[comp.graphics] DIGS

pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) (04/17/91)

(Sorry for consuming net bandwidth with this -- can't get mail to the
people at rmit.oz.au.)

FYI -- Norfolk, VA.-based Unicad, Inc., already has a Device
Independant Graphics Library called DIGS, and I believe DIGS is a
registered trademark in the U.S. by them. Don't know whether that
makes a difference to you guys, seeing as how you're in Australia and
all, but I thought you'd like to know.
--

   -paul	pmartz@dsd.es.com
		Evans & Sutherland

dfr@usna.NAVY.MIL (Prof. David F. Rogers) (04/18/91)

!
!FYI -- Norfolk, VA.-based Unicad, Inc., already has a Device
!Independant Graphics Library called DIGS, and I believe DIGS is a
!registered trademark in the U.S. by them. Don't know whether that
!makes a difference to you guys, seeing as how you're in Australia and
!all, but I thought you'd like to know.

Interestingly enough the DIGS label was used on a package developed
by me at the US Naval Academy beginning in 1972/3. There is even
a manual for it printed in the late 70's. Maybe the government
actually has a claim on the name.

In fact, the RMIT DIGS package is based on the US Naval Academy
basic concept since I took it to Australia when I was on
sabbatical there. The RMIT DIGS package goes way beyond the
USNA package by incorporating the SGI GL library.

David F. Rogers
Professor of Aerospace Engineering
USNA

ken@shograf.com (Ken Garnett) (04/18/91)

In article <327@usna.NAVY.MIL> dfr@usna.NAVY.MIL (Prof. David F. Rogers) writes:
>In article <1991Apr17.150556.17688@dsd.es.com> pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) writes:
>!FYI -- Norfolk, VA.-based Unicad, Inc., already has a Device
>!Independant Graphics Library called DIGS, and I believe DIGS is a
>!registered trademark in the U.S. by them. Don't know whether that
>!makes a difference to you guys, seeing as
>
>Interestingly enough the DIGS label was used on a package developed
>by me at the US Naval Academy beginning in 1972/3. There is even
>a manual for it printed in the late 70's. Maybe the government
>actually has a claim on the name.
>
>In fact, the RMIT DIGS package is based on the US Naval Academy
>basic concept since I took it to Australia when I was on
>sabbatical there. The RMIT DIGS package goes way beyond the
>USNA package by incorporating the SGI GL library.

Actually, so does the Unicad DIGS package -- in fact, its architecture (which
is sort-of object-oriented) incorporates interfaces to SGI's GL, Apollo's GMR
and GPR, Sun's pixwin & NeWS & (old) gplib, most Tektronix terminals, several
Calcomp (and other - can't remember) plotters, GE Graphicon, Masscomp, and a
few others.  The package was developed during the mid-to-late 80's

To the best of my recollection, Unicad's name "DIGS" was arrived at internally
without any prior knowledge of Prof. Rogers' Naval Academy package.  The fact
that we did get a trademark on the name shows that we at least checked around...

- Ken Garnett (ex-Unicad-ite)

--
   - Ken Garnett             Internet:  ken@shograf.com
     ShoGraphics, Inc.           UUCP:  ...!uunet!fernwood.mpk.ca.us!shograf!ken