[comp.graphics] GIF Editor

bo@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bo Slaughter) (10/11/89)

Does anyone know of a good shareware GIF editor?
I would like to take GIF files and change them.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bo Slaughter

rbq@iforgetmyname.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Robert Quattlebaum) (10/11/89)

In article <6733@hubcap.clemson.edu> bo@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bo Slaughter) writes:
>Does anyone know of a good shareware GIF editor?
>I would like to take GIF files and change them.

I, too, am looking for one of these.

R. Quattlebaum			My employer doesn't CARE what I think.
"God is love, not religion"     So what does it matter what I say?

		gatech!galbp!iforgetmyname.LBP.HARRIS.COM!rbq

finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) (10/13/89)

In article <8889@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> rbq@iforgetmyname.UUCP (Robert Quattlebaum) writes:
>In article <6733@hubcap.clemson.edu> bo@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bo Slaughter) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a good shareware GIF editor?
>>I would like to take GIF files and change them.
>
>I, too, am looking for one of these.

The paint program that comes with the Grasp package can handle these, allthough
this is not shareware. I think it is called Pictor.
Personally, I use a conversion program called VPIC, that will convert from
almost anything to almost anything. I convert to PC Paintbrush format (.pcx).

--
+=====================+========================+=============================+
|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@nec.mojo.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |

cab3@uafhp.uark.edu (Chad A. Bersche) (02/08/91)

I am in need of a good GIF file editor that will allow me to edit a GIF file
regardless of the amount of memory I have installed on my video card.  I have
several GIF files that are (by default size) too large to display on my
machine, but they have acres of border that could be chopped off and the image
be none the worse for wear.  I'd rather it run on either a 386 (I've got 8M of
RAM and a Paradise Plus VGA card with 256K memory) or a Sun workstation (I've
only got access to a black and white machine, so it'd have to keep the colors
in memory while the editing was taking place).  If anyone has a good program,
or source to one, or even an inkling as to whether such a thing exists, I'd
appreciate your help.  Please respond via e-mail, as I may miss the post here.
Thanks!

cab3@engr.uark.edu  -  Chad A. Bersche  Univ. of Arkansas Fayetteville CSEG
Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?
							- Arthur Dent

peter@hobbes.ccs.uwo.ca (Mr. Peter Budgell) (02/11/91)

In article <cab3.665984901@uafhp> cab3@uafhp.uark.edu (Chad A. Bersche) writes:

>I am in need of a good GIF file editor that will allow me to edit a GIF file
>regardless of the amount of memory I have installed on my video card.  I have
>several GIF files that are (by default size) too large to display on my
>machine, but they have acres of border that could be chopped off and the image
>be none the worse for wear.  I'd rather it run on either a 386 (I've got 8M of
>RAM and a Paradise Plus VGA card with 256K memory) or a Sun workstation (I've
>only got access to a black and white machine, so it'd have to keep the colors
>in memory while the editing was taking place).  If anyone has a good program,
>or source to one, or even an inkling as to whether such a thing exists, I'd
>appreciate your help.

Try PICLAB which runs on the PC and is available on many
BBS's and FTP hosts.  I believe the latest version is
1.82

It crops, reads and writes GIF and other formats, including TARGA in
24 bit color.

It resizes, smooths, changes brightness, contrast, and converts format.
It works on the images using hard disk storage, not screen memory, so
it handles all image sizes.

It also will do color quantization from 24 bit color to 256 color,
as well as dithering for improved shading.

It can dither to permit 4 bit color EGA images, too.