[comp.graphics] AT&T Pixel machine

gest_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) (02/20/91)

Question:
	Does anyone know if a front end for the RayLib package for the AT&T
Pixel machine exists?  Or any other utilities that might be used with it?
(i.e. using some other software and a conversion package to get images
traced on the Pixel.)

Thanks,
Gavin Stark
University of Rochester Graphics Laboratory
gest@escher.cc.rochester.edu or gest_ss@cc.rochester.edu

parnoux@dorsai.com (patrick arnoux) (03/10/91)

gest_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) writes:

> Question:
> 	Does anyone know if a front end for the RayLib package for the AT&T
> Pixel machine exists?  Or any other utilities that might be used with it?
> (i.e. using some other software and a conversion package to get images
> traced on the Pixel.)

CAVSoftware in New York City has a renderer running on the Pixel Machine
which reads RIB files (RenderMan Interface Bytestream). The implementation
is fairly complete (Just read Steve Upstill's book, all the information
is there). But while it is possible to generate images from Dimension,
Macromind, Strata, Swivel, and most other modelers that output RIB, the
program cannot deal with "shader files". Pixar does not release the
format of the .slo files, therefore only a limited number of preset
shader types are built into the program. It's too bad, because the
Pixel Machine is a real screamer and images that render in hours
on other machines render in seconds or minutes, any image that
takes close to an hour is both HUGE! and COMPLEX!.
The machine is just the thing for animations.
                        Patrick Arnoux

bcorrie@csr (Brian Corrie) (03/12/91)

parnoux@dorsai.com (patrick arnoux) writes:
>gest_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) writes:
>>
>> Question:
>> 	Does anyone know if a front end for the RayLib package for the AT&T
>> Pixel machine exists?  Or any other utilities that might be used with it?
>> (i.e. using some other software and a conversion package to get images
>> traced on the Pixel.)
>>

>CAVSoftware in New York City has a renderer running on the Pixel Machine
>which reads RIB files (RenderMan Interface Bytestream). The implementation
>is fairly complete (Just read Steve Upstill's book, all the information
>is there). But while it is possible to generate images from Dimension,
>Macromind, Strata, Swivel, and most other modelers that output RIB, the
>program cannot deal with "shader files". Pixar does not release the
>format of the .slo files, therefore only a limited number of preset

Can anyone fill me in on just what a .slo file is? I am playing/thinking
about RenderMan and the shading language, but do not have access to any
RenderMan renderers, so don't know how they work. Is the shading language
interpreted at run/render time, or do they do dynamic loading of the
shader descriptions some how, with the .slo files the executables for
the shader???? I realize this will vary with the implementation, but
some general ideas would be great, if you happen to use a RenderMan
renderer that supports the shading language.

>shader types are built into the program. It's too bad, because the
>Pixel Machine is a real screamer and images that render in hours
>on other machines render in seconds or minutes, any image that
>takes close to an hour is both HUGE! and COMPLEX!.
>The machine is just the thing for animations.
>                        Patrick Arnoux

Thanks for any help you can throw my way....

	Brian
--
Brian Corrie, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C.  bcorrie@csr.uvic.ca
Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature,