[comp.graphics] How do you start a new group

crs@siesoft.co.uk (Chris Smith) (01/29/91)

I think that it is about time that there was a comp.graphics.pictures.

It is a poor reflection on the Net when alt.sex has pictures but the
group that actually deals with graphics doesn't.  I don't know the
correct way to go about this but, IS ANYBODY INTERESTED?

	Chris Smith				<crs@siesoft.co.uk>

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (01/30/91)

[Note:  I have cross-posted this to news.groups with followups directed to same
-mrc]

In article <1991Jan29.073924.23331@siesoft.co.uk> crs@siesoft.co.uk (Chris Smith) writes:

>I think that it is about time that there was a comp.graphics.pictures.

New to system, eh?  :->

Actually, there is *supposed* to be a discussion going on in news.groups
concerning the creation of just such a group.  Discussion was initiated near
the end of last year with an extend discussion period to compensate for the
holidays.  It seems, however, that discussion has dropped off.

Last I remember, David M. Read had volunteered to be moderator.  We were
discussing such things as maximum volume for the group, censorship issues, and
group name.

I looked through news.groups and news.announce.newgroups but couldn't find the
list of current discussion and voting status of groups.  Was I looking in the
wrong groups??   Anyway, I believe voting is scheduled to come up soon, as in
early February.  I think David was also the one who initiated the CFD and will
probably issue the CFV as well.

I think the biggest issue was the group name.  Rec.images wasn't supported
because many sites don't get alt.* or rec.*.  Other possibilities are
comp.images, comp.binaries.images, and comp.graphics.images.

I suppose that we should try to get the discussion going again, so people will
be aware of the upcoming vote, and vote accordingly.  I'd best go and cross-
post this to a.s.p.d as well.

When is the vote scheduled, anyway?
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.073924.23331@siesoft.co.uk> crs@siesoft.co.uk (Chris Smith) writes:
>I think that it is about time that there was a comp.graphics.pictures.

I think you'll find that this group is about *generating* images,
not about trading them...

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (02/03/91)

In article <58167@bsu-ucs.uucp> 00dapoorbaug@bsu-ucs.uucp (I DON'T SCREW WITH MY BRAIN AND DON'T THINK WITH MY DICK...) writes:
>Yah, I'll agree this is quite a bit more about generating images, however
>what about us peon's with piddly little 7Mhz PC's?

Uh, I dunno.  Start a different group.  I've got a 68000-based machine
that does *great* graphics, so just stick to integer-based rendering.

>Or is there a newsgroup someplace I'm missing?

alt.fractals, for your fractal questions.  Take a look in
news.announce.newusers or news.lists for a complete list of all groups.

--

niall@c3.PLA.CA.US (Neal Bedard) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Jan29.211234.7561@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:
>In article <1991Jan29.073924.23331@siesoft.co.uk> crs@siesoft.co.uk (Chris Smith) writes:
>>I think that it is about time that there was a comp.graphics.pictures.
>
>I think you'll find that this group is about *generating* images,
>not about trading them...

Image processing isn't about "generating" images (by definition), yet wouldn't
it be foolish (or at least, blatantly chauvinistic) to eliminate that topic
from comp.graphics? What about storage media? Compression? Display gamma
correction? Color space conversion? Computer graphics is a _process_, of which
image "generation" is but a part. To assert that comp.graphics is about
"generating" images is like saying that the discipline of audio science is
about making sounds.

In the specific cases of image processing and compression, one needs test
images - of both the natural (scanned) and synthetic variety - to serve as
"standards" in evaluating the effectiveness of image processing algorithms and
their applications. Further, the results of processing images are also of
interest, particularly if doing so at local sites is impractical because of
non-portable software or extreme compute time.

Thus far, image interchange has been done by ftp, e-mail, or by posting the
images in alt.sex.pictures; all of these methods have limitations. A group
devoted to propagating images of interest to graphics developers would ease
the exchange process, and would result in more-robust image processing
applications. It is an idea whose time has come.

-Neal
[niall@c3.com]