[comp.graphics] Pascal GIF Viewer ?

dcolman@gara.une.oz.au (Doug Colman) (02/24/91)

Can anyone help me ? I would like to be able to display
a GIF image from within my own Turbo Pascal source code.
Is there some routine(s) that anyone knows of or could send
to help with this ? I am new to NEWS, kindly sendfile or
mail me. If there is a more appropriate technoque, please
say. THANX. Doug Colman.

Does anyone know how GIF images are actually scanned ?
On what kind of hardware and software ? How is a palette
of 256 selected from a possible 256k as with VGA mode 13 ?

steve@cad0.arch.unsw.oz.au (Stephen Peter) (02/25/91)

In article <5451@gara.une.oz.au> dcolman@gara.une.oz.au (Doug Colman) writes:
>Can anyone help me ? I would like to be able to display
>a GIF image from within my own Turbo Pascal source code.

Use  anonymous ftp to log onto  sol.deakin.oz.au then cd to
/pub/PC/simtel-20/gif  where you will find many gif related files
including:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>
 Filename   Type Length   Date   Description
GIF-CSRC.ZIP  B    5019  901218  C source code for a GIF decoder
GIF-DOC.ZIP   B   35857  901218  Docs re new/old GIF formats & compression
GIF-PAS.ZIP   B   59023  901218  Pascal source code for a GIF viewer

The description of GIF-PAS.ZIP doesnot say so, but you can assume that the
"Pascal" means Turbo Pascal.

If you dont have a ZIP extractor look in the  /pub/PC/simtel-20/zip directory
there should be a file called  pkz110eu.exe  which is a self-extracting
archive file containing the pkzip program.

If you dont know how to use anonymous ftp, talk to your friendly system
administrator...

Stephen Peter                                    steve@cad0.arch.unsw.oz.au
School of Architecture, University of New South Wales, Australia.