[comp.graphics] Algorithm for contouring in polar coordinates?

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (04/18/91)

I just had a student come in with an interesting request.  He wants to contour
a dataset represented in terms of r and theta, in other words, in polar
coordinates.  Has anyone an algorithm or a pointer to something appropriate in
the literature?  I suppose I could hack something up if I needed to but I'd
appreciate not having to reinvent the wheel.

							spl (the p stands for
							polar coordinates)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 -- a guest at network.ucsd.edu --
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (04/19/91)

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) writes:

>I just had a student come in with an interesting request.  He wants to contour
>a dataset represented in terms of r and theta, in other words, in polar
>coordinates.  Has anyone an algorithm or a pointer to something appropriate in
>the literature?  I suppose I could hack something up if I needed to but I'd
>appreciate not having to reinvent the wheel.

The NCAR graphics subroutine package will contour data in polar coordinates
(or apply about any other transformation you can program).  The method
is not documented in the users' manuals, but you may be able to contact
them directly for information

Steve Masters   stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL  32940
(407) 254 4122

will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp (will) (04/19/91)

	Get the NCSA package.  It has that and more.

Excerpt from the README file:

The latest version of all NCSA software is kept on the anonymous ftp
server ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50).  If you don't have access to
the anonymous ftp server, you can obtain a copies through the
NCSA Technical Resources Catalog.  NCSA software and manuals
are available for purchase.  To obtain a copy of the catalog, contact:

NCSA Documentation Orders
152 Computing Applications Building
605 East Springfield Avenue
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 244-0072

Sample data files may be picked up from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50)

                                        William Dee Rieken
                                        Researcher, Computer Visualization
                                        Faculty of Science and Technology
                                        Ryukoku University