[net.cooks] Canadian Pea Soup

denise@cca.UUCP (Denise Higgins) (04/16/85)

I'm as Canadian as they come and to be frank I don't know any
other type of pea soup other than the one below.  In my experience
to make anything authentically Canadian, just add loads of onions!!!
(please note that exact measurements are not typical of recipes
handed down through the generations)  If anyone is interested in
other "Canadian" dishes, please let me know.

    Canadian Pea Soup

  2 ham hocks (or a ham bone)
  3 carrots - peel and diced
  1 lb. split peas
  1 large onion diced

Throw everything into a pot with about 2 qts of water (more or less
for thick, thin soup).  Cook for approximately 3 hours on low heat
(test for doneness when peas are soft or mushy - however you desire
your pea soup texture).  An optional ingredient is to add salt
pork (previously fried), however, I feel that ham is usually salty
enough and lends its own natural flavor.

   Bon apetit !

larryk@tektronix.UUCP (Larry Kohn) (04/19/85)

In article <2244@cca.UUCP> denise@cca.UUCP (Denise Higgins) writes:

>    Canadian Pea Soup
>
>  2 ham hocks (or a ham bone)
>  3 carrots - peel and diced
>  1 lb. split peas
>  1 large onion diced
>

>Throw everything into a pot with about 2 qts of water (more or less
>for thick, thin soup).  Cook for approximately 3 hours on low heat

OR ABOUT 8 HOURS ON MEDIUM HEAT, IN A "CROCK POT" OR "SLOW COOKER"