[comp.graphics] IGES

gintz@cg-atla.UUCP (Dave Gintz ) (03/15/89)

I am looking for information on IGES as pertains to specific
IGES entities. I am particularly looking for descriptions of
the "Sectioned Area (230) Entity". If there is any expert out
there who would be willing to send me a telephone number so that
I could call them and ask stupid questions, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

(I've looked at the spec but it isn't totally clear to me.)

Very Truly Yours,

David Gintz, Consultant [Langlais Software Inc.]
c/o Agfa Compugraphic
MS 200II-3-7K
200 Ballardvale Street
Wilmington, MA 01887
508-658-5600  X5411
.!{decvax,ima,ulowell}!cg-atla!gintz

olasov@heathcliff (Benjamin Olasov) (03/15/89)

There is a ~ 500 page  publication available from  the National Bureau
of Standards   that  covers all   IGES   interface  specifications  in
excruciating detail.  I don't have the exact title or phone # available
now.  Their address is:

U.S. Department of Commerce
National Bureau of Standards
Bldg. 220
Room A150
Gathersburg, MD  20899

Good luck!

Ben

lutmann@geocub.greco-prog.fr (05/28/90)

        I'd like to work with IGES format file. So I'm looking for someone
        who'd like to help me!

        What I need is the description of the IGES format. I'll appreciate
        any pointers... (book references, notes, and so on). I *need* this
        because I intend to build an IGES to HPGL converter.

                            Thanks in advance,

                                        Johan.

.-----------------------------.
|           Johan             |    ...!uunet!mcsun!inria!geocub!goofi!lutmann
| On goofi, at ENSERB, France |    ...!uunet!mcsun!inria!geocub!deimos!pat
`-----------------------------'

pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Bourke) (03/05/91)

Could someone please supply me with information on the IGES graphics
file format. Like, who developed it, what are its strong points,
what are its problems. How successful is it...etc...

daili@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (DaiLi) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.084757.28856@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Bourke) writes:
>Could someone please supply me with information on the IGES graphics
>file format. Like, who developed it, what are its strong points,
>what are its problems. How successful is it...etc...

Here Iam interested in too....

brets@hpnmdla.hp.com (Bret Strain) (03/07/91)

>In comp.graphics, pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Bourke) writes:
>
>    Could someone please supply me with information on the IGES graphics
>    file format. Like, who developed it, what are its strong points,
>    what are its problems. How successful is it...etc...

IGES (Initial Graphics Exchange Specification)  Current revision 5.0.

Developed by a committee of representitives of the CAE/CAD/CAM industry.

Published by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S.
Department of Commerce.

Contact: Nancy Flower (703) 698-9600 extension 325 to order a spec.

Its primary use is to interchange design data and annotation for
(primarily) mechnical 2D and some 3D databases.

It is a well documented standard, and it is in common use with
mechanical CAD/CAM systems as well as some FE analysis packages.

The standard is not perfect.  It does not transfer 3D solid geometry.
It has a reasonbly rich specification in which many CAD/CAM systems only
implement a subset of its definition.

Strong points:

Documented standard.
Well accepted.

Weak points:

Like all standards, the semantics (based on implementations I've
seen) are not absolutely robust.
Does not handle 3D solid geometry.
The standard is "rich" (i.e. complex in many ways).