[comp.graphics] Medical CT Scan info

jim@sniff.tamu.edu (02/28/91)

Hello,

I hope that this is the right group to post to.

My lab is just getting into working with CT data.  We are currently
using Sunvision on a Sparcstation 1+. Our CT machine produces
256 x 256, 16 bit images. Some of the problems that we have had is
in scaling the data to 8 bits for Sunvsision. We have had some luck
in displaying images, but there seems to be some degradation between
what the CT machine displays and what we are able to display.  Our
ultimate goal is 3D volume rendering of stuctures from the CT slices.

I am looking for info in the following areas:

1. quanitizing of data from 16 bit to 8 bit (I have seen some info
   on converting from 24 bit color to 8 bit, but nothing on 16 bit
   grayscale to 8 bit grayscale)

2. Should we be using the Delta (Housefield) values for the reconstruction
   and where can I get some info on calulating these values (our radiology
   department knows how to work the machine, but that is all)

Thanks,
Jim Snell, DVM, MS
Department of Veterinary Anatomy
and Public Health