[comp.graphics] SRGP

ih3e@trinity.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ian Hoenisch) (01/25/91)

Hi,

	Sorry for not being more specific, the last article was written
kind of quickly.  SRGP is a Simple Raster Graphics Package and was written
by Foley and VanDam etc.  It is a platform for graphics programs and if
one has a version of SRGP on his platform, many graphics programs will run
on this platform.  The reason we would like to port it to MINIX 1.5
is that someone could implement a very portable window manager and have
everyone use it.  We are going to port many software graphics tools that we
have written in house to MINIX for a larger project and research.

Thanks for all honest replies,  Ian

Ian Hoenisch (ih3e@virginia.edu) or (ih3e@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu)
Graduate Student, Computer Science Department, Thornton Hall,
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2442
Virtual reality is REAL; How real is virtuality?

gls@novavax.UUCP (Gary Schaps) (01/30/91)

Having obtained and built SRGP, I find that the example programs
(X_demo_anim for instance) do not get keyboard input when run on
a Sparcstation under OpenWindows v2.  Would anyone who has already
confronted this problem like to save me some time?  Thanks.

--

Gary L. Schaps
gls@novavax.nova.edu

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan24.173802.17394@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> ih3e@trinity.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ian Hoenisch) writes:

|	Sorry for not being more specific, the last article was written
|kind of quickly.  SRGP is a Simple Raster Graphics Package and was written
|by Foley and VanDam etc.  It is a platform for graphics programs and if
|one has a version of SRGP on his platform, many graphics programs will run
|on this platform.  The reason we would like to port it to MINIX 1.5
|is that someone could implement a very portable window manager and have
|everyone use it.  We are going to port many software graphics tools that we
|have written in house to MINIX for a larger project and research.

	I'm surprised that MGR hasn't been ported
	yet to MINIX, it's structure and resource
	kindness should be a natural for it as a
	good window manager. It also has a fair
	number of nice utilities as well.

	MGR has been ported to a lot of venues -
	It runs quite well on AT&T 3B1's for example
	which aren't exactly known for horsepower
	or memory capacity (68010 @ 10MHz, 4 MB max.).

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

surfer@Erc.MsState.Edu (John West) (02/07/91)

>Having obtained and built SRGP, I find that the example programs
>(X_demo_anim for instance) do not get keyboard input when run on
>a Sparcstation under OpenWindows v2.  Would anyone who has already
>confronted this problem like to save me some time?  Thanks.

From my personal experiences with SRGP, it appears to be a problem
with the olwm.  This appears to stem from olwm being ICCCM compliant
and preferring that its associated clients also be ICCCM compliant.

This got tossed around in one of the net.groups not too long ago, and
I think a few people agreed with me.  I don't believe that there is
any way to correct this input focus problem short of recoding parts of
SRGP to make it ICCCM compliant.

My advice: get twm and run SRGP under it.

--
hangin' ten:
-John West-      MSUNSFERC4CFS          surfer@erc.msstate.edu

toby@p1.uk.ac.man.cs.ux (toby) (04/09/91)

Has anyone written any programs/demos/utilities using Foley & Van Dam(et
al)'s SRGP package?  If so, would they be willing to share them? We have
SRGP running here and are anxious to evaluate it. I'll post a summary if
relevant.

Thanks
Toby
Toby Howard    Computer Science Department, University of Manchester,
Lecturer       Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
               janet:       toby@uk.ac.man.cs.p1
               internet:    toby%p1.cs.man.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
               earn/bitnet: toby%uk.ac.man.cs.p1@UKACRL
               uucp:        ...!ukc!mup1!toby       voice: +44 61-275-6274