[net.cooks] Egg availability

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (05/10/85)

In article <10544@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>Regarding the surplus of eggs:
>
>Why are there egg-gluts now? Eggs cost 89 or 99 cents or more a dozen
>for months, and now, all of a sudden, they are free with $20 purchase,
>or 29 cents, or you can buy all you want at 49 cents a dozen!

One reason eggs were so expensive for a while (at least in the Mid-Atlantic
States) was a flu epidemic in the chickens.  They killed a lot of chickens
around here just because they were exposed to this disease.  When I last
bought eggs (5/7), extra-large were 79 cents a dozen.  That still isn't
cheap (cheep? :-) ), but it's better than over a dollar a dozen.

On another note (getting back to the original question), I use extra egg
yolks in bread.  I imagine you can always toss an extra yolk into your
scrambled eggs.
				Beth Katz
				{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!beth