[comp.graphics] Incredible discovery with Cshow and .gif files!!!!!!!

billj@uop.edu (Snugglupagus) (04/09/91)

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:

>This may be ignorant of me, but I just found out something
>really cool when viewing .gif files with Cshow.  Instead of
>using the options which are built into Cshow for viewing
>files up to 640x480x256, you can get TWICE the detail
>if you view files by using the special drivers that come
>with Cshow.

[some stuff deleted]

nooooooo kidding.....  i've been using the paradise driver for quite some
time now...  ever since i downloaded the file.  but yes, there is a marked
difference in picture quality.

>If you have any of the following .gif files, they are GREATLY
>improved this way:

[list deleted]

actually, i always thought the stuff from a.s.p. was kinda nice... ;-)

>Now, can somebody tell me why the two different drivers
>do this?  Note: Many of my files have been converted
>from .jpg to .gif with alchemy.  Does this have anything
>to do with it?

i have no idea whatsoever.  however, i DO know that it has nothing to do
with jpeg compression.  none of my gifs have ever been jpeg'd.  in fact,
i thought there was a significant loss in picture quality with them
compressed like that.  try some 'pure' gif files.  you'll probably
notice a bigger difference.

snugglupagus
(yes, i have a .signature.  no, nn doesn't like it.)

robeson@brahms.udel.edu (Scott M Robeson) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr9.043240.27736@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
>Now, can somebody tell me why the two different drivers
>do this?  Note: Many of my files have been converted
>from .jpg to .gif with alchemy.  Does this have anything
>to do with it?

Read the document files that come with Cshow.  In the ordinary
drivers (i.e., non-tweaked), every other line of the image is
sampled and displayed, giving that grainy appearance.  The
document files also indicate which graphics cards are supported
and how to enable them.