[comp.graphics] Psychophysics

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (02/15/91)

From: hr3@prism.gatech.edu (RUSHMEIER,HOLLY E)
Subject: Psycho Graphics

I don't have posting privileges, but the discussion you have
been carrying on interests me a lot.
My view is we need a model of the radiation (i.e. the visible
light, the "physics" part people refer to) and a model of the
sensor. I make some images for people to look at, some images
for a simulation of an infrared sensor to look at, and some
for the simulation of a camera in a robotics system to look
at. Having a sensor model I can determine the accuracy I need
in my radiation model, and avoid chasing down every photon.
People have used psychophysics a lot, i.e. for color and anti-aliasing,
but we need to do more to tie in a model of perception to the
radiosity, or monte carlo solution we do for the radiation so we
don't have to compute forever to get little variations that no
one can see.
-- Holly Rushmeier
hr3@hydra.gatech.edu