and still being typeset I believe).

Both standards have four parts:  Part 1 defines the functionality, Part
2 is a Character Encoding (cryptic and compact, good for I/O
transmission), Part 3 is a Binary Encoding (good for file storage), and
Part 4 is a Clear Text Encoding (good if you have to read or edit the
thing).

The CGM was developed to be used by GKS and others for archiving
pictures.  In addition to vector graphics functions, it also
includes a rudimentary raster format (CELL ARRAY), and
"hooks" for putting in implementation-dependent information in the file
(APPLICATION DATA, GENERALIZED DRAWING PRIMITIVE, and ESCAPE).

The CGM is the basis for the CGI (interface to graphics "Virtual
Devices") and for an Extended CGM which will provide GKS audit
trail capability and the CGI's extended raster functionality
(among other things).

By all means, if you want to implement something that has some
chance of being portable between different vendors, and an expected
lifetime longer than the current rev of <your favorite o/s here>,
check out the CGM!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
 "...like a song that's born to soar the sky..."
UUCP  : {hplabs|hp-pcd|hpfcla|hpda|noscvax|gould9|sdcsvax}!hp-sdd!andrea
UUCP  : {cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}!hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea
ARPA  : hp-sdd!andrea@nosc.arpa
CSNET : hp-sdd!andrea@hplabs.csnet
USnail: 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

bferrer@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU (02/07/91)

	Can somebody please send me on file formats for GIF and raw RGB files?

thanks in advance

bill

torgerse@udel.edu (Todd Torgersen) (02/07/91)

    Does anyone out there know of a public domain device
driver for an HP 7221C pen plotter.  In particular, I
would like to convert from HPGL to the device.

   Sorry to bother the group with such a trivial item,
but I have called HP numerous times.  On those rare occasions
when I actually get a HUMAN to talk to, he or she has refered
me to some other phone number which either does not answer or
refers me to ......

   Thank you.  Please respond directly by e-mail to (Todd Torgersen):

      torgerse@mthcsc.wfu.edu    (128.109.96.1)

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (02/07/91)

In article <9102061257.aa28859@Bonnie.ics.uci.edu> bferrer@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:

>	Can somebody please send me on file formats for GIF
                                                        ^^^

These can be obtained (in a non-compressed form) from vmtecmex.cem.itesm.mx
(132.254.1.4).  It has files for both 87a and 89a formats.  This is a VM/CMS
IBM SYS/370 machine.  When you login, do  CD GIF  or  CD GIF-L (been a while,
I forget which).

>                                                           and raw RGB files?
                                                                ^^^^^^^
3 files, one for each color plane, ordered (generally) top-down, left-right.
That is info for (1,1),(2,1),(3,1).....(MaxX,1),(1,2),(2,2)....(1,MaxY),(2,MaxY)
(3,MaxY)....(MaxX,MaxY).  No header information in the file, just pure 24-bit
color information.

--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | RN ate my
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| .newsrc!