[comp.graphics] Graphics Standards?

cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) (01/31/91)

Following the federal Applications Portability Profile recommendations,
which of the following standards fit what types of software products:

GKS
CGM
PHIGS
IGES

Where would an item like TIFF fit?

Any known source of info about the good, bad, and ugly nature of any of the
above mentioned "standards"?

jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (02/13/91)

> From: cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier)
>
> Following the federal Applications Portability Profile recommendations,
> which of the following standards fit what types of software products:
>
> GKS
> CGM
> PHIGS
> IGES
>
> Where would an item like TIFF fit?

CGM has some bitmap facilities.

> Any known source of info about the good, bad, and ugly nature of any of the
> above mentioned "standards"?

GKS - Graphical Kernal System - geometric graphics system
CGM - Computer Graphics Metafile - archive of graphics commands - very
      useful for plotting.
PHIGS - the best graphics standard!  3D geometric graphics with lighting
      and shading and neat primitives to draw fancy pictures.
IGES - Initial Graphics Exchange S(ystem?) - used to exchange CAD databases
      between CAD vendors.  Published by the US Govt.

If you are looking for a broad overview of graphics standards you might
try this:

>   Guidelines for determining when to use GKS and when to use PHIGS
>   Bettels, J.; Bono, P.R.; McGinnis, E.; Rix, J.
>   Author Affil:  Digital Equipment Corp., Geneva, Switzerland
>   Source: Comput. Graph. Forum (Netherlands)  vol.7, no.4,    pp.: 347-54
>   Publication Year: Dec. 1988
>   (29 Refs)
>   Abstract:  GKS,  GKS-3D, and PHIGS are all approved ISO standards for the
> application  programmer  interface.  How  do system analysts or programmers
> decide which standard to use for their application? The authors discuss the
> range  of  application  requirements  likely to be encountered, explore the
> suitability  of  GKS and PHIGS for satisfying these requirements, and offer
> guidelines to aid in the decision process.

I know I've seen other overviews of graphics standards. Just none recently.

There are a couple of books on CGM and GKS, but I do not have the
references written down.

As, for PHIGS, there are not any books out yet.  You can get the standard
itself from ANSI in New York. (212) 354-3300.  For PHIGS you want
ANSI X3.144-1988 or ISO 9592.  They will also have the GKS and CGM specs.

There are at least 2 books on PHIGS coming out.  Last year at SIGGRAPH90
both Addison-Wesley and Prentice Hall said they would have books out by
the end of the year...  Prentice Hall now says "very soon".  Addison
Wesley is a little more specific: first week of March in UK and first
week of April in the US. The title will be " A PRACTICAL INTRODUCTION TO
PHIGS and PHIGS PLUS"

I've heard rumors of rumors of two others, but nothing specific.  It
would be great to hear about any others coming out...

--
-Jan "YON" Hardenbergh       jch@stardent.com         (508)-371-9810x261
Stardent Computer, 6 N.E. Tech Center, 521 Virginia Rd,Concord, MA 01742