[comp.graphics] RenderMan

bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) (07/07/88)

Can anyone provide the address at Pixar to write for a copy of this proposal?

Please email it to me.  I will post it if so requested.

	- Bob Lewis
	  bobl@tessi.uucp

P.S.	In case anybody's wondering: RenderMan (cap?), as I understand it,
	is a proposed format for the description of graphical scenes.

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (07/07/88)

In article <475@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP> bobl@ghidrah.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
>Can anyone provide the address at Pixar to write for a copy of this proposal?
>
>Please email it to me.  I will post it if so requested.
>
>	- Bob Lewis
>	  bobl@tessi.uucp
>
>P.S.	In case anybody's wondering: RenderMan (cap?), as I understand it,
>	is a proposed format for the description of graphical scenes.
The RenderMan Interface, Version 3.0, May 1988
Pixar
3240 Kerner Blvd.
San Rafael, CA 94901

(415)258-8100

Contact:  Barbara Koalkin, Public Relations
          Reference:  May 18, 1988 Press Release

The RenderMan interface is designed to be a standard interface between
modeling programs and rendering programs capable of producing photorealistic
quality images.  Renderman is designed so that information needed to specify
a photorealistic image can be passed to different rendering programs compactly
and efficiently.  The interface itself is designed to drive different hardware
devices, software implementations, and rendering algorithms.  Many types of
rendering systems are accommodated by this interface including: z-buffer-based,
scanline-based, ray tracing, terrain rendering, molecule or sphere rendering,
and proprietary architectures.  In order to do this, the interface does not
specify how the picture is to be rendered, but instead specifies what picture
is desired.

All RanderMan renderers will support:

o  the interface procedures as defined including types, constants, etc
o  produce picture files specifying any combination of RGB, A and Z ... the
   level of resolution set by the user
o  perform filtering and antialiasing
o  perform gamma correction and dithering before quantization
o  perform orthographic and perspective viewing transformations
o  perform hidden surface removal
o  provide geometric primitives and transformation commands
o  provide standard light source, surface, and atmosphere shaders
   required by the spec.

Option features include:

o  solid modeling, trim curves, variable level of detail, motion blur,
   depth of field, programmable shading, special camera projections,
   deformations, and displacements.

Companies already endorsing the RenderMan Interface include:  Apollo, Ardent,
DEC, MIPS Computer Systems, NeXT, Prime, Stellar Computer, Sun Microsystems,
Symbolics Graphics Div, Alias Research, Autodesk, Digital Arts, Intelligent
Light, Synthesis Software Solutions, Industrial Light & Magic, Pacific Data
Images, R/Greenberg Associates, The Analytic Sciences Corporation, Walt
Disney Corporation.

I believe this is a specification well worth review and comment back to the
Pixar Corporation.  Some features might be enhanced by wide review & comment.

Additional information on 3-D rendering techniques may be found in:

Angell, I. O. and Gareth Griffith.  High Resolution Computer Graphics Using
FORTRAN-77.  New York: John Wiley & Sons.  1987.  ISBN 0-470-20773-6

Mahnenat-Thalmann, Nadia and Daniel Thalmann.  Image Synthesis: Theory and
Practice.  Tokoyo: Springer-Verlag. 1987.  ISBN 4-431-70023-4  ... and ...

Rogers, David F.  Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics.  New York:
McGraw-Hill Book Company.  1985.  ISBN 0-07-053534-5

Rogers & Angell provide excellent implementation details.  Mahnenat provides
a broad overview, with good depth of coverage, and voluminous references to
the research literature on photorealistic image rendering.

A.J. Annala, USC NIBS Program, annala%neuro.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (07/08/88)

In article <475@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP> bobl@ghidrah.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
>Can anyone provide the address at Pixar to write for a copy of this proposal?

Look in the SIGGRAPH '87 proceedings or the CACM issue with the Jello article,
or use the pixar e-mail address that has appeared in this news group many
times (it's pixar, but of course I don't know the path from your site).

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (07/08/88)

In article <475@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP> bobl@ghidrah.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
>Can anyone provide the address at Pixar to write for a copy of this proposal?

P.S.  I saved the following form the Jello fiasco.  Paul Heckbert is now at
Berkeley, not Pixar.

sow@eru.mt.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) (07/11/88)

In article <10468@oberon.USC.EDU> annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|The RenderMan interface is designed to be a standard interface between
|modeling programs and rendering programs capable of producing photorealistic
|quality images.

|Companies already endorsing the RenderMan Interface include:  Apollo, Ardent,
|DEC, MIPS Computer Systems, NeXT, Prime, Stellar Computer, Sun Microsystems,
|Symbolics Graphics Div, Alias Research, Autodesk, Digital Arts, Intelligent
|Light, Synthesis Software Solutions, Industrial Light & Magic, Pacific Data
|Images, R/Greenberg Associates, The Analytic Sciences Corporation, Walt
|Disney Corporation.
|
|I believe this is a specification well worth review and comment back to the
|Pixar Corporation.  Some features might be enhanced by wide review & comment.

Since this seems to be a wide spread standard it would be very nice
if someone could post it to the net.

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
UUCP:    {uunet,mcvax}!enea!cad.luth.se!sow
ARPA:    sow%cad.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (only dumb ARPA mailers)
Internet: sow@cad.luth.se
Bitnet:  sow%cad.luth.se@sekth

ewhac@well.UUCP (07/13/88)

In article <10468@oberon.USC.EDU> annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
>The RenderMan Interface, Version 3.0, May 1988
>Pixar
>3240 Kerner Blvd.
>San Rafael, CA 94901
>(415)258-8100
>
>The RenderMan interface is designed to be a standard interface between
>modeling programs and rendering programs capable of producing photorealistic
>quality images.  Renderman is designed so that information needed to specify
>a photorealistic image can be passed to different rendering programs compactly
>and efficiently.  [ ... ]  In order to do this, the interface does not
>specify how the picture is to be rendered, but instead specifies what picture
>is desired.

	This reminds me:  I picked up a copy of this about a month ago.
What it appears to be is a library interface specification for a rendering
package (Thou shalt name thy functions this way, and they shall accept these
arguments).

	Now the question:  Have they settled on a file storage format for
RenderMan-defined scenes?  I mean, the library interface specification is
wonderful and all, but I can't see how I can use a modelling program to
create models/scenes for it, unless it generates C source as output.

	Am I missing something?  Am I from Mars?  Is it my breath?...  Hey,
where did everybody go?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
"Hmm, you're right.  Air is made up of suspended meat loaf."  -- Josh Siegel

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (07/13/88)

In article <1096@luth.luth.se> Sven-Ove Westberg <sow@cad.luth.se> writes:
>Since this seems to be a wide spread standard it would be very nice
>if someone could post it to the net.

The document is far too large to post to the net.

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (07/14/88)

In article <6516@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
" ...
" 	Now the question:  Have they settled on a file storage format for
" RenderMan-defined scenes?  I mean, the library interface specification is
" ...

Pixar plans to release the Renderman Interface Protocol, which
will be a file format for Renderman scene descriptions.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "Dr. Wombat" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (07/16/88)

In article <5167@watcgl.waterloo.edu> ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) writes:
|In article <1096@luth.luth.se> Sven-Ove Westberg <sow@cad.luth.se> writes:
|>Since this seems to be a wide spread standard it would be very nice
|>if someone could post it to the net.
|
|The document is far too large to post to the net.

Hmm, I didn't think _anything_ was too large to post to the net...

-scott

markv@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Mark VandeWettering) (07/17/88)

The discussion of the Renderman specification has peaked my interest, if
it is indeed to large to post to the net, how about making it available
from one of the many well-known anonymous ftp sites such as ucbvax or
uunet?

Mark VandeWettering, markv@cs.uoregon.edu

sow@eru.mt.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) (07/19/88)

In article <5167@watcgl.waterloo.edu> ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) writes:
|In article <1096@luth.luth.se> Sven-Ove Westberg <sow@cad.luth.se> writes:
|>Since this seems to be a wide spread standard it would be very nice
|>if someone could post it to the net.
|
|The document is far too large to post to the net.

How large is it? My idea is that if this kind of stuff was posted
to the net then we could start to review it.

What else should we have this newsgroup for. Asking questions where
the answer is read page nn in your favorite text book?

If anyone has a computer readable version please post it, or
mail it to me.

Regards,

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
Tel:     +46-920-91677  (work)                 +46-920-48390  (home)
UUCP:    {uunet,mcvax}!enea!cad.luth.se!sow
ARPA:    sow%cad.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (only dumb ARPA mailers)
Internet: sow@cad.luth.se
Bitnet:  sow%cad.luth.se@sekth.bitnet

apollo@ecf.toronto.edu (Vince Pugliese) (07/23/88)

 i have a copy of The RenderMan Interface Version 3.0
May 1988 and it weighs in at a little over 100 pages which
may be a bit too big for net distribution. also there are
illustrations in the document so, unless something like the
postscript version of the document were posted you would miss
some of the illustrative points that are being made. hope that
helps.
                                        vince pugliese
                                        apollo@ecf.toronto.edu

arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) (01/17/89)

I would like to know what actual implementations of the Renderman
proposal have appeared, if any. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Toby

Toby Howard
Lecturer
Department of Computer Science
University of Manchester

marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) (08/08/89)

I'd like to know more about Renderman.  Where can I get a specification or
a book about it?  I understand that it is intended for 3D graphics, but
does it handle 2D graphics as well or is there a lot of excess baggage?

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (08/09/89)

In article <887@mtk.UUCP>, marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
> I'd like to know more about Renderman.  Where can I get a specification or
> a book about it?

Addison-Wesley publishes a book by Steve Upstill (of Pixar) called "The
Renderman Companion".  See your local bookstore.

A copy of the "Renderman Interface Specification" can be obtained by
sending $15 to cover postage and hamdling to:
	Renderman
	Pixar
	3240 Kerner Blvd.
	San Rafael, CA  94901

>I understand that it is intended for 3D graphics, but
> does it handle 2D graphics as well or is there a lot of excess baggage?

Be sure you understand that Renderman is a SPECIFICATION for RENDERING
only.  This means that it does no modeling and no rendering.

A separate product from Pixar being called "Photorealistic Renderman" is a
rendering product only that fits the Renderman specification.  About the
only way that Photorealistic renderman is available is through a
developers kit that consists of a C library that provides the Rendering
capability to your own program.  Again Renderman has nothing to do with
modeling.

I suppose Renderman is inheritantly 3D but you certainly should be able
to render 2D objects also.  As for excess baggage ...

Disclaimer:  I have absolutely nothing to do with Pixar, but was at
SIGGRAPH and got very excited about the Renderman concept.

John Howell			uucp:		uunet!suntc!jrh
Deere & Company			MCImail:	John R. Howell, 360-4047
Technical Center		CompuServe:	john howell [76666,2505]
3300 River Drive		FAX:		(309)765-3807
Moline, IL  61265		Voice:		(309)765-3784

gg10@prism.gatech.EDU (Galloway, Greg) (11/14/89)

Does anyone know of the current status of the RenderMan standard?
Are any individuals or companies writing implementations of this
standard?  And if so, for what platforms?
What other documentation is needed besides _the_RenderMan_Companion_
and a stack of Siggraph proceedings to write an implementation?

Thanks,
Greg Galloway
Georgia Institute of Technology
gg10@prism.gatech.edu

Please E-mail responses.

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (07/11/90)

Sorry for the redundancy...

Where can I obtain renderman?  Is it PD?

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

toby@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) (01/03/91)

Hi, I'd like to get an implementation of Renderman. Can anyone advise me on
availability?

Thanks
Toby

Toby Howard    Computer Science Department, University of Manchester,
Lecturer       Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
               janet:       toby@uk.ac.man.cs.p1
               internet:    toby%p1.cs.man.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
               earn/bitnet: toby%uk.ac.man.cs.p1@UKACRL
               uucp:        ...!ukc!mup1!toby       voice: +44 61-275-6274

ddulmage@cdp.UUCP (01/05/91)

>Hi, I'd like to get an implementation of Renderman. Can anyone advise
>me on availability?

I believe that the new Autodesk 3D studio is based on Renderman. Check with
your local AutoCad dealer over there, I don't really know if it is in
distribution yet..

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (01/06/91)

toby@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:

>Hi, I'd like to get an implementation of Renderman. Can anyone advise me on
>availability?

Yes, it's out for the Mac.  Renderman by itself is a library; you can
trace off all library interactions to a .rib file, and replay that file
with a program that reads the .rib (Renderman Intermediate Something)
file and does all the library calls again.

Pixar is working on something called Gallery, which is a cute front end with
lots of pre-defined stuff so you can make pictures without writing C code.
Obligatory Mac Flame: On the Mac, this is a true blessing.

It's extremely slow.  Pixar has something else called WireMan (??)
which just does wire-frames and is real-time.  You code with Wire-Man
and then render with RenderMan.

Lance

jdashe@Autodesk.COM (Jeremy Dashe) (01/07/91)

In article <1091900009@cdp> ddulmage@cdp.UUCP writes:

>>Hi, I'd like to get an implementation of Renderman. Can anyone advise
>>me on availability?
>>
>I believe that the new Autodesk 3D studio is based on Renderman. Check with
>your local AutoCad dealer over there, I don't really know if it is in
>distribution yet..

  Autodesk 3D Studio can create RenderMan files, but isn't "based on"
RenderMan.

  You might be thinking of AutoShade Version 2 with Autodesk RenderMan,
which _does_ include a RenderMan renderer (on PCs, I might add).

  Also, keep in mind that "RenderMan" is a method of describing 3D
scenes, not a program in itself.  It's analogous to DXF for CAD or
PostScript for page description.

  For more info, check out "The RenderMan Companion" by Steve Upstill,
published by Addison-Wesley.  This book gives a great overview of
RenderMan's potential.

::::::::::::  Jeremy Dashe
::::/  \::::  jdashe@Autodesk.COM       "I don't really feel any different
:::/ /\ \:::  (415) 332-2344             from other people... I just notice
::/ /  \ \::                             the funny looks they give me."
:/ / /\ \ \:
::::::::::::  Autodesk, Inc.

blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Grant Blair) (01/07/91)

In article <2490@motcsd.csd.mot.com> lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) writes:
>toby@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:
>
>>Hi, I'd like to get an implementation of Renderman. Can anyone advise me on
>>availability?
>
>Yes, it's out for the Mac.  Renderman by itself is a library; you can
>trace off all library interactions to a .rib file, and replay that file
>with a program that reads the .rib (Renderman Intermediate Something)
>file and does all the library calls again.
>
>Pixar is working on something called Gallery, which is a cute front end with
>lots of pre-defined stuff so you can make pictures without writing C code.
>Obligatory Mac Flame: On the Mac, this is a true blessing.
>
>It's extremely slow.  Pixar has something else called WireMan (??)
>which just does wire-frames and is real-time.  You code with Wire-Man
>and then render with RenderMan.
>
>Lance

I'd like to add my two cents' worth here: I use Pixar's MacRenderMan. The way
I use it is in the following manner: using a text editor, I construct a RIB
file of commands which are then parsed and rendered my MacRenderMan. Of course
it's slow - it runs on a Macintosh. But the output is very pleasing.

Then I send my TIFF output file to my 4CAST color printer and it prints a very
pretty picture.

Grant.

|Grant C Blair, DuPont Imaging Systems, Newark, DE 19702, USA                 |
|blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (192.58.195.64)        (302)-733-9533               |

eliot@pixar.uucp (Eliot Smyrl) (01/08/91)

In article <2490@motcsd.csd.mot.com> lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) writes:
>toby@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:
>
>>Hi, I'd like to get an implementation of Renderman. Can anyone advise me on
>>availability?
>
>Yes, it's out for the Mac.  Renderman by itself is a library; you can
As mentioned in Jeremy Dashe's previous posting, "RenderMan" is a scene
description standard intended for the interface between modelers and renderers.
Pixar's implementation of this standard, PhotoRealistic RenderMan, is
available on Mac, PC, Sun 3, Sun 4 (SparcStation), and SGI 4D series machines.

Contact Pixar at
	Pixar
	1001 W. Cutting Blvd.
	Richmond, CA  94804
	USA
	(415) 236-4000
	fax: (415) 236-0388

(Please don't e-mail me).

>It's extremely slow.  Pixar has something else called WireMan (??)
>which just does wire-frames and is real-time.  You code with Wire-Man
>and then render with RenderMan.

It's actually called "VectRMan", and it comes with the PhotoRealistic
RenderMan package on all machines mentioned above. It's not real-time (in
the sense of SGI realtime wireframes, for example), but it is fast.
And whether PRMan is "extremely slow" is debatable :-)

>Lance

Eliot Smyrl
Member of Technical Staff
Pixar
{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!eliot

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (01/10/91)

>In article <2490@motcsd.csd.mot.com> lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) writes:

>>Yes, it's out for the Mac.  Renderman by itself is a library; you can
>>trace off all library interactions to a .rib file, and replay that file
>>with a program that reads the .rib (Renderman Intermediate Something)
>>file and does all the library calls again.

Excuse my ignorance of the subject, but is Renderman a commercial only
library?  I assume that something so powerful would never be available
in the public domain...  There are several raytrace libraries
available, but few live up to the photorealism that Renderman has
been proven to produce.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (01/11/91)

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:

  [ My deathless prose deleted ]

>Excuse my ignorance of the subject, but is Renderman a commercial only
>library?
>There are several raytrace libraries
>available, but few live up to the photorealism that Renderman has
>been proven to produce.

Yes, it's a product of Pixar.  Pixar is a spin-off of the Lucasfilm
empire, and is part-owned by Steve Jobs.  Renderman started as
Lucasfilm's inhouse movie graphics production system.

Renderman is not a ray-tracer.  It uses the Reyes (render everything you
ever saw) algorithm.  This is described in various SIGGRAPHs from the
mid-80's.  I haven't studied it, but apparently the algorithm is to
break all elements of the scene into "micro-polygons" smaller than
a pixel.  Then, apply radiosity, ray-tracing, and arcane tricks
to the resulting humongous collection of tiny graphics chunks.

Since everything is smaller than a pixel, simple algorithms and
approximations suffice where complex algorithms don't work very well
on larger objects.  Also, the resulting dataset partitions well over
parallel processors.

Lance

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (01/12/91)

In article <2528@motcsd.csd.mot.com>, lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com
(lance.norskog) writes:
|> dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:
|>
|>   [ My deathless prose deleted ]
|>
|> >Excuse my ignorance of the subject, but is Renderman a commercial only
|> >library?
|> >There are several raytrace libraries
|> >available, but few live up to the photorealism that Renderman has
|> >been proven to produce.
|>
|> Renderman is not a ray-tracer.

No, sorry;  once again from the beginning:

Renderman is a scene *specification* interface.
It is independent of and separate from the actual rendering algorithm.
Renderman provides a powerful way of specifiying scene geometry,
textures, special effects such as motion blur and reflection or
environment mapping, camera effects, and filtering.

Anyone may implement any kind of renderer that complies with the
Renderman inteface: realtime, scanline, ray tracer, or crayons.  A
render may choose not to implement portions of the specification.  For
example, a realtime renderer might not implement filtering for
antialiasing.  A scanline renderer might not implement reflection or
environment mapping.

Once again, in summary:  Renderman is a scene description language.
Renderman is not a renderer.

|> It uses the Reyes (render everything you
|> ever saw) algorithm.  This is described in various SIGGRAPHs from the
|> mid-80's.  I haven't studied it, but apparently the algorithm is to
|> break all elements of the scene into "micro-polygons" smaller than
|> a pixel.  Then, apply radiosity, ray-tracing, and arcane tricks
|> to the resulting humongous collection of tiny graphics chunks.
|>
|> Since everything is smaller than a pixel, simple algorithms and
|> approximations suffice where complex algorithms don't work very well
|> on larger objects.  Also, the resulting dataset partitions well over
|> parallel processors.
|>
|> Lance

What you are describing is a Renderman compliant renderer that Pixar
sells.  You summarize it pretty well, except that there is no
ray-tracing or radiosity in the Reyes implementations described at
Siggraph.  Instead, the talented people at Pixar use a host of "arcane
tricks" (like reflection mapping) that simulate things that ray tracers
do (like reflections).  If you look closely at Reyes images, like the
one in Siggraph Proc '87, you will see reflections, but not reflections
of reflections.

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	The better is the enemy of the good.

mingliu@athena.mit.edu (Minghsun Liu) (01/14/91)

I read in the Jan. issue of Byte that several software developers are
working to incorporate the ability to produce RIB file into their
modeler products.  Is there a modeler that is capabale of produce RIB
file on the market today?

			Thanx,

			Minghsun Liu
			<mingliu@athena.mit.edu>

erich@eye.com (Eric Haines) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan12.033252.27767@odin.corp.sgi.com> robert@sgi.com writes:
>No, sorry;  once again from the beginning:
>
>Renderman is a scene *specification* interface.
>It is independent of and separate from the actual rendering algorithm.
>Renderman provides a powerful way of specifiying scene geometry,
>textures, special effects such as motion blur and reflection or
>environment mapping, camera effects, and filtering.
>
>Anyone may implement any kind of renderer that complies with the
>Renderman inteface: realtime, scanline, ray tracer, or crayons.  A
>render may choose not to implement portions of the specification.  For
>example, a realtime renderer might not implement filtering for
>antialiasing.  A scanline renderer might not implement reflection or
>environment mapping.

RenderMan is indeed a scene description language, and a very good one at that.
However, to say that it is implementation neutral is not true in all cases.
Some of the language constructs require certain algorithms.  Understandably,
RenderMan reflects Pixar's research developments.  For example, the
RiMakeShadow() call makes a shadow map (a la Reeves, Salesin, & Cook's
SIGGRAPH '87 "Rendering Antialiased Shadows with Depth Maps"), which is a very
specific shadowing algorithm developed at Pixar.  Support for radiosity, for
example, is open-ended and minimal (the "illuminance" statement), probably
because not that much research on this topic was done at Pixar at the time.

Mostly I like the spec, (certainly it's magnitudes better than something like
NFF, that's dead sure,) but it is not fully neutral to what implementation you
choose.  Some of it implies certain algorithms, and does not easily support
others.  This is not really a criticism (I'd be amazed if any language ever
comes out that is perfectly neutral and can easily accomodate any new
algorithms developed), just something that should be made clear.  I don't
think I'd want to be limited to the spec as a researcher, though it would be a
nice starting point from which to build.  However, a full implementation of
RenderMan will probably get the job done for most people's rendering needs at
this point.

By the way, has anyone other than Pixar developed any non-trivial
implementation of RenderMan (i.e. trivial == scan-line polygons only, no
shadows, with all the other features unimplemented)?  Just curious.

Eric Haines

kelvin@nthropy.uucp (Kelvin Thompson) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan12.033252.27767@odin.corp.sgi.com> robert@sgi.com writes:

>Renderman is a scene *specification* interface.
>It is independent of and separate from the actual rendering algorithm.

Actually, Pixar wants to have it both ways.  They call it a "Scene
Description Interface," but they own the trademark on the name and
have total, arbitrary control over use of the name.

For example, the name of their *renderer* is "PhotoRealistic RenderMan."
So if you use "RenderMan" as a shorthand name for their rendering
product, then "RenderMan" refers to a renderer that happens to
comply with the "RenderMan" interface.

And they seem to prohibit anybody else to use "RenderMan" in the
same sense.  From their documentation:

   "No-one may refer to or call a product or program which did not
   originate with Pixar a 'RenderMan program' or 'RenderMan modeler'
   or 'RenderMan renderer'."

So I presume you can't call your own renderer "Hewlett-Packard RenderMan"
or "Silicon Graphics RenderMan".

>Anyone may implement any kind of renderer that complies with the
>Renderman inteface: realtime, scanline, ray tracer, or crayons.

Maybe not.  You have to obtain written permission from Pixar to
market such a product.  On the one hand they say that anybody
can obtain such a written license.  But they also say:

   "Anyone that creates a computer program that includes any of
   the procedure calls from RenderMan...may refer to the program
   as 'using' or 'compatible with' the RenderMan interface, IF
   THAT STATEMENT IS ACCURATE."  [my caps; some paraphrasing]

Seems to me that last phrase gives Pixar room to yank permission
if you don't have a complete implementation.

Sounds like the good folk at Pixar have been spending too much time
in the company of lawyers.  (Wasn't it just a couple of months ago
that somesuch person as A.R. Smith got caught complaining that
"software patents and copyrights are stifling innovation" at the
same time that Pixar was locking up the patent on jitter sampling?)

--
-- Kelvin Thompson, Nth Graphics, Ltd.
   kelvin@nth.com   nthropy!kelvin@cs.utexas.edu

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.213216.14138@nthropy.uucp>, kelvin@nthropy.uucp
(Kelvin Thompson) writes:
|> In article <1991Jan12.033252.27767@odin.corp.sgi.com> robert@sgi.com writes:
|> >
|> >Renderman is a scene *specification* interface.
|> >It is independent of and separate from the actual rendering algorithm.
|>
|> Actually, Pixar wants to have it both ways.  They call it a "Scene
|> Description Interface," but they own the trademark on the name and
|> have total, arbitrary control over use of the name.

Kelvin points out some valid points about how Pixar owns and controls
the way the name "RenderMan" is used.  I wasn't aware of this.

|> >Anyone may implement any kind of renderer that complies with the
|> >Renderman inteface: realtime, scanline, ray tracer, or crayons.
|>
|> Maybe not.  You have to obtain written permission from Pixar to
|> market such a product.  On the one hand they say that anybody
|> can obtain such a written license.  But they also say:
|>
|>    "Anyone that creates a computer program that includes any of
|>    the procedure calls from RenderMan...may refer to the program
|>    as 'using' or 'compatible with' the RenderMan interface, IF
|>    THAT STATEMENT IS ACCURATE."  [my caps; some paraphrasing]
|>
|> Seems to me that last phrase gives Pixar room to yank permission
|> if you don't have a complete implementation.

Again, Kelvin is correct.  As some of my coworkers have pointed, the
way Pixar is now interpreting "compatible", excludes all but the most
complete implementations.

|> Sounds like the good folk at Pixar have been spending too much time
|> in the company of lawyers.  (Wasn't it just a couple of months ago
|> that somesuch person as A.R. Smith got caught complaining that
|> "software patents and copyrights are stifling innovation" at the
|> same time that Pixar was locking up the patent on jitter sampling?)

Yes, sad, but true.  My posting reflected my understanding of the
*spirit* of RenderMan when it was defining.  In fact, Pat Hanrahan
compares it directly with PostScript, a "page specification language".
Its too bad that noble intentions get warped when viewed through the
corporate money-glasses.

I should hope that this doesn't deter others from implementing public
domain renderers and ray tracers that use RenderMan as input.  That
would seem like an ideal way to make all of our scene descriptions
portable, and would go a long way toward helping us compare the
relative merits of various renders.

|> --
|> -- Kelvin Thompson, Nth Graphics, Ltd.
|>    kelvin@nth.com   nthropy!kelvin@cs.utexas.edu

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

     An overheard conversation:

	"Mach was the greatest intellectual fraud in the last ten years."

	"What about X?"

	"I said `intellectual' "

katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago) (01/23/91)

Chris here,

 Minghsun Liu asked:

> I read in the Jan. issue of Byte that several software developers are
> working to incorporate the ability to produce RIB file into their
> modeler products.  Is there a modeler that is capable of produce RIB
> file on the market today?

   Well the ones that I know right off the top of my head are:

VIDI for the Mac
either "Super" or "Swivel" 3-D for the Mac

VGA-Topas for the PC
            This is a new 8-bit version of AT&T's Topas that could serve
        as a very nice front end for PC RenderMan. VGA-Topas can render
        to 8 bits for test rendering, and then output a .RIP file for final
        output.

        Digital Arts is close to having a fully RenderMan compliant modeler
and renderer. Currently the animation part of the program outputs a
"pseudo-renderman" file called a ".rip" file.

        PIXAR states that hierarchy and complex transformations are the
domain of modeling programs, but these motions have to be reduced to simple
"translations" and "rotations" for the RenderMan file. So, how do we pass
these complex motions to the renderer for motion blur calculations?

  Eric Haines asked:

> By the way, has anyone other than Pixar developed any non-trivial
> implementation of RenderMan (i.e. trivial == scan-line polygons only, no
> shadows, with all the other features unimplemented)?  Just curious.

    Digital Arts (see above)

  As I understand it, the problem is that the renderer can safely ignore
any rendering specs that it can't handle (ray-tracing, displacement, etc.),
but it _must_ properly render every type of geometry in the specification,
patches, quadrics, NURBS, and all. I guess this would include trimmed NURBS
up to 20th order. Sheesh.

  Paul Crowley writes:

>> Has anyone done any work on making things look dirty and worn?
>> Everything in the computer-graphic world is shiny and new.

and Randy Brown replied:

> There is a bowling alley shot that I believe Tom Porter did for Pixar for
> a poster advertising RenderMan.  The bowling pins looked pretty marked up.
> It's true, though, that even computer-generated imperfections usually look
> too perfect.

    The marks were put on with a texture map of random black marks used
two different ways; first as an ordinary texture (image) map and also as
a displacement map.
    It might seem kind of dumb, but if you want dirty, beat-up things
simply _scan_ a dirty beat-up thing. Try prying up a well-trod floor tile.
Use that as a texture or bump map, or as a displacement map if you're lucky
enough to have it. Displacement mapping is _wonderful_! I've made an ice-
cream cone that I'm quite proud of....

    About the Pixar patents thing - motion blur is one of the greatest
competitive advantages Pixar has over every one else in the commercial
animation world. I don't begrudge Pixar holding back this one thing when
I think how many advances they have introduced to my field. To my knowledge
Pixar has had only two products, the (now defunct) rendering engine (and
software for it), and RenderMan. I don't know how they've managed to remain
in business. You can't run a company like a university. Give'em a break.

                                Chris Williams
                                    katefans@chinet.chi.net

Digital Arts *** TDI Explore *** TOPAS *** Video Toaster *** RenderMan (soon)

pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Bourke) (03/23/91)

Is anyone using/doing things with RenderMan?
Is there another group where RenderMan is discussed?

chris@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Chris Arps) (03/26/91)

I just got the Autoshade 2.0 from Autodesk and it includes a renderman
interface.  It includes the ability to write your own shaders in
C format and compile them for use by the renderer.  No C compiler
is needed as the shader takes care of the interpretation/translation of
the C source shader file.

I will be trying to model mechanical parts and will post images/movies
to alt.binaries.multimedia when I get some more experience using
renderman.
--
Chris Arps  ***10 NEW PUPPIES!!!***** *New Music*SONIC YOUTH*SUICIDAL TEND*
NC/Scientific Software, Musican,      *GARY NEUMAN*K. SCHULZE*PETER HAMILL*

pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Paul David Bourke) (04/24/91)

I have not yet talked to the local agents regarding RenderMan for a
Silicon Graphics 4D/240 but I thought it might be an idea to see if
anyone on the net has experience with this product, where one gets
it from, what it costs, etc...

 |   Paul D Bourke        pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz         (130.216.1.5)   |