[net.cooks] economical chicken

jeanm@mako.UUCP (Jean McEvoy) (04/17/85)

No waste/economical chicken takes a little time but is a very tasty for a
special dinner and easy on your pocketbook.

             CHICKEN CUTLETS/ITALIAN STYLE
             _____________________________

One 5-pound box of chicken breasts.  (Food stores have these 5-pound boxes
of chicken on sale occasionally for $5.-$6.)

Use a sharp knife to remove chicken from bones.  (It's best to do this
when the chicken isn't completely defrosted.) Remove skins.

Beat together 1/4 cup milk and 1 egg.

Dip boned chicken in milk/egg mixture - then cover with Italian bread crumbs.

Fry in vegetable oil until brown (does not have to be cooked through).
After frying place on paper towels to drain off excess oil.

In a casserole dish place -

   1) a layer of your favorite Italian sauce
   2) a layer of chicken
   3) a layer of mozzarella cheese

Repeat 1) 2) 3) above.

Cover casserole disk and place in oven at 350o for 45 minutes.

This dish is really good with a salad, Italian bread and bottle of your
favorite red wine.

The bones and skins make an exellent soup -

Add the bones/skins to 2 quarts of water (bring to a boil).

Add:  3/4 cup diced celery
      1 large onion (diced)
      1 cup diced carrots (optional)
      2 pinches parsley flakes
      season to taste

Bring to a boil again and simmer for 1 hour.  Add a mixture of flour/water
to thicken.  Simmer for another hour.  Remove bones/skins.  When the bones
are cool remove whatever meat is left on the bones and add to the soup.
(Your dog will enjoy eating the skins.)

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (04/19/85)

--------
[]
>In article <708@mako.UUCP> jeanm@mako.UUCP (Jean McEvoy) writes:
>
>             CHICKEN CUTLETS/ITALIAN STYLE
>             _____________________________
>
>Fry in vegetable oil until brown ...

VEGETABLE OIL ???? ***  Never mind the cholesterol, use OLIVE OIL!

...(various Italian insulting gestures)...   (:-)
Opinions expressed have been generated solely by line-noise.
{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!cadtec!rick    N1150G   (408) 942-1535
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!"

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (04/22/85)

In article <83@cadtec.UUCP> rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) writes:
>>In article <708@mako.UUCP> jeanm@mako.UUCP (Jean McEvoy) writes:
>>
>>             CHICKEN CUTLETS/ITALIAN STYLE
>>
>>Fry in vegetable oil until brown ...
>
>VEGETABLE OIL ???? ***  Never mind the cholesterol, use OLIVE OIL!
>
>...(various Italian insulting gestures)...   (:-)

Olives aren't vegetables?  What are they?

...various Germanic insulting gestures  :-)

(don't worry, Jean, we mako-ites stick together  *grin* )

        _____
        |___|           the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_               Snoopy
       \_____/          tektronix!mako!seifert