[comp.graphics] phigs/phigs+ references

richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Richard Weidner) (03/20/91)

What (if there are any) papers/books/etc exist on PHIGS/PHIGS+?

There must be a document of some kind which talks about the
PHIGS set. I suppose the Sun PHIGS package is based on something.
It certainly is not self contained.  I would appreciate hearing
from anybody who knows how to get more information on PHIGS/PHIGS+.

(Btw, the manual set is useless. It is superficial blurbs mixed
with man pages and a few specific examples. It doesn't even explain
the argument lists.)

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.013929.7036@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>
	richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Richard Weidner) writes:
>What (if there are any) papers/books/etc exist on PHIGS/PHIGS+?

There was once book in publication about PHIGS (it is now out of
print).  However, at the last SIGGRAPH, I asked several publishers if
they had plans for books on PHIGS/PHIGS+ and they each told me that
they either had books in preparation or books that were soon to go to
press.  Try giving some of the major technical publishing houses
(Springer-Verlag, Wiley, Addison-Wesley, etc.) a call and see what
they say.

Here is an article from comp.graphics that I dug out of my archives...
In the mean time if you have specific problems there are several
PHIGS/PHIGS+ literate folks (like myself) who read this group.

							-- Rich

From: jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics
Subject: Re: Graphics Standards? (PHIGS books)
Date: 12 Feb 91 19:27:53 GMT

> From: cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier)
>
> Following the federal Applications Portability Profile recommendations,
> which of the following standards fit what types of software products:
>
> GKS
> CGM
> PHIGS
> IGES
>
> Where would an item like TIFF fit?

CGM has some bitmap facilities.

> Any known source of info about the good, bad, and ugly nature of any of the
> above mentioned "standards"?

GKS - Graphical Kernal System - geometric graphics system
CGM - Computer Graphics Metafile - archive of graphics commands - very
      useful for plotting.
PHIGS - the best graphics standard!  3D geometric graphics with lighting
      and shading and neat primitives to draw fancy pictures.
IGES - Initial Graphics Exchange S(ystem?) - used to exchange CAD databases
      between CAD vendors.  Published by the US Govt.

If you are looking for a broad overview of graphics standards you might
try this:

>   Guidelines for determining when to use GKS and when to use PHIGS
>   Bettels, J.; Bono, P.R.; McGinnis, E.; Rix, J.
>   Author Affil:  Digital Equipment Corp., Geneva, Switzerland
>   Source: Comput. Graph. Forum (Netherlands)  vol.7, no.4,    pp.: 347-54
>   Publication Year: Dec. 1988
>   (29 Refs)
>   Abstract:  GKS,  GKS-3D, and PHIGS are all approved ISO standards for the
> application  programmer  interface.  How  do system analysts or programmers
> decide which standard to use for their application? The authors discuss the
> range  of  application  requirements  likely to be encountered, explore the
> suitability  of  GKS and PHIGS for satisfying these requirements, and offer
> guidelines to aid in the decision process.

I know I've seen other overviews of graphics standards. Just none recently.

There are a couple of books on CGM and GKS, but I do not have the
references written down.

As, for PHIGS, there are not any books out yet.  You can get the standard
itself from ANSI in New York. (212) 354-3300.  For PHIGS you want
ANSI X3.144-1988 or ISO 9592.  They will also have the GKS and CGM specs.

There are at least 2 books on PHIGS coming out.  Last year at SIGGRAPH90
both Addison-Wesley and Prentice Hall said they would have books out by
the end of the year...  Prentice Hall now says "very soon".  Addison
Wesley is a little more specific: first week of March in UK and first
week of April in the US. The title will be " A PRACTICAL INTRODUCTION TO
PHIGS and PHIGS PLUS"

I've heard rumors of rumors of two others, but nothing specific.  It
would be great to hear about any others coming out...

--
-Jan "YON" Hardenbergh       jch@stardent.com         (508)-371-9810x261
Stardent Computer, 6 N.E. Tech Center, 521 Virginia Rd,Concord, MA 01742

--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.

prestonm@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Martin Preston) (03/25/91)

In <1991Mar21.024352.18147@dsd.es.com> rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) writes:
>press.  Try giving some of the major technical publishing houses
>(Springer-Verlag, Wiley, Addison-Wesley, etc.) a call and see what
>they say.

>There are at least 2 books on PHIGS coming out.  Last year at SIGGRAPH90
>both Addison-Wesley and Prentice Hall said they would have books out by
>the end of the year...  Prentice Hall now says "very soon".  Addison
>Wesley is a little more specific: first week of March in UK and first
>week of April in the US. The title will be " A PRACTICAL INTRODUCTION TO
>PHIGS and PHIGS PLUS"

>I've heard rumors of rumors of two others, but nothing specific.  It
>would be great to hear about any others coming out...

As far as i'm aware the 'Practical Introduction' book is out in the UK
at the moment,as it was written by several guys here at Manchester. I don't
have any numbers or anything but try looking out for a mainly white hardback
book,with several film style strips running across it with various stills in the
movie cells.

The authors are...

  T.Howard
  W.T.Hewitt
  R.Hubbold
  K.M.Wyrwas

I'll remain tactfully silent about the quality of it as one of them is
currently my supervisor.

Martin
|     " Say from whence you owe this strange intelligence or why upon        |
|       this blasted heath you stop our way with such prophetic              |
|       greeting. Speak i charge you.." - Macbeth,Act I,Scene III            |

toby@cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) (03/28/91)

I have an annotated bibliography of references to PHIGS available by email.
State whether you want LaTeX, PostScript or cleartext.

There is also a new book on PHIGS: "A Practical Introduction to PHIGS and
PHIGS PLUS", published by Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-41641-7.

Toby
Toby Howard    Computer Science Department, University of Manchester,
Lecturer       Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
               janet:       toby@uk.ac.man.cs.p1
               internet:    toby%p1.cs.man.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
               earn/bitnet: toby%uk.ac.man.cs.p1@UKACRL
               uucp:        ...!ukc!mup1!toby       voice: +44 61-275-6274

clh@tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar20.013929.7036@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Richard Weidner) writes:
>What (if there are any) papers/books/etc exist on PHIGS/PHIGS+?

[stuff deleted]

>(Btw, the manual set is useless. It is superficial blurbs mixed
>with man pages and a few specific examples. It doesn't even explain
>the argument lists.)

Gee, are you sure you've looked at the whole set?  They're certainly THICK
enough to be a bit more than superficial...  I see argument lists fairly
well documented here too.  Do you have 1.3?

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
clh@tfic.bc.ca                          V5Z 1E5

C'est ma facon de parler.

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.011323.15260@tfic.bc.ca>
	clh@tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) writes:
>In article <1991Mar20.013929.7036@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Richard Weidner) writes:
>>What (if there are any) papers/books/etc exist on PHIGS/PHIGS+?
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>>(Btw, the manual set is useless. It is superficial blurbs mixed
>>with man pages and a few specific examples. It doesn't even explain
>>the argument lists.)
>
>Gee, are you sure you've looked at the whole set?  They're certainly THICK
>enough to be a bit more than superficial...  I see argument lists fairly
>well documented here too.  Do you have 1.3?

Also, don't forget that there are several PHIGS/PHIGS+ literate folks
who monitor comp.graphics; I for one have answered several P/P+
questions on specific routines or methods for accomplishing a given
effect.

For instance, what's the best way to make something invisible within your
structure?  Depends.  You can use structure editing, name sets and the
invisibility filter, model space clipping (if supported by the
implementation), post/unpost with separate structure and probably
more.

There are usually several ways of accomplishing the same effect under
PHIGS/PHIGS+ and the difference in performance may vary under a given
implementation (and across platforms).

							-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.
UUCP: ...!uunet!dsd.es.com!rthomson		Rich Thomson
ARPA: rthomson@dsd.es.com			PEXt Programmer

jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (04/06/91)

reposting, first one got lost.

> What (if there are any) papers/books/etc exist on PHIGS/PHIGS+?

There are many papers on PHIGS about 57 through 1989 and another 22 last
year according to a recent library search. This is a little out of date
but great.

>   An annotated PHIGS bibliography
>   Howard, T.L.J.
>   Source: Comput. Graph. Forum (Netherlands)  vol.8, no.3,    pp.: 262-5
>   September 1989.

[Toby just offered this by mail, I assume it is updated ]

As far as new books go:

"A Practical Introduction to PHIGS and PHIGS PLUS" has been published by
Addison Wesley in England. It's written by Toby Howard, Terry Hewlitt
and others. It should be in stores in the U.S. in April.
(ISBN 0-201-41641-7)

Prentice Hall will actually be publishing a book on PHIG's very soon.
It is by Valerie Clark (formerly??? of Sun Microsystems)

John Wiley and Sons, Inc.  is also planning to have a book available at
SIGGRAPH91. "A Primer for PHIGS" by Hopgood & Duce.
(ISBN: 471 93042 3, due Aug 91, 280 pp)

There is also some speculation that the PEX-SI man pages - quite good -
will be published by O'Reilly Associates.  Neither the SI folks nor
O'Reilly will say anything about it.

The old Template book is rumored to be re-issued, too.

After SIGGRAPH and before the end of the year there are supposed to be
two more books on PHIGS coming out.  I wish I were writing one, too.

Speaking for myself,