[comp.graphics] NFF previewer?

flynn@cse.nd.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (03/05/91)

Has anyone implemented a `previewer' for NFF files?  By `previewer', I mean
a program that eats a NFF scene description and QUICKLY spits out a wireframe
(or some other inexpensive) drawing of the scene.

ASIDE{
  Why is such a beastie useful?
  For students, it provides a quick way for them to verify that they've
specified
  their view parameters correctly, that their objects are in the desired
  configuration, etc.  I'm teaching graphics to 40 students this semester and
  would like (both for their sake and mine) to give them some nice tools
  to start with, so they can do something interesting rather than simply
  hack code all the time.  MTV's ray tracer is a great teaching tool, and
  an `el-cheapo' NFF renderer would be a great addition, for those situations
  (`prototyping' a scene or sequence of scenes) when speed is more important
  than realism.
}

It shouldn't be too hard to write this previewer; I'll probably do it
myself (*gulp*) if nobody else has already, but I thought I'd query the
net before diving in.

Send e-mail or follow up if you have code/suggestions/brickbats.

TTFN
--
Patrick J. Flynn, Computer Science & Engineering, University of Notre Dame
flynn@cse.nd.edu

bernie@eric.ecr.mu.oz (Bernie Kirby) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.143437.5214@news.nd.edu>, flynn@cse.nd.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) writes:
> Has anyone implemented a `previewer' for NFF files?  By `previewer', I mean
> a program that eats a NFF scene description and QUICKLY spits out a wireframe
> (or some other inexpensive) drawing of the scene.

	There is an NFF previewer available for anonymous FTP on
	gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au [128.250.1.63] pub/preview.c.
	It uses the vogle library which is also available as pub/vogle.tar.Z

	Bernie.

flynn@shillelagh.cse.nd.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (03/06/91)

In article <6998@munnari.oz.au>, bernie@eric.ecr.mu.oz (Bernie Kirby) writes:
>In article <1991Mar5.143437.5214@news.nd.edu>, flynn@cse.nd.edu
(Patrick J. Flynn) writes:
>> Has anyone implemented a `previewer' for NFF files?  By `previewer', I mean
>> a program that eats a NFF scene description and QUICKLY spits out a
wireframe
>> (or some other inexpensive) drawing of the scene.
>
>	There is an NFF previewer available for anonymous FTP on
>	gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au [128.250.1.63] pub/preview.c.
>	It uses the vogle library which is also available as pub/vogle.tar.Z

Wow, what service!  Elapsed time: about 10 hours.

If anyone on this side of the pond wants the preview.c program, it's
now available for anonymous FTP from shillelagh.cse.nd.edu (129.74.9.7).
You can get the VOGLE library from uunet.

I tried the previewer; it does what I need.

TTFN
--

erich@eye.com (Eric Haines) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.143437.5214@news.nd.edu> flynn@cse.nd.edu writes:
>Has anyone implemented a `previewer' for NFF files?  By `previewer', I mean
>a program that eats a NFF scene description and QUICKLY spits out a wireframe
>(or some other inexpensive) drawing of the scene.

I've got one that works on HP workstations, if you'd like it.  Nothing fancy
(the mouse controls viewing a little bit), but it works.

Eric Haines, erich@eye.com

mg@ (Mike Gigante) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.143437.5214@news.nd.edu>, flynn@cse.nd.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) writes:
> Has anyone implemented a `previewer' for NFF files?  By `previewer', I mean
> a program that eats a NFF scene description and QUICKLY spits out a wireframe
> (or some other inexpensive) drawing of the scene.

There is a NFF previewer for Silicon Graphics workstations available on
godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au (131.170.14.2). Make sure you grab the readme
file also.

It uses the hardware lighting and Zbuffer on the SGI machines to give a
very fast preview.

Mike Gigante
ACGC, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
Melbourne, Australia
mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au

andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (03/08/91)

In article <mg.668269777@godzilla> mg@ (Mike Gigante) writes:
>There is a NFF previewer for Silicon Graphics workstations available on
>godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au (131.170.14.2).  [...]

Any chance of making source available for this (e.g. for use on
IBM RS/6000's)?

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory