[net.cooks] Berry Pudding

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (04/24/85)

Here is my offering to those of you out in net-land who looove berries of any
kind (especially strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries).  This recipe
appeared in a local paper some time back, and is a modification of a recipe
from either "Food That Really Schmecks" or "More Food That Really Schmecks"
by Edna Staebler.  (I'll rave about them in another article, soon.)

This recipe is a batter pudding with berries as a bottom layer.  It may not
be the most elegant of recipes, but it sure is good.  Enjoy.

                       BERRY PUDDING

Fruit Layer:
 1-2 cups defrosted whole or sliced unsweetened strawberries
          (The more berries used, the firmer the fruit mixture will be.)
 1   cup defrosted unsweetened raspberries
 1   cup defrosted blueberries
 2   tbsp. granulated sugar
 2   tbsp. all-purpose flour
 2-3 tbsp. butter or margarine

  Sprinkle the fruit over the bottom of a buttered and floured 8-inch square
baking  dish  or  casserole.  (It should be at least 4-5 inches deep for the
pudding to rise.)  Combine the juice of the fruit with the sugar and  flour;
pour  over  the fruit.  Cut 2-3 tbsp. of butter or margarine into paper-thin
slices and layer it over the fruit.

Batter Pudding:
 5   tbsp. butter or margarine
 1/2 to 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar (see note below)
 1   egg
 1   cup all-purpose flour
 1   tsp. baking powder
 1/2 tsp. salt
 1/3 cup milk

   In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  Blend in the egg.  Add sifted
dry  ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) alternately with milk to the
creamed mixture.  Beat well.  Drop the batter in spoonfuls over the fruit.

Bake  at  350F  for 45 to 55 minutes or until the top of the batter is golden
brown and crusty, and the pudding mixture below is firm  but  spongy.   Berry
mixture should be bubbly.

NOTE on sugar amount:
     The amount of sugar called for in the newspaper recipe was 1-3/4 cups.
  This led to a pudding that didn't bake completely -- the top was browned,
  but the pudding mixture below was almost liquid.  In the original  recipe
  (in  "More Food That Really Schmecks"),  1/2 cup of sugar was called for.
  This led to a pudding that was very much  like  a  white  cake  mix.   In
  experimenting with the recipe, my wife and I have found that 3/4  cup  of
  sugar  produces  a pudding which is heavier and sweeter than a white cake
  (and also has an almost candy-like top), and which fully bakes within the
  45-55 minutes. Feel free to experiment with the amount of sugar until you
  find an amount which suits your taste.

Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON
M5S 1A4

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay
--

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (04/26/85)

In article <459@utai.UUCP> gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) writes:

>This recipe is a batter pudding with berries as a bottom layer.  It may not
>be the most elegant of recipes, but it sure is good.  Enjoy.

I would like to point out that I am not now nor have I ever been a bottom
layer of a pudding.

	--Berry (NOT Barry)
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)