[comp.graphics] 3-d splines

jpjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James P. Joyce) (02/14/91)

I have a set of 3-points.  I would like to draw a spline through these
points.  Does anyone have any references or pointers to where I can look
this up?

Its easy enough to draw splines through 2-D points, but I'm not sure how
to do it with 3-points.

						Thanks
						Jim

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) (02/26/91)

jpjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James P. Joyce) writes:

>I have a set of 3-points.  I would like to draw a spline through these
>points.  Does anyone have any references or pointers to where I can look
>this up?

>Its easy enough to draw splines through 2-D points, but I'm not sure how
>to do it with 3-points.

If what yuu refer to as 2D splines is a set of Y points as a '}ifunction'
of set of }iX points, then that is really a 1D spline, where X is the 'time'
axis. To traw an N dimension spline, use N of these 1D splines, where the
set of X (time) values are the same for all variables. I use 7 D splines
for camera motion in my raytracing program fr'instance...

>						Thanks
>						Jim

Ye~rr welcome (sorry for the noisy line)
/Z
--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *          (This rent for space)
* My signature is smaller than  * Be warned! The letter 'Z' is Copyright 1991

joerg@cat.de (Markus Schichtel) (03/05/91)

Zap Andersson (zap@lysator.liu.se) schrieb am 26. 2.:
> jpjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James P. Joyce) writes:
>
> >I have a set of 3-points.  I would like to draw a spline through these
> >points.  Does anyone have any references or pointers to where I can look
> >this up?
>
> >Its easy enough to draw splines through 2-D points, but I'm not sure how
> >to do it with 3-points.
>
> If what yuu refer to as 2D splines is a set of Y points as a '}ifunction'

May I suggest to look into literature on Bezier or Bspline techniques
they are formulated to use them in d-space.
For more infos feel free to e-mail me personally.
Markus

---
  Markus Schichtel (joerg@cat.de)
  C.A.T. Kommunikations-System, Frankfurt, Germany