[comp.graphics] fractals with dimension greater than 3?

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.163135.25063@leland.Stanford.EDU>
	rick@hanauma.Stanford.EDU (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>I notice there are some geological phenemena that are scale-invariant in 3-D
>and over time.  Is this a fractal with dimension at least 3?

Probably more like it is a fractal with dimension between 2 and 3,
imbedded in 3-space.  For instance, the standard middle-thirds Cantor
set has dimension ln(2)/ln(3), which is somewhere between 0 and 1.
The standard Cantor set is imbedded in the real-line.

This is not to say that there aren't fractals with dimension higher
than 3, but they are imbedded in some space R^n, n > 3.

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
    ``Read my MIPs -- no new VAXes!!''  --George Bush after sniffing freon

rick@hanauma.Stanford.EDU (Richard Ottolini) (04/05/91)

stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) (04/05/91)

Richard Ottolini writes:

>I notice there are some geological phenemena that are scale-invariant in 3-D
>and over time.  Is this a fractal with dimension at least 3?

Why not? Fractals exist in all dimensions. Now, find its fractal dimension...
Has anyone tried to generate such fractals? As the phenomenon is 4 dimensional
this could generate interesting animations: "fractal animations" :) Of course
there are limitations: most of the current synthesis techniques are already
too expensive for 3D phenomena. But, with a couple of Crays...

cheers,
Jos

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr4.163135.25063@leland.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma.Stanford.EDU (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>I notice there are some geological phenemena that are scale-invariant in 3-D
>and over time.  Is this a fractal with dimension at least 3?

  I depends upon the geological fractal you're talking about.  Mountains may
be seen as 2.x dimensional, and clouds as zerosets of 3.x dimensional fractals
(as the coastline is the zeroset of a mountain).  So you may already invoke
a fractal dimension greater than 3 in a geological structure, even without
taking time into acount.

  I'm trying to imagine a phenomenon with the same statistical beavior in time
as in space...  Can you be more specific?

							Ken

--
"But what do we do about moose and squirrel?"	 -Boris Badanov

F. Kenton ("Ken") Musgrave	musgrave@yale.edu	(203) 432-4016
Yale U Depts of Math and CS	Box 2155 Yale Station	New Haven, CT 06520