[comp.graphics] Marching Cubes

jan@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Jan Buitenhuis) (09/05/90)

I am looking for some more information about the marching cubes algorithm.
Are there any other papers or what ever besides this (many times reprinted)     paper:
Lorensen, W.E. and Cline, H.E. "Marching Cubes: A High Resolution 3D
Surface Construction Alogorithm," Computer Graphics, Vol. 21, No. 4,
July, 1987, pp. 163-169.

Furthermore I am Looking for a PD version of this algorithm. Is there anyone
out there who can help?

J.Buitenhuis.

krogh@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/05/90)

NCSA has just released a new product call NCSA Isosurface Visualizer for the
Silicon Graphics workstation.  The code will run on non-SGI systems, but
will only generate files containing the polygons.  You may download a copy
of the source, executables, and documentation from the NCSA anonymous
ftp server ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50).

Enjoy!

Mike Krogh
NCSA
krogh@ncsa.uiuc.edu

hallett@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (09/06/90)

=> From: krogh@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
=> Newsgroups: comp.graphics
=> Date: 5 Sep 90 13:53:00 GMT
=> Nf-ID: #R:<jan:652536877:ux1.cso.uiuc.edu:5300038:000:387
=> Nf-From: ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!krogh    Sep  5 08:53:00 1990
=>
=>
=> NCSA has just released a new product call NCSA Isosurface Visualizer for the
=> Silicon Graphics workstation.  The code will run on non-SGI systems, but
=> will only generate files containing the polygons.  You may download a copy
=> of the source, executables, and documentation from the NCSA anonymous
=> ftp server ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50).
=>
=> Enjoy!
=>
=>
=> Mike Krogh
=> NCSA
=> krogh@ncsa.uiuc.edu

Uh, sorry.  Since Marching Cubes is a proprietary algorithm to GE
Medical Systems, it is doubtful you would find the full description or
source in the public domain.  More probably, you would find a facimile
algorithm - same results, but more slowly.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

c60c-3gh@e260-1d.berkeley.edu (Eric van Bezooijen) (09/06/90)

Newsgroups: ca.wanted
Subject: Bitmaps

Hi there students!

I am writing program a which needs bitmap for a ufo.  Not being an artist,

I am asking you to mail me a clever, 16x16 bitmap of an ufo (white pixels

on black pixels).  It should be neat-looking, and there is no limit to

the level of cute-ness!  Think of it as a contest.  The bitmaps I use will

have your name in my program forever, along with your name displayed proudly

at the beginning of the program.  Remember, they should be in x11 format,

but if they are not, tell me, I know how to convert them from x10 to x11.

Thanks a million, Eric van Bezooijen.

Berkeley:-)Studying:-(Sleeping:-)Dishes:-(Xtrek:-)Class:-(Griljor:-)Physics:-(
W "Having a burglar alarm on a Yugo is like farting in a house filled with   M
o methane!" , self ||| "I'm an OR-DI-NA-RY guy", The Talking Heads, BURNING  u
r DOWN THE HOUSE ||| "You don't F**K with the Department of Motor Vehicles,  s
k Mr. Anderson, we can make your life a living hell", good quote, bad movie. i
:-(Napping:-)Engineering Department:-(Eating:-)Finals:-(Programming:-)X-:((-:c

foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (09/06/90)

In article <HALLETT.90Sep5134014@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com> hallettJ@gemed writes:
)Uh, sorry.  Since Marching Cubes is a proprietary algorithm to GE
)Medical Systems, it is doubtful you would find the full description or
)source in the public domain.  More probably, you would find a facimile
)algorithm - same results, but more slowly.
)
   Well, the oft-quoted article

@Article{LC:MCubes,
  author =      "W. Lorenson and H. Cline",
  title =       "Marching Cubes: A High Resolution 3D
                 Surface Construction Algorithm"
  journal =     siggraph,
  year =        1987,
  volume =      21,
  number =      4,
  pages =       "163--169"
}

   SAYS it is the Marching Cubes algorithm.  The authors are from GE.
 I guess they spilled a company secret? More likely you refer to some
 tweaked version of the algorithm. Big deal. People just want a working
 version of the PUBLISHED algorithm.

   There are several available implementations of the algorithm described
 in the above article.

   Trying to redefine the "Marching Cubes Algorithm" as something
 internal to GE is not helpful.

  - mark

   PS I have several implementations of Marching Cubes. One is currently
   ftp`able from titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30) in directory "incoming",
   file marchingCubes.tar.Z

antony@george.lbl.gov (Antony A. Courtney) (09/06/90)

In article <HALLETT.90Sep5134014@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com> hallettJ@gemed writes:
>Uh, sorry.  Since Marching Cubes is a proprietary algorithm to GE
>Medical Systems, it is doubtful you would find the full description or
>source in the public domain.

I see.  And keeping marching cubes a "trade secret" really helps make it a
standard, well accepted approach to doing volume visualization.

As someone else pointed out, all people care about is an implementation of the
PUBLISHED algorithm.  Whatever hacks GE makes to this are of little interest
to anyone else unless they publish what they are and why they are good.

Furthermore, here's a thought you can take back to your marketing trolls who
tell you that 'Our PROPRIETARY version is undoubtadly better':  The person
who posted the request for an implementation of the algorithm did so from an
academic instition, meaning he is either a student or researcher.  And students
or researchers tend to go out into the working world eventually.  Now, had you
posted an article with a complete description of the algorithm, a description
of what enchancements GE has made, and source to this version(although with
no support for this product), this person would have probably been left very
pleased by GE's kind offering, and would, when consulted for some purchasing
decision in future, be able to recommend that they purchase their software from
GE(so as to have it be supported software rather than just a 'freebie'), with
full confidence in the quality of the product, because he has actually used it
for some time.  After your rather arrogant article, with unsupported
conjecture about it being better than other implementations, he is more likely
left with a bad taste in his mouth about GE's attitude, which is(as your
article implies) "Ours is a better implementation, but we're not going to tell
you how or why, you just have to take our word for it and pay us cash money to
use it."

Since he is clearly not going to pay for the software(and why should he?! there
are several perfectly adequate implementations out there for FREE), your
article only LOST you a future sale.  Not to mention all of the rest of the
people who read this newsgroup who will hopefully feel the same way.

>More probably, you would find a facimile
>algorithm - same results, but more slowly.

"More slowly?"

Do you have any factual basis for this claim?!!

If so, I would be very interested to see a complete analysis of every marching
cubes implementation available compared with your own and some FIGURES
indicating the substantial speed difference.

>--
>	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
>      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

		~antony

Antony A. Courtney                                        antony@george.lbl.gov
Advanced Development Group                           ucbvax!csam.lbl.gov!antony
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory                                     (415) 486-6692

montnaro@spyder.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (09/09/90)

GE holds a patent on Marching Cubes. Lots of people have implemented it for
their own use. There's nothing wrong with that. To make money from it,
however (for instance, use MC in a volume visualization system you sell),
you must license it from GE.

--
Skip (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

antony@george.lbl.gov (Antony A. Courtney) (09/10/90)

In article <MONTNARO.90Sep8232504@spyder.crd.ge.com> montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) writes:
>GE holds a patent on Marching Cubes. Lots of people have implemented it for
>their own use. There's nothing wrong with that. To make money from it,
>however (for instance, use MC in a volume visualization system you sell),
>you must license it from GE.

That's great, and there is nothing wrong with GE wanting to reap the benefits
of their work.  They made the investment in the R&D, they should get the cash
returns off it.

MY gripe was with the tone of the original posting by the guy from GE Medical
Systems division.  His posting basically stated that "ours is better, and the
REAL thing, everything else is fake and is neither as good nor as fast."  To
make claims like this without any real support does not shed a favorable light
on GE.  Furthermore, the original inquiry about marching cubes came from an
individual at an academic institution who clearly had no intention of
purchasing the software, and the followup articles were from places like NCSA
who are quite clearly NOT using Marching Cubes in a for-profit product
development effort.

I still assert that it would have been to GE's advantage to make all this
software freely and easily available to academics from the start, but that is
neither here nor there.  I'll leave market theory to the financial analysts.
Clearly *THEY* know how to make a computer company succesfull...

george@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (George Travan) (09/10/90)

In article <MONTNARO.90Sep8232504@spyder.crd.ge.com>, montnaro@spyder.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) writes:

> GE holds a patent on Marching Cubes. Lots of people have implemented it for
> their own use. There's nothing wrong with that. To make money from it,
> however (for instance, use MC in a volume visualization system you sell),
> you must license it from GE.
>
> --
> Skip (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

how can GE patent marching cubes?! i'm sure they can patent the NAME
Marching Cubes or even Dividing Cubes but how can they patent the idea
when the same method to construct a surface from a grid of 3D values was
described by Wyvill et al 1986. sure the implementation details were
slightly different as were the optimizations, application area. The surface
generated is the SAME nevertheless.Better in some respects, due to fact
that Lorenson, Cline method might produce 'false' holes in some cases.

this 'smells' the same as the PIXAR patent on MAXIMUM LIKLIHOOD feature
classifiers for medical images.

what gives here? this has to be a joke!

Reference: Wyvill G et al...
           Data Structures for Soft Objects.
           The Visual Computer (AUGUST 1986), 227-234.

George Travan "rebel without a clue"            PHONE :  +61 8 2285968
University of Adelaide                          Telex : UNIVAD AA89141
G.P.O Box 498 Adelaide                          FAX   :  +61 8 2240464
AUSTRALIA  5001                                 e_mail: george@frodo.ua.oz.au

cullip@sargent.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) (10/03/90)

Does anyone out there know of a version of the Marching
Cubes algorithm (for finding isolevel surfaces in 3D
datasets) that has been vectorized for a Cray?  If so,
I'd sure like to get ahold of that code.
   Tim Cullip

ganter@milton.u.washington.edu (M. Ganter) (04/25/91)

I know within the last year the issue of marching cubes has been raised
several times.  I have tried to locate comp.graphics archives to locate
old information.  But alas, no luck.  I remember several versions of
marching cube type code being mentioned.  I am trying to locate sources
for such code for student use.  I have located the code on szechuan.ncsc.org.
I have applied to obtain APE.  Would anyone in netland have either a better
memory or more information on location of marching cubes code.

I will collect any info. provided and post summary if requested.  Also, I
will submit info. to FAQ.   Thanks for any info.

<ganter@u.washington.edu>