[comp.graphics] car ad

colin_fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) (04/15/91)

I forget which company it is (I think it's Chrysler), but there is an ad on the
air now that shows the company's design mods from their old mini-van to their
new one as a smooth morph. I love it! It looks great, and it's the first thing
I've seen using computer graphics that doesn't try for that 'computer' look.

Does anyone know what system this ad was done on?

* Colin_Fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca I Real programmers program in binary
with *
*-------------------------------------+             toggle switches... :)
 *
*
 *
* Informal home of SIGGRAPH Vancouver, and proud of it!
 *

ktureski@alias.uucp (Kevin Tureski) (04/19/91)

In article <colin_fox.0143@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>, colin_fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) writes:
> I forget which company it is (I think it's Chrysler), but there is an ad on the
> air now that shows the company's design mods from their old mini-van to their
> new one as a smooth morph. [...] Does anyone know what system this ad was done > on?

I'm not certain just what software was used, but it wasn't Alias. If you put
it on your VCR and play it back frame-by-frame (and this is why I like my Beta deck which can do Beta 1) you'll notice a lot of cross disolves. If no one else
posts exactly how it was done from first-hand knowledge, I'll post my educated
guesses.

I do know that it was done by the same guys that did Creme and Godley's video;  can't recall their names offhand though.

--

Kevin Tureski
Director, Systems Integration

ktureski@alias.com

thad@lever.asd.sgi.com (Thaddeus Beier) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr19.022914.1296@alias.com>, ktureski@alias.uucp (Kevin
Tureski) writes:
|> In article <colin_fox.0143@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>,
colin_fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) writes:
|> > I forget which company it is (I think it's Chrysler), but there is
an ad on the
|> > air now that shows the company's design mods from their old
mini-van to their
|> > new one as a smooth morph. [...] Does anyone know what system this
ad was done > on?

|> I'm not certain just what software was used, but it wasn't Alias. If you put
|> it on your VCR and play it back frame-by-frame (and this is why I
like my Beta deck which can do Beta 1) you'll notice a lot of cross
disolves. If no one else
|> posts exactly how it was done from first-hand knowledge, I'll post my
educated
|> guesses.
|>
|> I do know that it was done by the same guys that did Creme and
Godley's video;  can't recall their names offhand though.

|> --
|>
|> Kevin Tureski
|> Director, Systems Integration
|> Alias Research Inc.
|> 110 Richmond St E.
|> Toronto Canada M5C 1P1
|> 416 362-9181
|>
|> ktureski@alias.com

Wrong!  That ad was done with MY software, at Pacific Data Images, in LA
by Jamie Dixon, Rebecca Marie, and Sharon Callahan.  There is a combination
of image distortion and cross dissolves that do the animation, just like
in the Schick commercial also mentioned previously in this newsgroup.

This ad was the first use of the program, and it was sort of written as we
went along.  Each of the nine transitions was done in a couple of days, which
is not *too* bad for animation.  It was sure a lot of fun.

thad