[comp.graphics] Reality??

clh@tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (03/22/91)

In article <3124@charon.cwi.nl> edwin@cwi.nl (Edwin Blake) writes:
>In article <1991Mar6.220940.8400@nas.nasa.gov> eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:

[stuff about perspective deleted...]

>This difference was one of the reasons Plato called artists liars: the
>real nature of objects does not change with your point of view, reality
>persists, appearances change.  Maps are true, pictures are lies.
>Computer graphics is more to do with the `lying' than the objective
>truth.

Whoa, there - Schrodinger's cat might not agree with you on this one, let
alone the existentialists among us!  "Reality persists" - huh, imagine
that!  Anyway, in the tried-and-true fasion of changing the subject (I HAVE
changed the subject line, BTW), I must cast down the gauntlet, and ask
you to defend your statement that "maps are true" (never mind the bogus
notions about reality).  If maps are so true, then how do you explain
different projections used to derive them?  A UTM projection of an area
will not "lie down" over an Albers; which is right?

The answer, of course, is "neither".  Similarly, that nice thick yellow
line on my 1:200000 Michelin map labeled "D970" seldom agrees exactly
with the real position of good old D970 (whatever THAT may be), and
even more prosaically, the width is certainly not to scale.

There's a temporal aspect to this; even if your map were an exact
representation of somewhere, somewhen, sooner or later things will change,
but the map won't.

>>And look what we get from them: a little model of the world in orthogonal,
>>synopic view (these big words from my remote sensing classes).  You can
>>adding the distances, figure out how long the drive tapes

Sometimes, Eugene; don't try it in Alaska with a Mercator map!

> There are maps of Amsterdam which try to superimpose pictures of the
>buildings on a map of the city, this results in strange contortions to
>preserve the truth of the map and the conviction of the appearances.
>Perspective is largely thrown away and replaced by parallel projection.
>In the space of projected pictures it is very difficult to measure
>distance (no metric).

Yes, but measuring distance is not necessarily the only relevant parameter
of reality that a map can represent; it's just one of the more common ones.

I hope this digression proves of some value.

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
clh@tfic.bc.ca                          V5Z 1E5

C'est ma facon de parler.

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (03/26/91)

>In article <1991Mar6.220940.8400@nas.nasa.gov> eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
>
>This difference was one of the reasons Plato called artists liars: the
>real nature of objects does not change with your point of view, reality
>persists, appearances change.

  From this argument it would follow that, in the practice of computer
graphics, modelling is truth; rendering is lying.

  Draw your own conclusions.

							Ken
--
"... this easy, indifferent sword must be chance--aye, chance, free will,
and necessity--no wise incompatible--all interweavingly working together."

jeffry@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jeffry Nimeroff) (03/27/91)

In article <29686@cs.yale.edu>, musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) writes:
|> >In article <1991Mar6.220940.8400@nas.nasa.gov> eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
|> >
|> >This difference was one of the reasons Plato called artists liars: the
|> >real nature of objects does not change with your point of view, reality
|> >persists, appearances change.
|>
|>   From this argument it would follow that, in the practice of computer
|> graphics, modelling is truth; rendering is lying.
|>
|>   Draw your own conclusions.
|>
|> 							Ken
|> --
|> "... this easy, indifferent sword must be chance--aye, chance, free will,
|> and necessity--no wise incompatible--all interweavingly working together."
|> 						-Herman Melville
|> F. Kenton ("Ken") Musgrave	musgrave@yale.edu	(203) 432-4016

	So radiosity is better than ray-tracing..... :-)

-Jeff Nimeroff
Boston University
Computer Science Department

soon to be...