[comp.graphics] draft PHIGS C binding

gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu (Greg Couch) (02/26/91)

Can anyone tell me why the PHIGS C binding is stil a draft standard?
The public review period ended in January 1989!  What gives?

	- Greg Couch
	gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu

sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) (02/27/91)

In article <gregc.667527985@zeno.mmwb.ucsf.edu> gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu (Greg Couch) writes:
|Can anyone tell me why the PHIGS C binding is stil a draft standard?
|The public review period ended in January 1989!  What gives?

It was the c bindings to GKS that closed 1991-01-19.

The voting period for PHIGS terminates 1991-04-04 so it will be an international
standard some  month after it. You ask why still draft, how can you
standardise the c bindings before the c language? It will take 1-2 years
after the c standard.

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
Internet: sow@cad.luth.se

pflueger@gmdzi.gmd.de (Clemens Pflueger) (02/28/91)

gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu (Greg Couch) writes:

>sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) writes:

>>You ask why still draft, how can you
>>standardise the c bindings before the c language? It will take 1-2 years
>>after the c standard.

>Evidently the international standards (ISO) take an additional one to two
>years?

So here are some more PHIGS-C dates from ISO:

In July 90 the DIS text went out for voting and comments. This is
the 6 months 'ballot period'. The comments are now discussed and incorporated.

On April 17, 1991 there will be a meeting of the ISO group for language
bindings for computer graphics standards, ISO/IEC JTC1 SC24 WG4. They
(probably) will accept the final text, or do some minor changes (which will
take again some time), and the central ISO secretariat will start
publishing the standard (which also will take up to three months).

Thus we can expect the ISO PHIGS-C standard to be published by ISO
by end of 1991.

	Clemens Pflueger
  Clemens Pflueger, pflueger@gmdzi.gmd.de, (++49 2241) 14-2331
  Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung (GMD)
  German National Research Centre for Computer Science
  Schloss Birlinghoven, Postfach 1240, D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1, FRG

pflueger@gmdzi.gmd.de (Clemens Pflueger) (02/28/91)

gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu (Greg Couch) writes:

>sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) writes:

>>You ask why still draft, how can you
>>standardise the c bindings before the c language? It will take 1-2 years
>>after the c standard.

>Evidently the international standards (ISO) take an additional one to two
>years?

So here are some more PHIGS-C dates from ISO:

In July 90 the DIS text went out for voting and comments. This is
called the 6 months 'ballot period'.

On April 17, 1991 there will be a meeting of the ISO group for language
bindings for computer graphics standard (ISO/IEC JTC1 SC24 WG4). They
will decide about the proposed changes and (probably) accept the final
text.

Then the editor has to incorporate the changes (which will
take again some time) and give the document to the central ISO
secretariat for publishing (which also will take up to three months).