[comp.graphics] HELP! on radiosity.

sandvig@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) (02/05/91)

Could someone out there PLEASE mail me or post C source to a version of the
Gauss-Seidel algorithm suitable for solving the radiosity equation.

I looked at the SOR alg. in "Numerical Recip." but couldn't make out how to
apply it to this case.  _u_ is a vector, not a matrix, as is _f_; not to
mention all the other terms they ask for that just aren't there.

Your help will be eternally appreciated (even if spelled wrong).
--

                                   -Cary
                        (I need a better library)

dplu1@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (DavidJames Plumpton ) (02/07/91)

In <SANDVIG.91Feb4163452@poincare.geom.umn.edu> sandvig@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Cary &) writes:

>Could someone out there PLEASE mail me or post C source to a version of the
>Gauss-Seidel algorithm suitable for solving the radiosity equation.

>I looked at the SOR alg. in "Numerical Recip." but couldn't make out how to
>apply it to this case.  _u_ is a vector, not a matrix, as is _f_; not to
>mention all the other terms they ask for that just aren't there.

>Your help will be eternally appreciated (even if spelled wrong).
>--

>                                   -Cary
>                        (I need a better library)

Hey wow!  Someone's still playing with full matrix radiosity.  Is this for
comparison purposes with the progressive algorithm?  I didn't think anybody
still tried to get a complete matrix solution.  The usual thing these days
seems to be to converge as far as you can be bothered, and then either do
the rest with an ambient term, or forget it altogether...

--
David