[comp.graphics] Renderman and trimmed surfaces

pierre@Autodesk.COM (Pierre Malraison) (03/30/91)

Renderman sipports a wide variety of surface types, but none of them are allowed to
be trimmed.

1) Has anyone come up with a reasonable way to display trimmed surfaces
(e.g. a NURB with a hole in the midddle) in Renderman?

2) If not, is it planned for any future revision of Renderman.
More generally,besides CSG what about B-reps?

--
Pierre Malraison
U.S. Snail: Autodesk ,Inc. 2320 Marinship Way,Sausalito CA 94965

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) (04/01/91)

pierre@Autodesk.COM (Pierre Malraison) writes:

>Renderman sipports a wide variety of surface types, but none of them are allowed to
>be trimmed.

First, are we discussing here the STANDARD Renderman, or a particular implem-
mentation, SUch as MacRenderman or Autodesk Photorealistic Renderman Renderer?

The STANDARD supports trim curves very well. I read from page 249 in my
issue of the "Renderman Companion":

Trim Curves

Using an optional capability defined under the RenderMan Interface, and
application can cut out arbitrary regions of a non uniform rational
B-spline (NURB) surface.

It then goes on to explain Trim-curves and the RiTrimCurve() interface call.

So ewhere's the problem?

>1) Has anyone come up with a reasonable way to display trimmed surfaces
>(e.g. a NURB with a hole in the midddle) in Renderman?

>2) If not, is it planned for any future revision of Renderman.
>More generally,besides CSG what about B-reps?

>--
>Pierre Malraison
>U.S. Snail: Autodesk ,Inc. 2320 Marinship Way,Sausalito CA 94965
>e-mail:         pierre@acad.uu.net
>Opinions expressed above purely personal.
--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *          (This rent for space)
* My signature is smaller than  * Be warned! The letter 'Z' is Copyright 1991