[net.cooks] Those twits at McDonalds have done it to me for the last time!

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (04/10/85)

Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"  Now obviously if I
had wanted it with cheese I would have ordered it that way.  I have a
feeling that if I ordered a "Quarter Pounder" with cheese they would
ask me "without cheese?" Well okay, maybe they're just trying to be
helpful.

But when they finally serve up the greasy monstrosity, why is it that
%75 of the time (and I do not exagerate) they give me a "Quarter
Pounder" WITH THE F____ING CHEESE?!  Why its even in the blatent yellow
coloured box!  This occurs consistantly too...  across different
McDonald's with different "crew members" working different shifts in
different states!

I'm begining to suspect some sort of grand conspiracy here.  They
must distribute pictures of "certain" people they think it would
be fun to annoy in this way.  But I've got them outsmarted this
time!  This time I ask them for a "Quarter Pound Cheesburger" WITH
cheese!
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"And he made the stars, too, and the world is one of the stars"

rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Biding my time) (04/12/85)

> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> Pounder" ...

Why is it that every time you're in a hurry at the drive-up window
the crew-twits ring up the sale, take your money, and say, "That
will be a few minutes.  Please pull to the side and we'll bring it
out." ?  Why not say so in the first place, so you can decide if it's
worth the wait?  Because the slimoids in Oak Brook know that a
percentage of customers will leave & they'll lose some bucks.

ihnp4!ihdev!rastaman
"Oh God!  We're all MUTANTS!"

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (04/13/85)

> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"

The people (they used to be high school kids, but with todays job
market the age is going up) who work the counter at McDonalds are
trained to ask that - that is, to try to sell the extra item.
They won't ask if you want it without cheese if you specify cheese,
both because you're being explicit and because they have no reason to.
They're also trained to ask if there's anything else you want:  If
you didn't order anything to drink they'll ask if you want something;
if you did order a drink, they'll ask about a pie.

I share your annoyance at this kind of selling.  I usually end my order
with the phrase "and that's all" to keep them from asking.

> But when they finally serve up the greasy monstrosity, why is it that
> %75 of the time (and I do not exagerate) they give me a "Quarter
> Pounder" WITH THE F____ING CHEESE?!

Did they charge you for the cheese?  If not, then I have no idea why
they'd give it to you, since it does cost them (even if it's only a
fraction of a penny :-)).  If they consistently serve what you
don't order, consistently bug the manager.  Talking to the peons
does essentially no good.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

weiss@gondor.UUCP (04/15/85)

> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"

I hate it when they ask (after I give my order) "Would you like fries with
that?"  I don't like Mickey-D's fries.  I even say at the end of my order,
"...and that'll be all."  They still ask!  Argh!  Many times if I am in a
pissed off (or drunken) mood I will reply (loudly), "If I wanted some goddam
fries I woulda ordered some goddam fries!"  They usually slink off to get
my order after that.
   Same thing goes for grocery and convenience stores. (Mostly the latter.)
When I get up to the counter with my stuff they *always* ask, "Will that be
all?"  Argh!  In a similar mood, I will tell these people, "Well, I though I \
would wait until you rung up my purchase, I'd paid, gotten my change, and
driven home, then I would get some more stuff!!"   Jeez...

(Ahem)  Sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

--
I don't practice what I preach because
I am not the type of person I'm preaching to.

Michael S. Weiss                               BITNET:  weiss@psuvaxg.bitnet

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, Pa.) (04/17/85)

> > Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> > Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"
>
> I hate it when they ask (after I give my order) "Would you like fries with
> that?"  I don't like Mickey-D's fries.  I even say at the end of my order,
> "...and that'll be all."  They still ask!  Argh!  Many times if I am in a
> pissed off (or drunken) mood I will reply (loudly), "If I wanted some goddam
> fries I woulda ordered some goddam fries!"  They usually slink off to get
> my order after that.

How about when McDonalds is selling Muppet, Star Wars, ET, Smurf, etc. etc.
glasses.  Everytime you order a coke they want to know if you want it in one
of their special glasses.  When they do this (I usually use the Drive-thru) I
ask them if the glasses are free.  Then when they tell me they're 99 cents I
bargain with them and tell them 75 cents is my final offer.  It keeps the
Mc-employees on their toes plus the people in my car and I have a few laughs
to boot.

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

Two Mc-hamburgers, two Mc-fries, two Mc-shakes.  Thank you come back Mc-soon.

lrd@drusd.UUCP (L. R. DuBroff) (04/17/85)

> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"

and why, when I order 1/2 pound of whatever at the supermarket deli
counter, do they ALWAYS keep slicing until they have exceeded 1/2 pound
and then ask "A little over all right?"

I smile nicely, and in a gentle voice reply "No."

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joseph D. Loda) (04/18/85)

In article <1671@gondor.UUCP> weiss@gondor.UUCP writes:
>> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
>> Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"
>
>   Same thing goes for grocery and convenience stores. (Mostly the latter.)
>When I get up to the counter with my stuff they *always* ask, "Will that be
>all?"  Argh!  In a similar mood, I will tell these people, "Well, I though I \
>would wait until you rung up my purchase, I'd paid, gotten my change, and
>driven home, then I would get some more stuff!!"   Jeez...
>
>(Ahem)  Sorry, lost my mind for a minute.
>
>Michael S. Weiss                               BITNET:  weiss@psuvaxg.bitnet

Well, to provide a different point of view (please do not construe this to
mean that I like Mc D's, their food or tactics), but ...

Having worked at camera/electronics sales at a discount department store for
five years (and considering myself a pretty good salesman; ie, I was the
kind of salesman *I* liked to buy from - helpful, not pushy), I can
relate to asking a customer whether there will be anything else.  If you
are buying a camera or radio as a gift, or even for yourself for immediate
use, most people don't realize that the thing comes without batteries, film
etc.  Give a child a gift of a portable radio with no batteries.  What a
downer!  Note that I, as well as these Mcdonalds kids are not working on
commission.  I never hesitated to tell a customer (in more eloquent
language) that I really didn't care if they bought it or not.  My
meager salary was the same.

Also, as I was in high school at the time, I did what I was told.  When
part time jobs are hard to come by, you don't want to tick off your
manager.

In addition to this, it is a real pisser to have the customer suddenly
awaken and realize they forgot to ask for something after you just rung
the whole thing up.

I now take one giant leap from my soapbox.
--
Joe Loda
Analysts International (Chicago Branch)

figmo@tymix.UUCP (Lynn Gold) (04/18/85)

> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"

This practice is called "suggestive selling."  Enough people have
already submitted letters to this list describing how McDonald's
does it, so I won't bother.

I worked at a fabric store several years ago where they had us use
a similar technique.  About half the time, people would come in knowing
what they wanted and just get that.  The other half of the time the
buyer would be scatterbrained and easily taken by this technique.  I
remember one time where a woman came in to buy a spool of thread and
walked out with over $10.00 of merchandise which I doubt she's ever
used to this day -- thanks to this technique, which is considered "good
sales practice."

--Lynn Gold
...tymix!figmo

pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) (04/18/85)

> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"

The summer they were selling Camp Snoopy glasses I got into the habit of
giving my order like this:

	Quarter pounder w/cheese
	Large Fries
	Diet Coke
	and no Camp Snoopy Glass!

Its amazing that after a week they stopped asking me.
--
-----------------------------------
Norm Pritchett

plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) (04/18/85)

In article <1671@gondor.UUCP> weiss@gondor.UUCP writes:
>> Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
>> Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"
>
>I hate it when they ask (after I give my order) "Would you like fries with
>that?"  I don't like Mickey-D's fries.  I even say at the end of my order,
>"...and that'll be all."  They still ask!  Argh!  Many times if I am in a
>pissed off (or drunken) mood I will reply (loudly), "If I wanted some goddam
>fries I woulda ordered some goddam fries!"  They usually slink off to get
>my order after that.

   At one point in my life (you know-- in high school, working a menial
job for extremely low pay, etc.) I worked in "service" jobs, where I
had to interact with members of the general public.  Such interaction
was subject to the rules and regulations laid down by my employers, and if
one didn't interact properly (e.g. "Would you like some fries with that?"),
one could find that one no longer had a job.  The most disturbing thing
about working those jobs was not the low pay, long hours, strict rules, and
such, but the morons that I had to interact with.  When somebody gives a
mere employee a hard time for doing his/her job, it may make the hassler
feel better, but it does nothing else positive, least of all getting the
offensive policies changed.  Although I admit to being guilty of impatience
and annoyance in such situations, I try to think back to the times when
jerks hassled me for doing my job, and I find it helps me act more human
towards them (the employees in question, not the jerks).
   I apologize if I've offended anybody who enjoys giving their fellow
humans a hard time, but, like I said, I've been there, and didn't enjoy
it.

gts@dmcnh.UUCP (Guy The Schafer) (04/18/85)

> > Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> > Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"
>
> I hate it when they ask (after I give my order) "Would you like fries with
> Michael S. Weiss                               BITNET:  weiss@psuvaxg.bitnet

The most effective action to take upon being queried about extras is to
completely ignore the question and stare silently at the clerk.  After about
five seconds, they usually suffer complete nervous colapse and get your order
trembling and sweating.  It's great fun!

+-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+
| USENET: decvax!ittvax!sii!dmcnh!gts | | DISCLAIMER:    The content of this |
| USMail: 14-F Hampshire Drive        | | message is the sole responsibility |
|         Nashua, NH  03063           | | of Schafer and doesn't necessarily |
| NEBell: (603) 880-2069              | | reflect the policies of Datamedia. |
+-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+
"If I had been a Bokonist then, that statement would have made me howl." -KVJr

shp@crystal.UUCP (04/18/85)

> >I hate it when they ask (after I give my order) "Would you like fries with
> >that?"  I don't like Mickey-D's fries.  I even say at the end of my order,
> >"...and that'll be all."  They still ask!  Argh!  Many times if I am in a
> >pissed off (or drunken) mood I will reply (loudly), "If I wanted some goddam
> >fries I woulda ordered some goddam fries!"  They usually slink off to get
> >my order after that.

	No, no.  Get revenge.  Do it right.  Order for your {baseball team|
    football team|dance group|et cetera}.  Memorize it.  Rehearse it.  Go into
    the Golden Arches Supper Club.  You say:
	"Hi, I'd like a (insert foul substance here)."
    The poor counter person will, of course, enquire:
	"Would you like any fries with that?" or "Would you like something to
	    drink with that?"
    You go into action.  You scratch your head, mutter a bit, and say something
    like:
	"Ummm....yeah.  A large fries.  No, no, make it two.  And a couple of
	large shakes.  And....and....four Quarter Pounders.  And three Chicken
	McNuggets with barbecue sauce....and......and....seven BigMucks....and
	three more large fries.....and...."
    ....and you get the idea.  Yes, this is nasty, and somewhat humiliating
    for the unfortunate employee you pick on.  It IS good for a laugh, though,
    and it DOES get your point across.  You'll have to decide for yourself
    if revenge is sweet (although at MD's, the only really sweet thing is the
    salt :-).
	To all those forced by circumstances to work at such places:  My
    apologies.  Not for the impractical joke, but for being forced by
    circumstances to work at such places.  Try to have a sense of humor
    about it, anyway.

	-shp

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (04/19/85)

What does McDonalds have to do with cooking, anyway?????

Let's keep this discussion confined to the appropriate newsgroup, please. :-)

(net.junk?)

					Jeff Winslow

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (04/22/85)

> Although I admit to being guilty of impatience
> and annoyance in such situations, I try to think back to the times when
> jerks hassled me for doing my job, and I find it helps me act more human
> towards them (the employees in question, not the jerks).
>    I apologize if I've offended anybody who enjoys giving their fellow
> humans a hard time, but, like I said, I've been there, and didn't enjoy
> it.

Hear, hear! Well said, Joel!

Ariel (If you don't like it, don't eat there) Shattan
..!tektronix!orca!ariels

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/23/85)

Of course the drive through window on the way to work recognizes my car
now.  Always getting the same thing puts you in a terrible rut, but at
least you get good service.

-Ron

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (04/23/85)

>      . . .   Yes, this is nasty, and somewhat humiliating
>     for the unfortunate employee you pick on.  It IS good for a laugh, though,

Why is there such a streak of cruelty in people that they want to pick on
someone just for doing their job (and who is getting paid bare minimum at
that)?  I have learned from my time doing menial jobs (such as working at
McDonald's) what it is like to have to deal with real jerks who seem to
feel that I should be punished for trying to my best, and what it is like
to come across someone who makes you feel that what you are doing is
worthwhile.  The latter type of person seems to realize that working for
a place such as McDonald's is not fun & games -- that employees have to
work their butts off for a meager nickel raise at the end of the year;
and that even a lowly menial can have a hard day and ***does*** has feelings
too.  They also seem to realize that it doesn't take a lot on their part
to establish a good rapport between them and the employee -- a smile, some
kind words, a little bit of politeness.  I remember that such people were
a pleasure to come across and a pleasure to serve.  And, oddly enough, I
was more careful in serving them than I was in serving someone who seemed
to feel that I was their personal slave or whipping boy.  (Hint, hint, to
those of you out in net-land that always seem to have trouble with getting
your orders right.)  Another thing I found was that, after helping someone
who was nice to me, I was far more inclined to be nice to the customers
who came after that person -- after serving a grouch or a jerk, it was
harder to feel good about serving the next person.

So, please do ***not*** fill up the networks with methods of "getting back"
at people just doing their jobs.  (If that's your attitude, then you deserve
rotten treatment.)  Maybe, just maybe, if you tried thinking of the person
serving you instead of just yourself, it would make them feel better, it
would make you feel better, and you might just get better service.

braman@dataio.UUCP (Rick Braman) (04/23/85)

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  CAN'T YOU JUST LET A SLEEPING DOG LIE?

I VOTE FOR GETTING BACK TO DISCUSSIONS RELATED TO **COOKING** NOT
FAST FOOD JOINTS!!!  OTHERWISE MAYBE A NEW NEWSGROUP SHOULD BE CREATED
CALLED net.fastfood.complain!

flame off.

                                       |       " Go catch a thermal! "

                             _________oOo_________
  x                                  O   O                                   x
   \xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxO   Oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
                                     O   O
                                      OoO

    uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!braman                            -- Usenet
    Rick Braman    Data I/O Corp     Redmond WA             206-885-5851

trisha@oddjob.UUCP (Trisha OTuama) (04/25/85)

I'm willing to bet a lot of money that no matter what silly, childish
stunts you try to bother fast food employees with, you will never come
up with anything that hasn't been tried before, probably years before.

Trisha (Back By Popular Demand) O Tuama

cberry@muddcs.UUCP (Craig Berry) (04/26/85)

In article <448@utai.UUCP> gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) writes:
>>      . . .   Yes, this is nasty, and somewhat humiliating
>>     for the unfortunate employee you pick on.  It IS good for a laugh, though,
>
>Why is there such a streak of cruelty in people that they want to pick on
>someone just for doing their job (and who is getting paid bare minimum at
>that)?  I have learned from my time doing menial jobs (such as working at
>McDonald's) what it is like to have to deal with real jerks who seem to
>feel that I should be punished for trying to my best, and what it is like
>to come across someone who makes you feel that what you are doing is
>worthwhile.  The latter type of person seems to realize that working for
>a place such as McDonald's is not fun & games -- that employees have to
>work their butts off for a meager nickel raise at the end of the year;
>and that even a lowly menial can have a hard day and ***does*** has feelings
>too.  They also seem to realize that it doesn't take a lot on their part
>to establish a good rapport between them and the employee -- a smile, some
>kind words, a little bit of politeness.  I remember that such people were
>a pleasure to come across and a pleasure to serve.  And, oddly enough, I
>was more careful in serving them than I was in serving someone who seemed
>to feel that I was their personal slave or whipping boy.  (Hint, hint, to
>those of you out in net-land that always seem to have trouble with getting
>your orders right.)

I agree completely.  While I was in high school I put in a two year stint
at McD's, and it was most definitely not fun and games.  I found that the
only way for me to cope with the job was to more or less turn off my brain
while working.  90% of the tasks at McDonalds require no conscious thought
at all once you have learned the routine, so I would drift off mentally while
continuing to work physically.  Many employees I knew at McD's and similar
places did the same thing.  This is why if you ask for a QP without cheese,
the counter person is fairly likely to ask "is that with cheese?"  It has
become part of the automatic script.

Geoff is also correct when he says that a little civility with the counter
people can go a long way.  It was always such a pleasure to deal with a
customer who treated me like a human being rather than a McRobot that I
would immediately try to find ways to "reward" the customer--friendlier
service, personal interest, larger orders of fries, etc.  I gave everyone
adequate service, but it was the polite customers for whom I did my all-out
best.

It really annoys me that so many net.flamers seem to feel that the only
way to deal with other people is through rudeness and intimidation.  While
these *do* have their place in extraordinary circumstances, it has been
my experience that civility and consideration for others have greater
benefits for all concerned.

                                  Craig Berry
                                  Harvey Mudd College

{allegra!scgvaxd | ucla-cs}!muddcs!cberry
"!!!MOOB"  "Oh, no!  Sounds like an implosion!"

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (04/27/85)

> > > Why is it, everytime I walk into a McDonalds and order a "Quarter
> > > Pounder" they consistantly ask me "with cheese?"
> >
> > I hate it when they ask (after I give my order) "Would you like fries with
> > Michael S. Weiss                               BITNET:  weiss@psuvaxg.bitnet
>
> The most effective action to take upon being queried about extras is to
> completely ignore the question and stare silently at the clerk.  After about
> five seconds, they usually suffer complete nervous colapse and get your order
> trembling and sweating.  It's great fun!
>
> +-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+
> | USENET: decvax!ittvax!sii!dmcnh!gts | | DISCLAIMER:    The content of this |
> | USMail: 14-F Hampshire Drive        | | message is the sole responsibility |
> |         Nashua, NH  03063           | | of Schafer and doesn't necessarily |
> | NEBell: (603) 880-2069              | | reflect the policies of Datamedia. |
> +-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+
> "If I had been a Bokonist then, that statement would have made me howl." -KVJr

What I dont quite understand is whenever (seldom) wander into those dens
and the place is empty, i.e. I'm alone in there, the counter person
looks right at me and says, with a straight face, "CAN I HELP YOU"?
No you dummy I'll jump the counter and grab what everin the hell I want.

nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP (04/27/85)

Get this one gang:

Here we have a MickeyDees staffed by high schoolers. Whenever I go to
the arches (which is rare) I order a quarter pounder, fries, and a
medium coke. A simple order.

My fried orders the same. We frequently go there together.

Whenever he is alone and plaes the above order (at the drive-thru), he
gets it immediately.

Whenever I am with him, they tell us to pull over and wait.

Go figure hese guys, will ya!!!

(And I am not exaggerating when I sy this happens 100% of the
tim!!!)

tracy mcinvale
nmhr@nmtvax
--
Tracy A. McInvale
New Mexico Humanities Review

...!cmc12!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!nmhr
...!ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!nmhr

waynez@houxh.UUCP (W.ZAKARAS) (04/29/85)

>                                              -- that employees have to
>work their butts off for a meager nickel raise at the end of the year;

HMMMMM!   Maybe all AT&T should goto work there, the raises seem better :)

WayneZ...

lautzy@nmtvax.UUCP (05/01/85)

In article <> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:

>What I dont quite understand is whenever (seldom) wander into those dens
>and the place is empty, i.e. I'm alone in there, the counter person
>looks right at me and says, with a straight face, "CAN I HELP YOU"?
>No you dummy I'll jump the counter and grab what everin the hell I want.

Oh, come ON!!!!  Aren't you being kind of LITTLE??!!  If you can't take
someone being KIND to you, maybe they should say to you:

      "Get your ass over here, bud and tell me what the hell you want!!!"

And if you don't like that, then go eat dirt...  :=(

--
                                -Lautzy (Romulan)
                              ...unmvax!nmtvax!lautzy