[comp.graphics] File formats

armfield@nprdc.navy.mil (Sylvia Armfield) (07/10/90)

I need to know how to identify the following file formats:

                      IGES
                      DXF
                      CGM
                      CITT FAX4
                      EPS
                      PCX
                      TIFF

Please email me directly if you have any information.

Thank you,

   Sylvia Armfield

armfield@nprdc.navy.mil (Sylvia Armfield) (07/11/90)

   I still haven't figured out how to identify the following file
formats:   IGES
           CGM
           CITT FAX4
           PCX

   If anyone knows what the first characters are in these file formats that
would determine a file to be of one of those types, I'd appreciate the
information.  Please email me directly.

   Thank you,
       Sylvia Armfield

graham@advsys.UUCP (Graham Underwood) (07/12/90)

In article <8437@arctic.nprdc.arpa> armfield@nprdc.navy.mil (Sylvia Armfield) writes:

>   I still haven't figured out how to identify the following file
>formats:
>           CITT FAX4

CCITT [sic] Group 4 is not a file format, it is an image compression
standard.  The encoded data is therefore dependent on the image you are
compressing and there is no way to determine that it is Group 4 data.
(Other than starting to decompress it and seeing if you get something
inteligible - but thats probably for comp.ai enthusiasts).

Group 4 data alone does not contain sufficient information for you to
decode it - e.g.  you have to know the pixel width of the image.  You
will probably find that the Group 4 data is wrapped up inside a file
format such as TIFF which enables the other information to be specified.

Graham.

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (07/13/90)

(Sylvia Armfield) writes:
>   I still haven't figured out how to identify the following file formats:
>           CGM

There is more than one type of CGM file.  I can help you out with the clear
text encoding and the binary encoding.  The other encoding is character.  It
is described in ISO 8632-2.  In any case all CGM files start with the same
thing, the BEGIN METAFILE statement.  The only difference is in how this
element is encoded.

In clear text encoding the element is simply the ASCII string "BEGMF".  In
binary encoding you have to read in the first two bytes as a word.  The
MSB is followed in the file by the LSB.  This word is bitmapped to include
the following information:
   15 - 12:  Element class
   11 - 5:   Element ID
   4 - 0:    Parameter list length

BEGIN METAFILE is a "Delimiter Element" making it class 0.  The element
ID within that class is 1.  The parameter list length is variable so it
must be ANDed out when comparing.  The bit pattern is then:

       0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 x x x x x

To check it simply AND the word with 0xffe0 and compare it with 0x0020.  In
reading the standard I get the impression that it is actually legal to add
padding characters (nulls) to the beginning of the file.  I rather doubt that
anyone would actually do this but it may be appropriate to read in words till
a non zero word is read and compare this word.  You can read in full words
since all elements are constrained to start on a word boundary.

If you want the full description of the CGM format it is available from
ANSI as the following ISO standards:

  ISO 8632-1     Functional specification
  ISO 8632-2     Character encoding
  ISO 8632-3     Binary encoding
  ISO 8632-4     Clear text encoding

HTH

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude

27003_1531@uwovax.uwo.ca (Chris Baldock) (10/20/90)

Hi.  I'm looking for some info on graphic file formats..

Particularly:

  WMF (Windows Metafile IBM PC)

  CGM (Colour Graphics Metafile)

  CDR (Coral Draw Files)

or where I can find utilties to do conversions...

Thanks in Advance,
Bill McLean

SA_BILL@VAXI.SSCL.UWO.CA
mclean@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca

alpowell@images.cs.und.ac.za (03/13/91)

There seems to be a lot of interest in the various file formats used
by various drawing programs. Why doesn't some helpful person summarise
the various formats (TIFF, GIF, PCX, etc.) information (eg. what is data
and what is header, what sort of compression is applied to the data (if
at all), etc) and repost it ?

I know that many people (myself included) would find it most useful.
P.S. Some of us don't have access to anonymous ftp, so that avenue is
not open to us, hence this posting.

Thanks, Al.

adrianho@barkley.watt.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar12.191456.9336@images.cs.und.ac.za> alpowell@images.cs.und.ac.za writes:

>There seems to be a lot of interest in the various file formats used
>by various drawing programs. Why doesn't some helpful person summarise
>the various formats (TIFF, GIF, PCX, etc.) information (eg. what is data
>and what is header, what sort of compression is applied to the data (if
>at all), etc) and repost it ?

Perhaps because most people *don't* want summaries -- some formats
(eg. GIF) use coding algorithms that are usually difficult to
summarize in a useful manner.  Others are so complex that you'd
usually end up extracting the full text for these.  Multiply by the
number of different file formats supported by drawing programs, and I
think you'll end up with one *long* posting.

That's only the beginning -- there will *definitely* be repeated
requests for reposts (sounds like ~30% of all USENET sites expire
articles after 24 hrs, and >30% of net.news is read >2 days after
posting 8-).  I think you can see what I'm getting at: an incredible
amount of bandwidth wasted for a single document.

Oh, and how about those requests to "please add format FuBaR to the
list"?  I don't envy the person who takes this task up.  (And after
saying all that, I must be nuts for continuing to say that I'm willing
to give it a shot.  Stay tuned.  8-)

Try the format archives at titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30) (directory
public/graphics.formats -- info courtesy of Jef Poskanzer's
comp.graphics FAQ, posted every week).  You'd probably get more useful
info from the full specs.

>P.S. Some of us don't have access to anonymous ftp, so that avenue is
>not open to us, hence this posting.

But most sites certainly have access to e-mail facilities, and there
are such things as mail-FTP servers.  To quote again from the FAQ (and
please, folx, let's show appreciation for Jef's efforts by *reading*
it -- 24-hr news expiry notwithstanding):

% 13) How to FTP by email.

% There are a number of sites that archive the Usenet sources newsgroups
% and make them available via an email query system.  You send a message
% to an automated server saying something like "send comp.sources.unix/fbm",
% and a few hours or days later you get the file in the mail.

% There are also a couple of sites that will perform general FTP retrievals
% for you in response to a similar mail query.  For information on using
% one of them, send a message like this:

%     To: info-server@cs.net

%     request: info
%     topic: help-ftp
%     request: end

% (NOTE: this server is currently "down for repairs".  No estimate on when
% or if it will return.)

% And for info on another one, send this:

%     To: bitftp@pucc.bitnet

%     help

% Please be considerate, and don't over-use these services.  If people
% start using them to retrieve hundreds of megabytes of GIF files, they
% will probably disappear.

Take note of that last paragraph and don't abuse these facilities --
they cost the providers lots of MONEY.

Good Luck!

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu
Domain: sesame-street (telly,bigbird,snuffy,oscar,kermit,bert,grover,barkley)
Favorite expression: "There's no business like monkey business."