[comp.graphics] Super VGA demo

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar23.205437.26449@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@iboga (Mike Berger) writes:
>>tp1l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas W. Pope) writes:
>>>   I am looking for some demonstration programs using the 640x480 256
>>>color super VGA mode...  I own a Video-7 1024i with 512k ram...  I am
>>>especially looking for rendered drawings in gif or other format...
>>>Also, are there any animation programs in this resolution???
>*----
>There's a nice rotating Jolt can animation using the graspart program
>that's available on BBS's.

The Jolt can and the rest of the GL animation files I've seen so far
are of low resolution. Even though it needs VGA (256 colors), the
pictures themselves are low res... compared to most of the GIF files
I've ftped. Are these GL files 640x480? I think the original poster
was asking for something to test his card at its highest quality.
Hence, might high res GIF pictures be a better choice than GL files?

On a different note, are there high res GL files (say 800x600 256
colors)? This resolution is higher than that of the TV (even if you
get close, you can't readily see the pixels like you do on a TV)
and GIF pictures of this resolution is of photographic quality.
A GL animation at this resolution would really be lifelike.
The highest resolution GL file I have is called "goblet4.gl".
This file is quite impressive but its staircasing is still quite
visible. Are there better once around?

Thomas.