[comp.graphics] JPEG info

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (04/03/91)

Hi,
	Sorry if this a FAQ, but i need some info. Has anyone got any
information or can anyone point me to anything to do with JPEG?

Has anyone any source code examples (preferably in C) that they could email me.

I am looking at implimenting JPEG comperession on pictures on the PC,
and would be gald of any advice/assistance available.

THanks, Justin Smith

--
|------------Justin Smith---SYSOP--Orange Crush BBS (708) 359-5379-------------|
|      USRobotics HST14400/MNP5/V.32/V.42bis  | "one thought he was invincible,|

edr@techunix.BITNET (Ehud Reshef) (04/04/91)

In article <6117@flint15.UUCP>, smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) writes:

|> Hi,
|>      Sorry if this a FAQ, but i need some info. Has anyone got any
|> information or can anyone point me to anything to do with JPEG?
|>
|> Has anyone any source code examples (preferably in C) that they could email m
e.

|> I am looking at implimenting JPEG comperession on pictures on the PC,
|> and would be gald of any advice/assistance available.
|>
|> THanks, Justin Smith

I know of only one PD JPEG around : alchemy.
dobn't have it, but I know it works on a PC.
I'm currently also trying to implement a part of JPEG on a PC.
I think that you could get much more info in comp.compression , as there was a r
ecent
post describing the JPEG method.

if you'd tell me via Email what exactly are you trying to do, I might ( if I hav
e it )
send you my rather incomplete code ...

    _                     | Ehud Reshef                    | No good deed
   /_   /_       _ /      | EDR @ Techunix .Bitnet         |    goes
  (___ /  ) (_( (_/       | EDR @ Techunix .Technion.Ac.IL |  unpunished.

tgl@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (04/05/91)

In article <9935@discus.technion.ac.il>, edr@techunix.BITNET (Ehud Reshef) writes:
> In article <6117@flint15.UUCP>, smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) writes:
> >      Sorry if this a FAQ, but i need some info. Has anyone got any
> > information or can anyone point me to anything to do with JPEG?
> > Has anyone any source code examples (preferably in C)...
>
> I know of only one PD JPEG around : alchemy.

Image Alchemy is *not* PD, it is shareware.  I'll restrain myself (for now)
from flaming about people who ignore the distinction.

None of the existing implementations of JPEG (including Alchemy) have
released source code; unsurprising since they all hope to make money on it.

To the best of my knowledge there is only one group working on a free
implementation of JPEG; that is a group I organized a few months ago.
We are making rather slow progress, but hope to release source code
sometime in the next few months.  Our current plans are to produce
versions for Unix machines, Macs, PCs, and Amigas.

If you'd like to join the group and help out, contact me by e-mail.
If you just want to use the code when it's available, watch this newsgroup
for announcements.

--
			tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu	BITNET: tgl%cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma