[net.cooks] Removing garlic smell

bub@ames.UUCP (Bubbette McLeod) (04/12/85)

Any other contact lens wears have rather painful experiences removing
lenses after choppoing garlic, onions, or WORSE chilies? Know of any
soap that'll remove the oil that won't also sting your eyes? So far
I've had to remove the lenses before serious salsa making ...

Bub
{allegra,dual,hao,hplabs,ihnp4}!ames!bub

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (04/12/85)

Bubbette McLeod writes:
>Any other contact lens wears have rather painful experiences removing
>lenses after choppoing garlic, onions, or WORSE chilies? Know of any
>soap that'll remove the oil that won't also sting your eyes? So far
>I've had to remove the lenses before serious salsa making ...

I once added cayenne to chili and then washed my hands.  About an hour
later, I touched my eyelid and it HURT!!!  I had to rinse it with cold
water for about five minutes, and it still hurt.  Now, I always use a
spoon for measuring out cayenne (even for a pinch).  For anything else,
I wash my hands with dishwashing soap immediately after the seasoning
preparation and then wash the dishes before I try doing anything with
my eyes.  The prolonged time under water with lots of soap seems to help.
If I think I might need to take my contacts out, I do it before chopping.
					Beth Katz
					{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!beth