[net.cooks] Boiling Water

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (04/25/85)

               Every cookbook I have read says that you

     should use COLD water when you are going to boil something

     (like noodles in a pot).  Why not HOT water?  Does anyone

     have an answer?

shp@crystal.UUCP (04/28/85)

>                Every cookbook I have read says that you
>      should use COLD water when you are going to boil something
>      (like noodles in a pot).  Why not HOT water?  Does anyone
>      have an answer?

	I think it may have something to do with water softeners, and what
    they put *IN* to the water (I know, they're supposed to remove minerals,
    but they do put something else in....I can't rinse my hair in pure hot,
    as it is far to slimy).  I find that hot water tastes funny, too.

	=shp

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (04/30/85)

In article <418@leadsv.UUCP>, chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) writes:

>                Every cookbook I have read says that you
>      should use COLD water when you are going to boil something
>      (like noodles in a pot).  Why not HOT water?  Does anyone
>      have an answer?

     If you think about where hot water comes from you get the answer.
Hot water is produced in a large tank that is anywhere from new to 20
years old.  All of the salts and other impurities that are found in your
local drinking water are concentrated in the tank.  Some day try an
experiment:  Take a glass of water from the cold tap and a glass from
the hot tap and put them in the refridge until cold.  See if you can
taste the difference.  If you cant taste it, dont worry about it.  My
guess is tha there will be a difference.

                          - Andy Bindman

carson@homxa.UUCP (P.CARSTENSEN) (04/30/85)

You use cold water to boil to make tea because it has more
air dissolved in it than hot water does, don't know about general case.
P.

strickln@ihlpa.UUCP (stricklen) (04/30/85)

> >                Every cookbook I have read says that you
> >      should use COLD water when you are going to boil something
> >      (like noodles in a pot).  Why not HOT water?  Does anyone
> >      have an answer?
>
> 	I think it may have something to do with water softeners, and what
>     they put *IN* to the water (I know, they're supposed to remove minerals,
>     but they do put something else in....I can't rinse my hair in pure hot,
>     as it is far to slimy).  I find that hot water tastes funny, too.
>
> 	=shp

I think also it might have something to do with the types of metals which
line some water heaters.  If such oxidize they could add undesirable
contaminants to the water.

gino@sdchema.UUCP (Eugene G. Youngerman) (05/01/85)

>               Every cookbook I have read says that you
>
>     should use COLD water when you are going to boil something
>
>     (like noodles in a pot).  Why not HOT water?  Does anyone
>
>     have an answer?

GINO the chemist here, with the answer
    Minerals have a variable solubility in water, and a particularly
    lousy taste.  (or at least not a particularly good one.)

    The solubility of just about anything in water (or any other
    solvent for that matter) goes up with temperature.  Sooooo
    COLD water has less minerals and other nasties in it than hot water.

    Not a particularly difficult or esoteric thing.

    GINO

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (05/01/85)

--------
[]
>>                Every cookbook I have read says that you
>>      should use COLD water when you are going to boil something
>>      Why not HOT water?
>
>	I think it may have something to do with water softeners...

Water softeners add sodium, and make the water slightly acidic.  Our kitchen
cold water tap is plumbed to hard water rather than soft.
Opinions expressed have been generated solely by line-noise.
{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!cadtec!rick    N1150G   (408) 942-1535
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!"

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (05/01/85)

>Every cookbook I have read says that you should use COLD water
>when you are going to boil something (like noodles in a pot).  Why
>not HOT water?  Does anyone have an answer?

*** REPLACE YOUR ASTERISKS NOW ***

The way my mom explained it, you never know what goes on inside a water
heater, and for any cooking you want to use the water just as it comes out
of the ground (or reservoir or whatever). Just pure, clean fresh water, not
some that's had the bejeesus heated out of it for who knows how long. I
mean, there might be molecules in their that have been roaming around the
tank for WEEKS!

And by the way, you can believe my mom: she's the world's greatest cook,
having invented gravy and the easy way to peel an orange. She also taught
all her sons the CORRECT way to boil water - zap it!

Hope that helps.

--
 Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367

jss@brunix.UUCP (judith) (05/02/85)

Why start with cold water when you're going to boil it for cooking? My
mother used to tell me that old water heaters would collect crud at the
bottom, which would get sucked out if water was drawn when the heater was
low on water. I hope that it usually doesn't make any difference with
"modern" water heaters; certainly it doesn't if you have a continuous flow
heater.

jj@alice.UUCP (05/02/85)

GINO the chemist here, with the answer

>Still believing in the conservation of mass,
>    Minerals have a variable solubility in water, and a particularly
>    lousy taste.  (or at least not a particularly good one.)
>
>    The solubility of just about anything in water (or any other
>    solvent for that matter) goes up with temperature.  Sooooo
>    COLD water has less minerals and other nasties in it than hot water.
>
>   Not a particularly difficult or esoteric thing.
>
>   GINO
Gino, I have a question.  If there are more minerals disolved in
hot water, they must come from somewhere?   Given that every
water heater I've ever had has died due to DEPOSITS of minerals
in the tank (despite careful and periodic flushing), it seems
to me that the net flow of minerals in my tank is positive, in the sense
that they come into the tank, and then precipitate into the tank.
Given this, I propose  that there cannot be MORE minerals in the
hot water, since one has (input minerals) - (minerals deposited)
coming out of the tank.  <The tanks don't seem to be dissolving, and that's
the only other possible source of minerals...>

Now, then, all of the dissolved air is generally eliminated,
mostly (I understand) by reaction with other disolved minerals,
thus leading to FLAT tasting water.  This is the reason MY mother
always gave me for using cold water.  It also shows why that
pouring the HOT water through an aeriator and letting it hit the pot
hard also seems to make tea taste better.

Still believing in the conservation of mass,
--
DO TEDDY BEARS HAVE OPINIONS?  ASK YOURS TODAY!
"My mind is clearer now, at last, all too well, I can see, where we all,

(ihnp4/allegra)!alice!jj

asente@Cascade.ARPA (05/03/85)

I once did a taste test making tea with water starting from hot and
cold water, and there was indeed a noticable difference.  The people I
served it to also noticed the difference, and I didn't tell them what
it was.  (They thought it was a different blend of tea.)  Interestingly
enough, there was nowhere near a concensus as to which tasted *better*.

When boiling water for cooking noodles or anything of that sort, I
always start with hot water.  It is far more energy efficient to let
your water heater heat the water than your stove.

	-paul asente

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (05/13/85)

>                Every cookbook I have read says that you
>
>      should use COLD water when you are going to boil something
>
>      (like noodles in a pot).  Why not HOT water?  Does anyone
>
>      have an answer?

Two reasons - one myth, one sensible

1.  MYTH - water boils faster if you start with cold water.  This is
	   the same logic that says that ice freezes faster if you
	   start with hot water.

2.  REAL - water taken from the hot water tap may be softened, and
	   therefore may contain salts.  Also, in older homes, the
	   water from an old heater may be picking up large quantities
	   of minerals.  These may affect the flavour or colour of
	   foods.