[comp.graphics] ModelView and *.dgn files

pax@cs.fau.edu (Garry M. Paxinos) (04/02/91)

I have just been given some *.dgn and *.qs files that were generated by
a package called 'ModelView'.     Does anyone know of a way to convert
either file into something usable by brlcad, vort, rayshade,... or any
other rendering/modeling software that is available on the net?

I've already checked the obvious places (include the FAQ) but can't find
any reference to the above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Garry.

pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Bourke) (04/06/91)

pax@cs.fau.edu (Garry M. Paxinos) writes:

>I have just been given some *.dgn and *.qs files that were generated by
>a package called 'ModelView'.     Does anyone know of a way to convert
>either file into something usable by brlcad, vort, rayshade,... or any
>other rendering/modeling software that is available on the net?
>
>I've already checked the obvious places (include the FAQ) but can't find
>any reference to the above.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Thanks,
>Garry.
ModelView is a package that runs on Intergraph workstations, for example,
we have it on an InterPro 2000. It takes model files from MicroStation
and renders them.

The .dgn file you mention is the MicroStation document, ie: it will
contain the geometry of the scene. The .qs file is a bit of a mystery.
Normally .dgn files will be accompanied by .dgnM files which describe
the surface characteristics, textures, etc... (M for materials)

The best I can offer at the moment is to convert the .dgn file with
MicroStation to a DXF file (this is a CAD interchange format) I don't
know whether any of the packages you mentioned support DXF, I don't
think RayShade does but I would expect BRLCAD to.

By the way, we have recently installed RayShade on the Silicon Graphics
machine here and I am in the middle of creating translators from our CAD
packages to RayShade format, I may get to do a DXF transletor.