[comp.graphics] How well does anti-aliasing work on VGA text?

robert@jetsun.weitek.COM (Robert Plamondon) (02/07/91)

Wysiwyg is neat, but half the time I can't make out what I'm typing;
10-point screen characters are made up of only a handful of pixels.

I've been told that anti-aliasing improves the apparent resolution
immensely.  With a VGA-based system, it seems to me that there ought
to be enough grey levels in the default palette to do a decent job.

Is anti-aliased text all it's cracked up to be?  And does anyone have
a product for PC-based systems that uses it?

	-- Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.165002.14065@jetsun.weitek.COM> robert@jetsun.weitek.COM (Robert Plamondon) writes:

>Wysiwyg is neat, but half the time I can't make out what I'm typing;
>10-point screen characters are made up of only a handful of pixels.
>
>I've been told that anti-aliasing improves the apparent resolution
>immensely.  With a VGA-based system, it seems to me that there ought
>to be enough grey levels in the default palette to do a decent job.
>
>Is anti-aliased text all it's cracked up to be?  And does anyone have
>a product for PC-based systems that uses it?

Yes it works beautifully. Yes, the TeX screen previewer from EmTeX
does it. This is not WYSIWYG while typing in, but comes amazingly,
really really, close to WYSIWYG while previewing, especially on a super VGA.

Beautiful yes. Easier on the eyes??? Well, lets see those scientific studies.

Doug McDonald