[comp.graphics] Alg. for grey scale image thinning

am@cacs.usl.edu (Asokan Manohar - Library Acct.) (04/07/91)

I am looking for algorithm/source code for thinning/skeletonizing of grey scale
images. If anyone has knowledge about this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

am@cacs.usl.edu

mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU (michael k finegan) (04/09/91)

am@cacs.usl.edu (Asokan Manohar - Library Acct.) writes:

>I am looking for algorithm/source code for thinning/skeletonizing of grey scale
>images. If anyone has knowledge about this, please let me know.
>Thanks in advance.
>am@cacs.usl.edu

Take a look at "A One-Pass Thinning Algorithm and Its Parallel Implementation",
CVGIP, 40, 1987, pp. 30-40 by R.T. Chin, et al. I believe Chin has also
published a more recent paper. To make a thinning method work for grey level
images, I selected a threshold (several methods), and when done, restored
the original grey level back to the pixels which were not thinned away.
In contrast, Judith Hilditch ("Linear Skeletons from Square Cupboards",
Machine Intelligence 4, American Elsevier Publ. Co., Inc., pp. 403-420, 1969)
uses thinning at each grey level to do 'grey scale thinning'.

						Michael Finegan
						mfinegan@uceng.uc.edu