[comp.graphics] WANTED: maps

ksr1492@cec1.wustl.edu (Kevin Scott Ruland) (03/19/91)

I am looking for maps of various parts of the world (any region is
fine).  I would like them to be stored as a point-vector list.
If anyone knows of an archive site with such files, or has some
please mail me asap.

Thank you.

Kevin Ruland
kevin@rodin.wustl.edu

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar18.201747.23217@cec1.wustl.edu>, ksr1492@cec1.wustl.edu
(Kevin Scott Ruland) says:

>I am looking for maps of various parts of the world (any region is
>fine).  I would like them to be stored as a point-vector list.
>If anyone knows of an archive site with such files, or has some
>please mail me asap.

Try the CIA World Map data, available on (really) Larry's Hot Tub--402-
571-4316.

Actually, I am also interested in this, espceciall the Defense Mapping Agency
format.

       lee

lee@rocksanne.uucp (Lee Moore) (03/21/91)

Here is an old message.  Maybe this should be a FAQ.

Lee

--------
From: hjp@usenet.umr.edu (Hardy J. Pottinger)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics
Subject: Re: State Maps
Date: 5 Nov 90 18:02:47 GMT
Sender: news@umriscc.isc.umr.edu

In article <35443@cup.portal.com> Mark_Stephen_Zaller@cup.portal.com writes:
>The USGS sells a very nice Optical CD ROM with all 50 states that includes
>I bought my disk for $28 from the USGS office in Menlo Park.
>You can also get the disk by calling the Reston, Virginia office: 800-USA-MAPS.
>The disk is called: 1:2,000,000 scale  Digitial Line Graph (DLG) Data.
The Data User Services Division of the Bureau of the Census also has
data on CD-ROM (TSO standard format) that is derived from USGS
1:100,000 map data and may be a bit more 'object oriented' than USGS
files.  Call (301) 763-4100 for more info or they have a BBS at
(301) 763-1568.  I have some old ancient census data that's fairly
small (only a few meg) but is not in any standard coordinate system
that I'm aware of and isn't much good for anything but drawing state
outlines.
--Hardy Pottinger, hjp@ee.umr.edu
--

Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center -- +1 716 422 2496
UUCP:		{allegra, cornell, decvax, rutgers}!rochester!rocksanne!lee

clh@tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (03/22/91)

In article <91079.190330UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

>In article <1991Mar18.201747.23217@cec1.wustl.edu>, ksr1492@cec1.wustl.edu
>(Kevin Scott Ruland) says:
>
>>I am looking for maps of various parts of the world (any region is
>>fine).  I would like them to be stored as a point-vector list.
>>If anyone knows of an archive site with such files, or has some
>>please mail me asap.
>
>Try the CIA World Map data, available on (really) Larry's Hot Tub--402-
>571-4316.
>
>Actually, I am also interested in this, espceciall the Defense Mapping Agency
>format.
>
>       lee

Try your local USGS office; you can get 7.5" x 7.5" digital maps from them
in an ASCII format called DLG-3 that's pretty easy to sort out.  It even
contains some spatial relationship information (called topology in the
industry), and attributes.

Also, ESRI in Redlands is working on the Digital Map of the World Project
(don't know the originating agency) but it is supposed to be released
fairly soon on CD-ROM, I believe.

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
clh@tfic.bc.ca                          V5Z 1E5

C'est ma facon de parler.

rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar22.155204.26170@tfic.bc.ca> clh@tacitus.UUCP (Chris Hermansen) writes:

>Try your local USGS office; you can get 7.5" x 7.5" digital maps from them
>in an ASCII format called DLG-3 that's pretty easy to sort out.  It even
>contains some spatial relationship information (called topology in the
>industry), and attributes.

The coverage of these is spotty at best.  You can get an Index map
showing the availability of the 1:24,000 scale from your local USGS
office.

There is another USGS DLG-3 database, the 1:100,000 scale DLG files which
are complete with respect to nationwide coverage.  File sets include
hydrography, roads, railroads, and and miscellaneous transportation
(airports, pipelines, transmission lines).

These files are still
detailed enough for a lot of projects.  Caveat:  Both databases come
from the USGS on 9 track tape only (6250 or 1600 bpi).  We got a roomful
of tapes that we had to download.

>Also, ESRI in Redlands is working on the Digital Map of the World Project
>(don't know the originating agency) but it is supposed to be released
>fairly soon on CD-ROM, I believe.

Not sure who is behind the effort either, but I hear the project is going
somewhat slower than expected.

>Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
>Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
>FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
>clh@tfic.bc.ca                          V5Z 1E5

Chris -
What's available digitally for Canada or other countries, and how do you
get it?

--
Robert C. White, Jr.       |  Right lane of .signature closed, merge left     |
The WhiteStar Corporation  |--------------------------------------------------|

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (03/31/91)

<1991Mar22.155204.26170@tfic.bc.ca> <11225@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM>
Comment-To: rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM

|--------------------------------------------------|
> rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com    |  Never buy software versions <= 2.0 or >=
6.0    |

I use a Geological Information System 3-D display programme on my
Commodore Amiga. It is called VistaPro. They used data from the USGS and
convert it to their own format. They also have used data from MARS yes
the planet to make a landscape. I found a source of similar mapping data
from my local government Survey Department and now have landscapes and
animations of flybys through my own locality. So approach your local
GeologicaL SURVEY Department. if they do'nt have any for the locality
you wany they can usually derive it from 3-D photographs. Cost will
depend on local policy. I have to pay :-( although they gave me the
first 500k for free to see if it would work.
The scapes that come with VISTAPRO are at 30 metre grid i.e data is
available every 30 meters. Virtual Reality Laboratories, the publishers
of VISTAPRO mention in their newsletter that there are other DEM
(Digital Elevation Model) data resellers apart from USGS but they are
more expensive. One is the Spot Image Corporation who charge $US10,000
for the amount of coverage I can buy and use for $56. Spot data however
is provided at 10 meter points. and much of the world can be supplied.
Cheers
Keith

clh@tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (04/02/91)

In article <11225@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM> rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) writes:
>In article <1991Mar22.155204.26170@tfic.bc.ca> clh@tacitus.UUCP (Chris Hermansen) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>Chris -
>What's available digitally for Canada or other countries, and how do you
>get it?

Decided to post, in case others were interested as well (or saw something
in need of correction!).

Here (Canada), things are split federally/provincially.  The Feds have two
programs, one at 1:50,000 and one at 1:250,000.  These are handled by
Energy, Mines, and Resources Canada; there may be others (Statistics Canada?)
that I don't know about.  Coverage is spotty in these (especially 1:50,000),
although I *heard* that the major problem in the 1:250,000 series is lack
of a final QC step.  Both series contain planimetric and topographic poop
(OK, the topo's just contours).  The printed maps look very nice, but I have
heard the digital maps have some/many errors.  Also, I don't know about
toponymy in the digital maps (ie, it may not be there).  Finally, I think
both series are NAD27.

Provinces typically have their own base mapping program at larger scales.
For example, BC has two (!) 1:20,000 programs: one by the Ministry of Crown
Lands (planimetry, topography, NAD83 - nice stuff, too), one by the Ministry of
Forests (old base maps + forest cover - yuck, although this is changing).  For
what it's worth, BC has about 7,000 such sheets.  Crown Lands provides its
positional data in a nice, simple ASCII format, while Forests has this
attitude that just because they use Intergraph, everyone else should be able
to, too.  In Alberta, the Land Information Systems Division of Forests,
Lands, and Wildlife has a 1:20,000 planimetric + topographic program.  East
of Alberta, my knowledge gets pretty hazy - I know Ontario has the Ontario
Base Mapping Program (Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources), but I know
none of the details.

In terms of standards, the Canadian Council on Surveying and Mapping has
proposed a set of standards for feature coding and data interchange that
look fairly reasonable - we use their feature coding methodology in-house.
Unfortunately, *very big egos* tred here, and almost everyone wants his own.
There is an ongoing federal shoot-out that is supposed to select a new
standard any day now - great, just what we need, another standard!  Of
course, no one would dream of adopting, say, DLG-3... and what's that, you
say?  There's a proposed ISO standard??? First thing we've heard about it :-)

Outside of Canada, the only (very limited) experience I've had has been in
a project we're involved with in the ASEAN countries.  To date, there are
very few maps in SE Asia, let alone digital ones (and the standards that
might be expected to go with them).  Mostly, this is a consequence of lack
of airborne data (due to military concerns, weather, etc), although a fair
bit of RADAR work has been done in Indonesia by Intera (from Calgary, Alberta).
Also, both LANDSAT and SPOT pass over just before noon (if memory serves me);
at any rate, rather after the day's weather has built up.  Finally, TM
ground receiving has only recently hit the area, so many extant maps made
from satellite imagery were derived from MSS.  In general, most of the digital
data is satellite based; there is a paucity of "traditional" stuff.

Please feel free to disagree, all!  Hope this hasn't been too boring.

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.215213.26334@tfic.bc.ca>
	clh@tacitus.UUCP (Chris Hermansen) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>
>[...] The Feds have two programs, one at 1:50,000 and one at 1:250,000.
>[...] I think both series are NAD27.
>
>Provinces typically have their own base mapping program at larger scales.
>For example, BC has two (!) 1:20,000 programs: one by the Ministry of Crown
>Lands (planimetry, topography, NAD83 - nice stuff, too), [...]

    NAD27 -- North American Datum 1927
    NAD83 -- North American Datum 1983

    Each of these refers to a set of parameters defining the ellipsoid
of the Earth.  See USGS Professional Paper 1395 for a detailed
explanation of each of these coordinate systems.

							-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.