[comp.graphics] Questions and Answers about Platonic Solids

pruss@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Alexander Pruss) (03/05/91)

I recently received (indirectly) a set of co-ordinates for the seven platonic
solids originally posted (I think) by awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu.
I wrote some clever code that changed these co-ordinates into a more useful
form for people like me who actually want to look at the solids - the
code takes the different vertex co-ordinates, and figures out which are
connected to form edges and which edges connect to form faces.  Then your
favourite 3d graphic package can be easily used to look at them.
The reason I am posting is first to let people know that this info is
available (if they care ;-) and second is to ask about the 7th solid
in the list, the Icosidodecahedron.  The co-ordinate list of this solid
contains an ominous looking ... which doesn't seem to obviously translate
into extra vertices.  Currently it has 30 vertices (I think) but my program
decides that this means there should be some fractional (2.2 or something)
number of edges in a face which isn't right.
Are there some more vertices?  How many edges/faces should it have and are
all the edges the same length (my program assumes all edges are the same
length to work out # edges, # faces, # edges/face etc. which is true for
all other platonic solids).

What gives?
pat
.

mcastle@mcs213e.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/08/91)

In article <2421@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> pruss@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Alexander Pruss) writes:
>I recently received (indirectly) a set of co-ordinates for the seven platonic
                                                                ^^^^^
Umm, aren't there only 5 platonic solids?? (According to Glassner, 6 when
counting the teapotahedron :-).

Most likely the 6th and 7th are symmetric in some way, but not true Platonic
solids.

--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) (03/09/91)

In article <2346@umriscc.isc.umr.edu>, mcastle@mcs213e.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) writes:
> In article <2421@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> pruss@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Alexander Pruss) writes:
> >I recently received (indirectly) a set of co-ordinates for the seven platonic
>                                                                 ^^^^^
> Umm, aren't there only 5 platonic solids?? (According to Glassner, 6 when
> counting the teapotahedron :-).
>
> Most likely the 6th and 7th are symmetric in some way, but not true Platonic
> solids.
>
> >solids originally posted (I think) by awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu.
>

> --
> Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
>                 mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL
> Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly, and be right | operating
> all the time, or not work at all, and be right twice a day.  | system. :->

I saved this original posting, but never looked at it close enough
(until now) to notice that, indeed, that last solid looks kind of
funky. Here it is for reference. The "..." don't intuitively map to
specific values. If anyone out there can explain it, please feel free.

--

   -paul	pmartz@dsd.es.com
		Evans & Sutherland