[comp.graphics] Generating surfaces from 2D stereo photographs

kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) (04/15/91)

Someone asked about generating 3D shapes from 2D images. I think that
they were talking about using movies but here's a refrence that uses
two stereo photographs:

_From Images to Surfaces_
by William Eric Leifur Grimson 273 pages
MIT press 1981  ISBN 0-262-07083-9

  It describes a system whereby two photographs may be used to
reconstruct a distance mesh of the objects.

  Computer generated random dot patterns are used as well as a
real world object splattered with paint as examples.

  It has a million stereo images to be used by the crossed eye
fusion method. These are the most fun thing in the book.

  Also if you like crossed eye photographs check out _Science_
Vol 252 5 April 1991 It has a ton of stereo images in this issue.

--
 -Alan Kilian kilian@cray.com                  612.683.5499
  Cray Research, Inc.           | If you were plowing a field what would you

chang@tkl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Yaudong Chang) (04/15/91)

In article <190334.23387@timbuk.cray.com> kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes:

 >Someone asked about generating 3D shapes from 2D images. I think that
 >they were talking about using movies but here's a refrence that uses
 >two stereo photographs:
 >
 >_From Images to Surfaces_
 >by William Eric Leifur Grimson 273 pages
 >MIT press 1981  ISBN 0-262-07083-9
 >
 >  It describes a system whereby two photographs may be used to
 >reconstruct a distance mesh of the objects.

  Also on IEEE-PAMI Vol.7 No.1 1983 pp.17-34 :
  Computational Experiments with a Feature Based Stereo Algorithm
  By William Eric Leifur Grimson

  For more details about stereopsis :
  _Vision_ By David Marr 1982
  is also one of the choices.

				Yaudong Chang
				chang@tkl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp
				3 Depart. Takagi Lab.
				Industrial Institute of Science
				Univ. of Tokyo.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to  the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt
the world to himself. Therefore all progress
depends on the unreasonable man."
		--- Bernhard Shaw ---
				1st. grade of Doctoral Course

dfr@usna.NAVY.MIL (Prof. David F. Rogers) (04/15/91)

In article <190334.23387@timbuk.cray.com> kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes:

> >Someone asked about generating 3D shapes from 2D images.

Look in Mathematical Elements for Computer Graphics 2nd ed by
Rogers and Adams, McGraw-Hill 1990 section 3-21 pp 200-206.