[comp.graphics] SGI GL -- program dies after window closes?

pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) (03/27/91)

prompt back as soon as I call winopen, even though the program is
still running. Can someone explain this behaviour? I would expect to
NOT get the csh prompt back until I have given my program the command
to exit.

The program is supposed to work as follows: In a loop, prompt for
input, open a window, draw some graphics, close the window, and loop
back for more input.

It actually works as follows: It prompts for input, and opens the
window, but then I immediately get the csh prompt back, while the
graphics is being drawn. It's as if the program has been put in the
background, but the process does not show up as a shell background
process, it only shows up with ps. So the graphics display, then the
window sloses as expected, and the program displays the prompt for
more input. However, the program is no longer running. I try to type
in the input, but I'm talking to the c shell, not my program. A quick
ps command reveals it is no longer running!

Any help is appreciated.
--

   -paul	pmartz@dsd.es.com
		Evans & Sutherland

mas@everest.corp.sgi.com (Michael A. Schulman) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.220929.12353@dsd.es.com>, pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) writes:
|> From: pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz)
|> Newsgroups: comp.graphics
|> Subject: SGI GL -- program dies after window closes?
|> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 14:09:29 PDT

|> prompt back as soon as I call winopen, even though the program is
|> still running. Can someone explain this behaviour? I would expect to
|> NOT get the csh prompt back until I have given my program the command
|> to exit.
|>
|> The program is supposed to work as follows: In a loop, prompt for
|> input, open a window, draw some graphics, close the window, and loop
|> back for more input.
|>
|> It actually works as follows: It prompts for input, and opens the
|> window, but then I immediately get the csh prompt back, while the
|> graphics is being drawn. It's as if the program has been put in the
|> background, but the process does not show up as a shell background
|> process, it only shows up with ps. So the graphics display, then the
|> window sloses as expected, and the program displays the prompt for
|> more input. However, the program is no longer running. I try to type
|> in the input, but I'm talking to the c shell, not my program. A quick
|> ps command reveals it is no longer running!
|>
|> Any help is appreciated.
|> --
|>
|>    -paul	pmartz@dsd.es.com
|> 		Evans & Sutherland

use the foreground() GL call to keep the program from running in the
background.

--

Michael Schulman

Silicon Graphics Computer Systems