[comp.graphics] clipping algorithms

bgh@ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) (02/12/91)

i'm building a graphics interface to a engineering simulation system my company
is developing and am looking for information on which clipping algorithm might
be best suited for the job.

the data involved is in the form of polylines representing surface features
and a two dimensional grid of surface elevations. the coding language is C,
with the polylines stored as a linear array of x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2...

the current implementation uses the 3d version of the evans-sutherland algo on
a R3000 based workstation, with porting to the RS6000 probable. the line
segments between data points are on the order of 20 metres long along the
polylines, with the area being modelled 7km by 5km. in operation, aprox. 10%
will be within the viewport at any given time.

thanks, barry

--
~~~~~~~ ..walkin on the beaches, lookin at the peaches

fsb@vitro.com (Steve Brailsford) (02/12/91)

In <1991Feb12.070730.1051@ice9.uucp> bgh@ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) writes:

>i'm building a graphics interface to a engineering simulation system my company
>is developing and am looking for information on which clipping algorithm might
>be best suited for the job.

Check out Jim Blinn's Corner in "IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications."
November 1990, Vol. 10 No. 6 (ISSN 0272-1716)
It's got what looks like an idea solution for you.

I wish I had this when I wrote the software for a graphics board
we designed.  I used the latest SIGGraph article on clipping and
it worked pretty well, but this one looks so much cleaner.  It
also is very well suited for polylines.
I was going to code it up when I have the time one of these days.

Hope this helps.
--
    Steve Brailsford (fsb@vitro.com)      _____
    Usenet:  uupsi!vitro!fsb            \/itro Corporation

fsb@vitro.com (Steve Brailsford) (02/14/91)

In <1991Feb12.140638.8787@vitro.com> fsb@vitro.com (Steve Brailsford) writes:

>In <1991Feb12.070730.1051@ice9.uucp> bgh@ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) writes:

>>i'm building a graphics interface to a engineering simulation system my company
>>is developing and am looking for information on which clipping algorithm might
>>be best suited for the job.

>Check out Jim Blinn's Corner in "IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications."
>November 1990, Vol. 10 No. 6 (ISSN 0272-1716)
>It's got what looks like an idea solution for you.

It's really in
January 1991, Vol. 11 No. 1 (ISSN 0272-1716)

Sorry for any inconvenience.