[comp.graphics] comp.graphics

beverly@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Beverly Seavey) (10/03/89)

We are trying out a new Seiko  CH-5514 color laser printer. This thing
emits a high pitched whine with lots of energy. When I pointed this out
to the Seiko salesman/field engineer, he said "What do you want? It has
a motor?". Are all Seiko printers this irritating? Are all Seiko field
engineers this helpful. The noise is enough to make me a little sick,
and sounds like it will destroy hearing at this frequency very rapidly.

peter@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Peter Schroeder) (11/09/89)

In article <10432@thorin.cs.unc.edu>
butterwo@vangogh.cs.unc.edu (Jeff Butterworth) writes:
>What is Paul Haeberli from SGI doing?  People have been talking intelligently
>about the pro's and con's of posting images to comp.graphics.  The reason for
>this is that it might BOTHER some people.  I myself am a big fan of computer
>generated images and save every one that he posts, but geez!  Cool it until
>the news group decides where (if anywhere) to post these things!

I second this opinion. I must say it is rather rude to preempt people
talking about this by just posting.

I thought the point made by someone about the problem of newsfeeds to
other machines taking 8 hours via 2400 baud was very important. One aspect
that I did not think about before was raised then as well. If you have
limited disk space you will need to expire newsgroups earlier if fat
postings are in them. In other words: These postings are a drag on a
community wide resource!

On the other hand someone mentioned that a posting on the net would be
much better then 100 people in europe trying to each individually get a
given image over the atlantic via uucp. Well, if it is that important maybe
someone over there (and other continents, I suppose) could set up an
archive site.

Peter
peter@media-lab.media.mit.edu

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/10/90)

15 years ago computer graphics had a "crisis of conscience."
It kicked out the computer graphics which was done by multi-impact line
printers.  What will be next?

In the past, net.graphics, the topics for this group were much smaller,
and this was a more intimate place.  You COULD write "fan" mail to
experts and they would be happy to converse with you.  Not so now with
the explosion of personal computers and workstations, such people get
inundated, and burn out occurs rapidily.  As soon as you have answered
one question it reappears again.  Then there is the fact that graphics
now mean MONEY.  Fewer people are doing it for the fun or research.
We have seen students attempt to solve their homework problems by
appealing to the net.

The NET is not the place for a beginner to learn about graphics.  The net
has no concept of memory (yet).  You can't build upon experience.
It does not have the character for basic work like homogeneous
coordinates, etc.  Graphics in someways are too easy like art critics.

Unix-wizards started out as an ARPAnet mailing list.  It's now 3-4
different groups.  Graphics will envitably go this way as well.  The
quality of the group depends on you, the reader, and the tolerance
(and the lack of) we have for new people coming in: we're still basically
an ASCII group.  There's lots of issues like copyright, etc.

I KNOW that Mark, Rick and the others are tired of the repetitive
postings.  Jef and I and many others have started to institute FAQs
[frequently asked questions] postings, but it takes a bit of work.
The situation is only going to get worse, but there is a difference.
You guys have to make an effort to conserve your experts.  They
represent a precious resource.  Burn them out, and you have no recourse.
You have to learn to moderate yourselves.  Take on mentors.  ASK
by mail, etc.  It is one thing to step on the toes of a beginner [offense],
but another to burn out an expert.   I am not talking kit gloves treatment,
but you have just lost a major net resource.  You guys have to
organize like the wizards did and solve your problems.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (01/10/90)

In article <5948@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:

Thanks for your posting.  I haven't taken the time to reply to alot of your
recent postings, but I generally find them well thought out and reasonable,
even when (god forbid) I disagree with them.  Your points about the
appropriateness of the network as a learning forum are well taken.

In any case, keep up the good work :-)

Mark VandeWettering

timd@cognos.UUCP (Tim Dudley) (01/11/90)

In article <5948@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:

 >You guys have to make an effort to conserve your experts.  They
 >represent a precious resource.  Burn them out, and you have no recourse.
 >You have to learn to moderate yourselves.  Take on mentors.  ASK
 >by mail, etc.  It is one thing to step on the toes of a beginner [offense],
 >but another to burn out an expert.

It'll get worse - the experts will not only stop responding, but stop reading
the group.  Then all the beginners will have no one to talk to but themselves.

I completely agree with this posting.  There's an *enormous* body of published
knowledge out there.  Do your homework, THEN ask questions.

--
Tim Dudley                           Cognos Incorporated
(613) 738-1440                       3755 Riverside Drive, P.O.Box 9707

pramodmm@milton.u.washington.edu (Pramod Mahadev) (04/24/91)

iam looking for some information about bitpad. Is there anyone
who knows about it ? Please let me know more about bitpad. Is
there any place where I can get hold of it.
              Thanks in advance
                                       Pramod M.M
                                          University of Washington
                                             Seattle