[comp.graphics] Flight simulator

misha@nsc.nsc.com (Michael Umansky) (05/25/88)

There is a company, I think SYMBOLICS or SILICON SYSTEMS (I forget which),
that bundles a multi-user flight simulator with its workstations.
Does any one know if it is possible to get the sources to that flight
simulator and how?
Thanks
--
		NAME:   Michael Umansky (misha)
		E-MAIL:
			 	sun! ----\
				hplabs! --\
				pyramid! --+----> nsc!misha
				decwrl! --/
				amdahl! -/
		WORK:
			National Semiconductor Corporation
			1135 Kern Avenue,  Mail Stop - 7C266
			Sunnyvale, CA  94086
			(408) 721-8109 (work)
		HOME:
			4331 Lincoln Way
			San Francisco, CA  94122
			(415) 564-3921 (home)

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (05/25/88)

      The company is Silicon Graphics, and the program (called "jet") runs
only on workstations with their special hardware, for which it is a demo.

					John Nagle

figlik@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Jim Figlik) (05/27/88)

In article <17462@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      The company is Silicon Graphics, and the program (called "jet") runs
>only on workstations with their special hardware, for which it is a demo.
>
>					John Nagle

Microsoft has an exclusive distribution license for Flight Simulator on the
IBM PC. But this application was written by Sublogic. Sublogic also has a
product called JET, which simulates an F-15 and an F-16 in air-to-air as well
as air-to-ground battle. It runs about $20 discounted (2yr old copy).

Name:  Jim Figlik
 Org:  CAP Gemini America @AT&T Bell Labs, Indian Hill
Addr:  {world}!ihnp4!ihlpl!figlik
Disc:  These preceeding opinions not necessarily shared by anyone else

sherman@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (05/27/88)

> /* Written 10:56 pm  May 24, 1988 by jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU */
>
>       The company is Silicon Graphics, and the program (called "jet") runs
> only on workstations with their special hardware, for which it is a demo.
>
>					John Nagle

The Company IS Silicon Graphics, BUT the program is called "flight", or
"dog", "jet is a wireframe jet that you can spin around with a mouse.
The program "dog" is the same as flight, but you can dogfight with other
users over the net.

	Bill

/************************************************************************/
/* Bill Sherman			UUCP:	ihnp4!uiucuxc!uicsl!sherman	*/
/* Aviation Research Lab	DOMAIN:	sherman%uicsl@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	*/
/* University of Illinois	ARPA:	sherman%uicsl@uiucuxc.arpa	*/
/* Champaign-Urbana							*/
/*									*/
/* 	"You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes."	*/
/* 		Og							*/
/************************************************************************/

aacscjej@csuna.UUCP (j jackson) (05/29/88)

In article <17462@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      The company is Silicon Graphics, and the program (called "jet") runs
                                                                 ^^^
               actually I believe it is called "Dog" for dogfight.  It is
               written in "C" and only uses a Hi-res optical mouse, keyboard,
               and of course the IRIS workstation.  Try Comp.sys.sgi.

>only on workstations with their special hardware, for which it is a demo.
>
>					John Nagle

Miq (that's with a Q) Millman

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
Q   "Yes, I LIKE it!"           Q                                             Q
Q          -Emil, "Robocop"     Q    UUCP: ....ucbvax!litvax!csun!aacscjej    Q
Q                               Q    Else:  gee do cars have zip codes?       Q
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) (06/01/88)

In article <5099@ihlpl.ATT.COM> figlik@ihlpl.UUCP (55242-Figlik,J.R.) writes:
>Sublogic also has a
>product called JET, which simulates an F-15 and an F-16 in air-to-air as well
>as air-to-ground battle. It runs about $20 discounted (2yr old copy).

actually, it the two planes you can fly are a ground-based F-16 and a carrier
based F-18.

-- jdm
--
...!{tektronix!verdix}!sequent!gssc!jdm                John D. Miller
(503) 641-2200                                         Graphic Software Systems

alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) (08/08/89)

To everyone out there who is addicted to the Silicon Graphics flight
simulator...
I have been told that there is someone who has built additional models
such as a Stealth etc... Does anyone else have this? Or know where I can
get it? Also are have there been any other modifications or additions?

Thanks in advance
Alan Kennedy
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (08/10/89)

In article <89080823183450@masnet.uucp> alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) writes:
>To everyone out there who is addicted to the Silicon Graphics flight
>simulator...

Yeah, and dogfight as well. Just wish I had more time to fool around ...

>I have been told that there is someone who has built additional models
>such as a Stealth etc... Does anyone else have this? Or know where I can
>get it? Also are have there been any other modifications or additions?

I have heard the same thing. Apparently, someone at University of Toronto
has added a Klingon battle cruiser, complete with warp drives, photon
torpedos and a cloaking device. Try chasing that with the Cessna! Rumour
has it that a Sopwith Camel and Fokker Triplane have also been defined. Can
someone from UofT confirm/deny this?

(thanks fron me, too)
--
                       Se non e` vero, e` ben trovato
     ...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king        king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

elkins@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Elkins) (08/11/89)

The files defining the vertices, edges, surface colors, etc. of each
object composing a particular aircraft are all in
/usr/demos/lib/flight/*.d in ascii form (on an Iris 4D).  These
contain data that seems to have been produced from some 3D graphical
C language subroutine library.  Does anyone have specs for this format?
Or additional models of aircraft?

thanks,
George Elkins

ewp@cditi.UUCP (Rick Prins) (08/12/89)

In article <2368@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca>, king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
> I have heard the same thing. Apparently, someone at University of Toronto
> has added a Klingon battle cruiser, complete with warp drives, photon
> torpedos and a cloaking device. Try chasing that with the Cessna! Rumour
> has it that a Sopwith Camel and Fokker Triplane have also been defined. Can

Here at CDI, we have those images (Klingon, Tie fighter, X-wing, X-29, Sopwith)
But they are only for the 3000 series.  And they do not run in Dogfight mode.
But it is neat to take the Klingon warship (no cloaking) up to, oh, 2000mph.
And the X-wing takes off vertically.  What I want to know is when will the
F-15 look like a 15 and not a Tomcat with wings swept?  And when will
the F-18 look like one?

Rick.

josef@ugun13.UUCP (08/12/89)

 > such as a Stealth etc... Does anyone else have this? Or know where I can
	     ^^^^^^^

Imagine ... a jet flown by a computer simulated on a computer!
Next step would be to simulate it on a virtual machine!

Talk about layered protocols

		Josef Moellers

	paper mail:			e-mail:
c/o Nixdorf Computer AG		USA:  uunet!linus!nixbur!mollers.pad
Abt. DX-SC 1			!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad
Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring			Phone:
D-4790 Paderborn		(+49) 5251 104691
| "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life.	|
|  Can You give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out	|
|  death in judgement"							|
|			Gandalf to Frodo in "The Fellowship of the Ring"|

alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) (08/14/89)

2000 MPH? Well...
I was the originator of this question a couple days ago, and am amazed
at the number of other people who want to know where to find this data.
We have 2 4D's, a CS12 and a 3130. You say that they only run on the
3000 series, but I would imagine that they have code for the 4Ds by now.
The problem is.... where did you get the code? I live in Toronto, which
is apparently where it originated. Can you give me some clue as to where
or who at University of Toronto I can contact?
Also, you can't dog huh? Can you record a path? ie: dog -o? Or will
dog even recognise it?  Thanks for any info you can send me.  I'll pass
it along to the the others who want to know.

Alan Kennedy
The Image Group
Toronto
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

ewp@cditi.UUCP (Rick Prins) (08/17/89)

In article <89081507583636@masnet.uucp>, alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) writes:
> 2000 MPH? Well...
> I was the originator of this question a couple days ago, and am amazed
> at the number of other people who want to know where to find this data.
> We have 2 4D's, a CS12 and a 3130. You say that they only run on the
> 3000 series, but I would imagine that they have code for the 4Ds by now.
> The problem is.... where did you get the code? I live in Toronto, which
> is apparently where it originated. Can you give me some clue as to where
> or who at University of Toronto I can contact?
> Also, you can't dog huh? Can you record a path? ie: dog -o? Or will
> dog even recognise it?  Thanks for any info you can send me.  I'll pass
> it along to the the others who want to know.

I would suggest contacting your SGI rep or SGI in CA.  The code I have
(executable only) was here when I started (11/88).  We have it for the
3130.  As for the 4D, I am under the impression that these models will
not be put on the 4D at all.  I think that SGI is looking for realism in
the simulator (any SGI comments on that). As far as getting the executable,
try contacting your local SGI rep or SGI in Moutain View, CA.  Your
rep will probably be able to do more though, I don't think that SGI engineers
will want to be bothered.

Yeah, you can record paths with the -o.  You may already have it on the system.
It was called 'sdog', for superdog, on ours.  I recently talked with
one of the developers from SGI about the images and new models, he said
that he has a problem getting good data (image) for the planes.

^>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
^ Rick Prins           | "So I told her, 'Ooh, you've got money of your own?  v
^ ewp@uunet!cditi      |  Well that gives me the urge, to merge.'"            v
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<v

dal@midgard.Midgard.MN.ORG (Dale Schumacher) (08/21/89)

In article <89081507583636@masnet.uucp> alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) writes:
[Asks about flight -vs- dog and if 'dog -o' works...]

Since we probably can't actually play 'dog' in real-time with each other,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in exchanging 'dog -o' flight
path files, just for fun, to see what tricks we all have.  If there is
interest, I would suggest that the files be limited to some reasonable
size (they get VERY big VERY quickly), so you'd have to get up, do your
thing, and get down (or die) quickly!  If you want to see what I'm talking
about, just try 'dog -o path1', fly a bit, then exit and try 'dog -i path1'
and try to follow yourself.

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (08/22/89)

In article <486@cditi.UUCP> ewp@cditi.UUCP (Rick Prins) writes:
>I would suggest contacting your SGI rep or SGI in CA.  The code I have
>(executable only) was here when I started (11/88).
SGI will probably be reluctant to release the source code for 'flight' or
'dog', as these are really demos and not supported applications.

>I think that SGI is looking for realism in the simulator
I would disagree with this, as the program, being only a demo, does not
take into account all of the flight characteristics of the aircraft. In
some cases (F16/18) these characteristics may be classified information.
I have seen the F18 flying slowly at low altitude with a high angle of
attack - very much like a kite - and the simulation won't do this at all.

>I don't think that SGI engineers will want to be bothered.
Probably not, but they sure spend a lot of time playing 'dog' themselves -
they have become real aces at ACM (Aerial Combat Maneuvers) on the simulator.
(I found this out when I visited SGI for a training course)

And, of course, all you have here are my opinions...
--

sjm@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott J Mark) (08/23/89)

In article <2433@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
>SGI will probably be reluctant to release the source code for 'flight' or
>'dog', as these are really demos and not supported applications.

	SGI does release the source code for 'flight' and several other
of the demonstration programs.  You can contact the company for
availability and pricing.

>I have seen the F18 flying slowly at low altitude with a high angle of
>attack - very much like a kite - and the simulation won't do this at all.

	Don't be too certain about that.  Practice practice practice.  :-)
Massaging the code on handling wing stalls won't hurt, either.

>...but they sure spend a lot of time playing 'dog' themselves -
>they have become real aces at ACM (Aerial Combat Maneuvers) on the simulator.

	Are there any technical sources on ACM/ACT available?  I haven't
been able to find anything much more enlightening than how to do stunts.

	We're also very interested in finding source code for producing
other aircraft.  We've managed to procure executables (Hi, Rick!) with
an X-wing fighter, a TIE fighter, a Klingon cruiser, a Sopwith Camel,
and a Fokker triplane- but alas, the executables are for the
68020-based machines, and all we have are the MIPS-based.  :-(

	Any information on either of the above two topics would be
greatly appreciated.

							Scott Mark

--
sjm@cs.purdue.edu

alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) (08/23/89)

>If you want to see what I'm talking about, just try 'dog -o path1',
>fly a bit, then exit and try 'dog -i path1' and try to follow
>yourself.

And if you get really good, try formation flying with 13 or 14   F16's.

OPEN QUESTION:
Does anyone know how I can dog between a 3130 and a 4D series machine?
We can dog now between the 2 4D's, but would be nice if a 3rd could join
in. Any ideas?

Alan Kennedy
The Image Group
Toronto
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

ewp@cditi.UUCP (Rick Prins) (08/29/89)

In article <89082322431180@masnet.uucp>, alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) writes:
> OPEN QUESTION:
> Does anyone know how I can dog between a 3130 and a 4D series machine?
> We can dog now between the 2 4D's, but would be nice if a 3rd could join
> in. Any ideas?

You are supposed to be able to do this.  The simulators, we were told, are
fully compatable (providing the images are the same).  However, I have never
been able to get it to work.

^>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
^ Rick Prins           | "So I told her, 'Ooh, you've got money of your own?  v
^ ewp@uunet!cditi      |  Well that gives me the urge, to merge.'"            v
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<v

petey@umbc5.umbc.edu (05/30/90)

This one is to all the math wizards...

Im writeing a 3D flight simulator.  Actually, I wouldnt call it a simulator.
Anyway, here's my problem:

If the viewers point of view is at coordinated px,py,pz
and given, yaw,pitch,roll( view rotation about the y,x,z axis's sp?)
and given that I want to move the plane forward say h units.
How do I compute the px'.py',pz' ?  Is there an easy way?
Ive played around with sin's and cos's like crazy, but I cant get it
quite right.

HEEEEEEELLLPP!!!

thanks in advance!!!

							Petey

bldrnr@Apple.COM (Brian Hurley) (05/30/90)

In article <3370@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> petey@umbc5.umbc.edu writes:

>This one is to all the math wizards...
>Im writeing a 3D flight simulator.  Actually, I wouldnt call it a simulator.
>Anyway, here's my problem:
>If the viewers point of view is at coordinated px,py,pz
>and given, yaw,pitch,roll( view rotation about the y,x,z axis's sp?)
>and given that I want to move the plane forward say h units.
>How do I compute the px'.py',pz' ?  Is there an easy way?
>Ive played around with sin's and cos's like crazy, but I cant get it
>quite right.
>HEEEEEEELLLPP!!!
>
>							Petey

The use of yaw roll and pitch values to set the direction seems backwards
to me.  I'm no expert, but I've written a couple of simplistic flight
simulations and I used a velocity vector to compute px' py' pz'.  It
was much easier to calculate roll pitch and yaw from the velocity vector
using simple geometric methods.

Hope this helps.

Brian

	bldrnr@apple.com

jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) (05/31/90)

In article <3370@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> petey@umbc5.umbc.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]
>If the viewers point of view is at coordinated px,py,pz
>and given, yaw,pitch,roll( view rotation about the y,x,z axis's sp?)
>and given that I want to move the plane forward say h units.
>How do I compute the px'.py',pz' ?  Is there an easy way?
>Ive played around with sin's and cos's like crazy, but I cant get it
>quite right.

  Yes, there's a really easy way to do this.  First, you need to
concatenate all of your rotations so that you have your rotations
in 3x3 matrix form. See Microcomputers, Displays, Graphics and Animation,
by Bruce Artwick if you don't know how to do this (It's covered in other
graphics texts as well, and is just algebra).
  Assuming Z positive goes into the screen, do:

    dx = matrix.g*velocity;
    dy = matrix.h*velocity;
    dz = matrix.i*velocity;

    px' = px - dx;
    py' = py - dy;
    pz' = pz - dz;

  g,h,i are the z-row of the matrix, or a unit vector along the z-axis.
Thus we are just scaling the vector in the direction we wish to travel, and
using that value as a translation factor. So the nose of your "airplane"
must be defined along the +z axis.

  John

stefan@se7.cs.nps.navy.mil (westman stefan) (04/16/91)

I nead an easy to understand book about writing a flight simulator.
If I am correct I think there is one about Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Stefan Westman
US Naval Postgraduate School